Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE's Charity Lords of the Ring

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

murpho999 wrote: »
    What's the problem.....she's presenting....not boxing!
    She's also only pregnant, not ill!

Did you see her in the sports top?........

A very bad look for a pregnant lady.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Enii wrote: »
    Why would Lucy Kennedy choose to do this programme in her condition?
    She's pregnant, not terminally ill.
    Watching RTE trying to make it gritty is hilarious, I've never heard anyone use the phrase "I'm going to take you down to chinatown" in a serious context before. But as bad as it is, at least Michelle Heaton, probably despite her best efforts, isn't involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

What's the problem.....she's presenting....not boxing! She's also only pregnant, not ill! Editing on fights was terrible.....why couldn't they have shown it live?

The whole aesthetics of seeing a pregnant woman in a boxing ring, it's just wrong. And hanging round punch bags, getting into rings, around a lot of skipping, running, punching etc etc, why would you even chance a freak accident happening?

I agree the editing was terrible. Why the hell did they cut the two boxers leaving their corners at the start of round 1? ridiculous. At least they got the MC with the same quality to appropriately fit the occasion. ;-)

What's the story with John Maguire. He had to drop out cos he was too good, and they didnt want him to hurt anyone. Was he a sportman before or did he do boxing. He looked in real good shape from what I saw of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Any word yet, lads, on how we (phone number etc.) are supposed to provide charity to this Lords of the Ring thing???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The whole aesthetics of seeing a pregnant woman in a boxing ring, it's just wrong. And hanging round punch bags, getting into rings, around a lot of skipping, running, punching etc etc, why would you even chance a freak accident happening?

I agree the editing was terrible. Why the hell did they cut the two boxers leaving their corners at the start of round 1? ridiculous. At least they got the MC with the same quality to appropriately fit the occasion. ;-)

What's the story with John Maguire. He had to drop out cos he was too good, and they didnt want him to hurt anyone. Was he a sportman before or did he do boxing. He looked in real good shape from what I saw of him.

Ok, I didn't see the part of her in the ring, that is a bit strange!

However, aestehically speaking, surely a pregnant woman in a boxing ring is not as bad as seeing a ringside Pat Spillane!

Further on the editing, they didn't even show Sean Gallagher getting his belt.

Also, the venue looked ridiculous, chandeliers, hotel chairs....the Citywest Hotel is not a sports venue.

Could they not have held this in a proper sports venue?

• Advertisement

Agreed......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

watched all the shows and i actually thought it was quiet good and watchable...
    ok some of the so called celebs are not A class, but how many A class celebs have we in Ireland?
    Bono wont even pay his taxes here, he'd never get into a ring to get his square jaw boxed of him...
    i'd like to se a second series of it, only a bit better put together.
    It is an excellent idea because with the ego's of celebs, they will not want themselves to be beaten on national TV..
    Therefore trying all the harder and could get niggly...
    SomethinG like this would be excellent in the UK...
    I hope RTE seel the rights and make a packer, as it was a good idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

And did you see Lucy Kennedy's arms!!!!

Whoa, she's put on weight during the pregnancy. She should have been wearing more appropriate clothes - she needed to cover those arms big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

whycliff wrote: »
    SomethinG like this would be excellent in the UK...

No it wouldn't it would just be as bad. What so called UK celebs would do this show, Peter Andre? <<< not famous.

amdublin wrote: »
    And did you see Lucy Kennedy's arms!!!!

Whoa, she's put on weight during the pregnancy. She should have been wearing more appropriate clothes - she needed to cover those arms big time.

But how could she cover her arms when she inexplicably wore a sports vest. Why would a pregnant lady decide to go on National TV wearing this get up??????? It's not like she was actualy doing any sport.

Thought it was a totally inappropriate show for her to be involved in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 let me in

I quite liked this program.Making a bunch of people, that we love to hate,fight each other is about as good as it gets for me,and it's for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

let me in wrote: »
    I quite liked this program.Making a bunch of people, that we love to hate,fight each other is about as good as it gets for me,and it's for charity.

Im sure the charities will get loads out of it , alright, they always clean up whenever Rté do a charidee phone line show..:rolleyes:

Anyway, the while the whole non-entity vs non entity idea is mildly amusing, it should have been structured so that it was either Pro/Am (Katie Taylor V Amanda Brunker, winner fights Twink. Bernard Dunne V Ryan Tubridy, Winner fights Ray Darcy.) or the general public could pay to enter, choose their opponent, and batter the sh*te out of them in any way they saw fit.

I personally would have paid well over €5000 for the chance to pepper spray Gerry Ryan, then stomp on his nads when he was incapacitated, and at least €10k for the opportunity to batter the sh*te out of colm & jim jim with a fire extinguisher.

