Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    I'm size 11!
    Further incentive to hit your target then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Further incentive to hit your target then ;)

I don't have to hit my target, the bet is for sub 4 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Ah, but my miles are quality miles, so they count double.

What; are they like away goals in Europe?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ah, but my miles are quality miles, so they count double.

Is this like the way calories don't count for women if they're from someone else's plate? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    What; are they like away goals in Europe?

It's a very simple formula, ((1x(PMP-AP))xM=M'. I'll be converting the entries in the 1000 mile table shortly - it turns out I've already completed the challenge. Which is nice.

• Advertisement

Is this like the way calories don't count for women if they're from someone else's plate? :pac:

Its more like the way thinking about doing some stretching counts as stretching :D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

It's a very simple formula, ((1x(PMP-AP))xM=M'. I'll be converting the entries in the 1000 mile table shortly - it turns out I've already completed the challenge. Which is nice.

Seems like you're caught between the quantity vs. quality connundrum
    1000 miles is only a measure of quantity a sub 20 min 5km is a measure of quality. Its like the difference between a mass produced Toyota and a custom crafted Ferrari F430 Spider.
    I myself have no such issues, quality is where it's at
    That is all:pac:

13.39 miles in 119:59

Ran up to the park, to let the non-club runners know I hadn't forgotten my roots, and jogged around at their slow pace :rolleyes:, then picked things up a bit for the run home:cool:

Pace about 8.30 to and from the park, and 9.30 in there.

mtd: 30.89

3.81 miles in 26:50

Club session, 5 x 1k intervals
    Short warmup, then intervals
    3.56 (6.35 pace)
    3.50 (6.21 pace)
    3.52 (6.22 pace)
    3.49 (6.21 pace)
    4.00 (6.40 pace)
    and a short warmdown. Was feeling a bit tired, but it was a good session in the end.

mtd: 34.7

5.32 miles in 51:36 (9.42 pace)

recovery run back into work

mtd: 40.02

• Advertisement

6 miles in 48:55 (8.09 pace)

Easy club session tonight - 6 miles at an easy enough pace, getting slightly faster as we went along and spread out - 8.50, 8.07, 8.02, 8.12, 7.57, 7.44. Was well-timed, actually, didn't want to be wrecked before Sunday's race.

mtd: 46.02

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Whats the goal for Sunday?

Sub 34 33 34!

5.29 miles in 49:49 (9.25 pace)

recovery run into work. legs went a little faster this morning - less to recover from I guess.

mtd: 51.31

5.29 miles in 49:49 (9.25 pace)

recovery run into work. legs went a little faster this morning - less to recover from I guess.

mtd: 51.31

Forgot to wish you all the best for Sunday last night
    Enjoy- you'll fairly have the hammer down to bring it home in 33 or 34!

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Forgot to wish you all the best for Sunday last night
    Enjoy- you'll fairly have the hammer down to bring it home in 33 or 34!

33!!!

6.30 to 6.40 pace throughout. The trick will be keeping to that pace in the first mile he says over-confidently

6.30 to 6.40 pace throughout. The trick will be keeping to that pace in the first mile he says over-confidently

No problem to you.

I was a touch saddened to pass you so early on the 1,000 mile challenge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I think it's important to start in the right area. A few years ago I would have been happy to run 40-45 minutes and would have slotted in well back the field. Now my times have improved a lot, I find myself starting much further up. It's not a case of being held up, it's just that your pace will be influenced by those around you. Last year sub 34 would have you in the top 25%. Be confident, find the right starting area and use those around you to find your pace. It might not be the 6.30 pace exactly, but should be in the right ball park. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I guess I will find somewhere in the middle then :)

• Advertisement

I'm sure you'll be able to take inspiration from my pacing in Leixlip! :D:D:D

Best of luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

+ 1 on the be confident remarks. Not just in your ability but be confient enough in your race plan. Run your own race and dont get sucked into running too fast to early. There is always time to make up for going too slow in the first mile but it very hard to maintain after you have gone off too hard in the first.
    Your well able for it just mentally focus in miles 3-4 to keep your head through these and there is no reason you wont hit your target

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ray, best of luck on Sunday.
    Looks like I'll be at the finish line to cheer people on..... (if I can keep up with the speedy speedsters I'm running with) :rolleyes:

Went over to Base2Race/Amphibian King yesterday and got myself a new pair of runners (but in black) to go with my Boards top, so today I was ready to race.

The top was great for meeting Boardsies - Woddle spotted me at the school, and we met husker du, the vaggabond, ger, and perkina before the start. (No, I can't remember anyone's real name:D) It was a miserable looking morning, but the rain stopped before we got going - still a bit windy though :(

The race start was a bit sudden, no preambles just the hooter and we were off. I'd worked my way up to about 5/6 rows from the front, so it only took a couple of hundred metres for me to get clear of the walkers/slower runners, check my pace, and start slowing down to something sustainable. The first mile was easy enough, settled at 6.39 pace which was a little slower than I'd have liked, but in the right range, and kept that up for the next half mile or so.

The problem was the straight back up Whitehall Road and into the wind, from about 1.5-2.5 miles. I thought I was doing okay - effort was a little higher but I seemed to be going at the same pace, I was gaining on the people in front - but then I checked my watch and found I'd dropped pace by 20-30 seconds :eek: Mile 2 was 6.48, and mile 3 was 7.03.

Things picked up again when I turned out of the wind, back along Templeville and Wainsfort, back to 6.40 in mile 4, but then the last mile was back up Whitehall. Second time around was even worse because we were more spread out, there was no shelter to find behind other runners at all. Sped up again for the final straight, passing the Boards cheerleading crew, but even so that last mile was 7.05 - pretty poor.

5 miles in 34:22 (official time 34.24, and I took a couple of seconds to cross the start line, so about right)

So, what to take from the day? It was a PB by a minute, so not too bad, but not a great run. Meno said I was looking too comfortable at the end and he was completely right - at the MSB 5k I dragged myself across the finish line, and spent the next 10 minutes flat on my back on the road. It wasn't pretty, but I'd really pushed myself. Today I could sprint over the finish line, get my bag, and saunter back to meno, mrslow, and jcsmum. A minute or two after finishing I felt completely fine. Judging the right pace is difficult, but I could probably have done better if I'd approached this more as a race. Not many people passed me after the start - ger after about a mile, a woman on Fortfield Road, one or two more along the way - but those that did, I should have tried to stick with. Something to consider for the next time...

mtd: 56.31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Snap The wind was pretty much the same last year and I also managed a sprint finish which showed I had not pushed myself. I think for some reason it is hard to pace a two lap course properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Yeah Ray sheesh if you don't puke at the finish line you just haven't tried hard enough :rolleyes: ;)

Targets
    5 mile - sub 35
    Another big step, but I have three good races to progress in

Just remembered this - let's hope I get the 5k and 10k targets in the next couple of races...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Yeah Ray sheesh if you don't puke at the finish line you just haven't tried hard enough :rolleyes: ;)

D, I missed you yesterday! We were heading off on our second leg of our LSR when Meno mentioned that he had just seen you. Would have liked to have said hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

jcsmum wrote: »
    D, I missed you yesterday! We were heading off on our second leg of our LSR when Meno mentioned that he had just seen you. Would have liked to have said hello.

Ah shame, yes would have been nice to see you too, it's been a year since the Tymon disaster I think.

• Advertisement

Well done Ray
    Good running for 5 miles!

Advertisement