Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leave your mobile phone at home

Options
  • 10-06-2009 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I got to work this morning and realised I'd left my phone at home. My initial reaction was 'Bollix' - but then after thinking about it, I felt a great sense of freedom!

Nobody can ring or text me today, *bothering me - "Where r u?"........."What u up 2?" all that jazz. - I could go anywhere, do anything, and be un-reachable, which is something we're not used to anymore..

So go on, switch your phone off, or leave it at home the next time you're going out for the day. You will be able to survive without it, people were doing it for thousands of years!

*not that anyone ever does get in touch :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You're going to break down on the drive home, on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

bit harsh - but ye we need phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

bit harsh - but ye we need phones

gone where the days of memorising peoples numbers :rolleyes:
    you dont need a phone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

posted at 8.48.

starts to regret post at 9.08.

starts to think, " wonder how many messages i have" at 9.18.

breaks into a cold sweat at 9.28.

goes home sick at 9.38 to realise that nobody has text him and couldnt give a sh*t either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

funny thing is , Ten years ago you could arrange to me someone in a pub anywhere in the country in 2 months time , and he/she would be there , no phone needed .
    Now ppl need phones to tell them the time ,. reminders that the agreeded to meet ppl in a hour. I regularly forget my phone , those days are the nice and quiet.

then again I am using the internet so phone isnt really that important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Replied, via txt*. Now you'll just have to wait and wonder.

*I lied. I didn't text a reply because I too left my portable telephone at home :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

If you want to check your messages, dial your number but put a 5 after the 08x part...
    so say your number was 086 123 4567 you dial 086 5 123 4567. Enter your pin et voila.

Note: pranksters and jealous/paranoid spouses can also use this trick to their advantage (changing message minder, etc.). The default pin number is 0000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

If you want to check your messages, dial your number but put a 5 after the 08x part...
    so say your number was 086 123 4567 you dial 086 5 123 4567. Enter your pin et voila.

Note: pranksters can also use this trick to their advantage (changing message minder, etc.). The default pin number is 0000.

Ah, that old trick! We used to have great fun with that one back when mobiles were the new phenomenon. Some people wouldn't realise that their outgoing message was changed for months.

Good Times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm just amazed at people grocery market shopping with their mobiles out, chatting about sale items and whether they have a competitive price, while their phone bill continues to run up.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

I'm just amazed at people grocery market shopping with their mobiles out, chatting about sale items and whether they have a competitive price, while their phone bill continues to run up.:rolleyes:

I've unlimited calls and texts to other people on the same network. I can talk for hours wandering around a shop and not be running up my bill..... if I was so inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I didn't have a phone for a week not so long ago. Didn't bother me in the slightest. Well, after the first couple of days of withdrawal it didn't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Find it annoying when people leave their mobile phone at the same place in their house. not very mobile, I say....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, what are you going to do on your toilet break?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I got to work this morning and realised I'd left my phone at home. My initial reaction was 'Bollix' - but then after thinking about it, I felt a great sense of freedom!

Nobody can ring or text me today, *bothering me - "Where r u?"........."What u up 2?" all that jazz. - I could go anywhere, do anything, and be un-reachable, which is something we're not used to anymore..

So go on, switch your phone off, or leave it at home the next time you're going out for the day. You will be able to survive without it, people were doing it for thousands of years!

*not that anyone ever does get in touch :(

I just fainted....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

antodeco wrote: »
    OP, what are you going to do on your toilet break?

write graffiti in hyrogliffics with shít on the cubilce wall...

- Drav!

I couldn't survive the day without the phone. I don't even leave it on my desk even if I'm only going somewhere for 5 mins it goes in the pocket.

One of the reasons for this is I hate when I ring people and they don't answer as they are not keeping an eye on their phone/leave it in another room. Also if I get a call of a private number and miss it I will be wondering who it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Also if I get a call of a private number and miss it I will be wondering who it was.

Their fault for leaving it set as private number, if they don't give me the opportunity to call'em back, it's not my problem that i've missed the call in the first place.

Don't understand why people would do that anyway, most of the people that'd have my number, I'd have there's anyway.

- Drav!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Their fault for leaving it set as private number, if they don't give me the opportunity to call'em back, it's not my problem that i've missed the call in the first place.

Don't understand why people would do that anyway, most of the people that'd have my number, I'd have there's anyway.

- Drav!

I try not to answer private numbers. If it's important, they'll ring back, then I'll contemplate answering it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

And another thread descends into the private number debate.....

Baldie wrote: »
    I try not to answer private numbers. If it's important, they'll ring back, then I'll contemplate answering it...

From my experience the work(office) phones of people I know are on private which they cannot change or people who ring from bigger offices a number comes up that isn't necessarily their number. This also goes for places that may be calling like your car insurance company etc.

I will answer a private number because If I don't I will keep wondering who it was until I find out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

When I'm at home, I turn mine off completely.
    Those calls that are important me - my home number is known by only serious people.
    If the phone rings at home it's either for 'er or its work for me.

Best thing I ever do is turn it off at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I always "forget" to bring my phone - and that usually results in people thinking that I ignore them.

I just hate being contactable 24-7 its good to leave the tracker at home every once and awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

i was only talking to a mate of mine about this 2 weeks ago, i was going out in Dublin and i left my phone at the house i was staying in by mistake.. ended up loosing everyone haha..
    its amazing how we lived our entire lives without mobiles and we survived just fine... you could meet someone on tueday.. say "meet ya for a pint on saturday in such a pub" and low and behold you both showed up... nowadays you call someone on saturday morning.. "pint tonight?" then about 6pm "howiya, im in town getting some shopping... we still on for tonight?" 8pm.. "on the way.. see ya there.." the 8.30pm "just at the bank machine.. be in in a minute"

haha were pathetic...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

T-K-O wrote: »

I just hate being contactable 24-7 its good to leave the tracker at home every once and awhile.

"I dont know what a tracker mortgage is"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

antodeco wrote: »
    "I dont know what a tracker mortgage is"

Do you know what a FAIL is?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

One of the reasons for this is I hate when I ring people and they don't answer as they are not keeping an eye on their phone/leave it in another room.

Perhaps the other person is working, at a meeting, playing football or whatever.

Life is too short

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

.......- I could go anywhere, do anything, and be un-reachable, which is something we're not used to anymore..

But, what do you do......you come on the internet instead.......I think that's called dependance transferance...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

But, what do you do......you come on the internet instead.......I think that's called dependance transferance...:D

It's called boredom at work actually!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's called boredom at work actually!! :pac:
    No, that's why I'm here...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

A few years ago I would've agreed with the OP but since I got an iPhone, work is bliss. I can surf the blocked websites on 3G, check my facebook/emails on the crapper and play games like peggle when I'm not concentrating very hard. I have an IM app too that I can use on the sly to talk to facebook, gmail and msn contacts at once. I haven't forgot it but the battery ran out at 2pm yesterday and was severely missed

Advertisement