Thinks outside the box, Rté.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Im sure the charities will get loads out of it , alright, they always clean up whenever Rté do a charidee phone line show..:rolleyes:

Anyway, the while the whole non-entity vs non entity idea is mildly amusing, it should have been structured so that it was either Pro/Am (Katie Taylor V Amanda Brunker, winner fights Twink. Bernard Dunne V Ryan Tubridy, Winner fights Ray Darcy.) or the general public could pay to enter, choose their opponent, and batter the sh*te out of them in any way they saw fit.

I personally would have paid well over €5000 for the chance to pepper spray Gerry Ryan, then stomp on his nads when he was incapacitated, and at least €10k for the opportunity to batter the sh*te out of colm & jim jim with a fire extinguisher.

This would be typical of RTÉ only giving RTÉ stars access to their reality TV shows, what about Mark Cagney, Alan Hughes and Aisling O'Loughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was thinking the same, I don't want to see these limp wristed panseys gay fight each other I want to see Gerry Ryan get the snot knocked out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Elmo wrote: »
    what about Mark Cagney, Alan Hughes

yep, they need a good kicking thats for sure.

Tyson Fury.

That guy that they brought in, is Tyson Fury, a british heavyweight of Irish Traveller descent. He's 6' 9 and has a record of 7-0-0 all TKOs, and is expected to be the next British Heavyweight. I thought it was a bit of a coup on behalf of RTE to get him for this show, especially considering the calibre of the people actually competing in the show.

Above is the fifth fight of his career, a first round knockout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

The winner gets money for their chosen charity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Also, the venue looked ridiculous, chandeliers, hotel chairs....the Citywest Hotel is not a sports venue.

Could they not have held this in a proper sports venue?

It is for boxing and has been host to several pro boxing cards in the past.

For those wondering why there was no vote, what were you expecting to vote on ?, the edited highlights of fights ?.
    The money(€100,000) was provided by Sona, who you may have noticed were advertised consistently before and after every ad break and whenever a fighter was introduced to the ring.

Problems were, some of the guys weren't that well known or would be regarded as a washed up celebrity(such as Sharpe).
    Some of the bits in the show were extremely cringe-worthy, the 'what do you have to say bit etc'

They should have kept the program to the relevant training they do(rather than the circus stuff for the cameras) and the fights themselves.

Anyway I'd much rather RTÉ just alloted the money used into showing 1 pro card rather than 4 episodes of what at best was mediocrity.

JonathanAnon I'm surprised you think getting Fury was such a coup.
    They got guys like Barry McGuigan(former WBA Featherweight champion), Tim Witherspoon(former WBA Heavyweight champion)
    Bernard Dunne(WBA regular Super-Bantamweight champion)
    Jim Rock(4 weight Irish champion and the reigning Irish Light-Heavyweight champ)
    Oisín Fagan(former Irish Light-Welterweight champion)
    Kenny Egan(Olympic Silver medalist and European Bronze medalist)
    Katie Taylor(2 time World amateur Lightweight champion and 3 time European champion)

and yet it was Tyson Fury you picked out.
    I like Fury, I think he's a good Heavyweight prospect who should win the English title next month and should go on to at least European level. However in a way that's all speculation because he never even won the ABA's, David Price beat him when they met.

If it's cause he's the only one of those who's likely to emerge as a potential top pro in the years to come, then Matthew Macklin should have been your choice. , there's him winning the British title and he fights for the European title next month.

I've hijacked this thread a bit and I apologise for that, but I find it strange that someone would suggest the least proven out of all the professional people they got in would be the biggest 'coup'.

Big Ears wrote: »
    JonathanAnon I'm surprised you think getting Fury was such a coup.
    They got guys like Barry McGuigan(former WBA Featherweight champion), Tim Witherspoon(former WBA Heavyweight champion)
    Bernard Dunne(WBA regular Super-Bantamweight champion)
    Jim Rock(4 weight Irish champion and the reigning Irish Light-Heavyweight champ)
    Oisín Fagan(former Irish Light-Welterweight champion)
    Kenny Egan(Olympic Silver medalist and European Bronze medalist)
    Katie Taylor(2 time World amateur Lightweight champion and 3 time European champion)

yeah when you list them all it looks impressive. Macklin must have been on the one I missed, he's a good prospect as well. Amazing when you think of the "celebrities" that they got for the show.

I hate the way that people fawn all over Katie Taylor, she must find it very embarrassing. She IS fantastic and is a very nice girl, but I just hope that she is not surpassed by someone in the two years before the Olympics. No doubt the Chinese, Russians, etc will be devoting a lot more concentration to women's boxing now that it is an Olympic sport.

Advertisement