Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free banking rules in AIB changed

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭gerrykiddy

I got a letter showing 40e for current account charges and was told that this would be taken from my account approx 3 weeks later. I did a check and found that B of I would give me a "Golden Account" with no charges. I started the procedure with instructions to close my AIB and open the B of I account. The AIB a/c was closed with 2 days and my account showed that they had taken the 40e plus another 9e for the unbilled period. I called to AIB to ask how I would have known about the changes and was told that it was "on the news" and "in the papers" and might have been on a statement. I was then told that as I am over 60 there were no charges. I asked for the return of the money and I would reopen the account. It then went to "you needed to come in and tell us you were over 60". AIB use your DOB for security and logging in. I was then told that if I had not been so high handed about closing the account and had come in to discuss it they "might" have waived the charges. The young lady promised that a manager would call. Waiting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A question for former AIB customers.

I'm looking to jump ship, I'm reluctant to go to UB after the recent disaster.

What are PTSB like to bank with? I use Laser for most purchases so I'm pretty sure I'd hit the requisite numbers for PTSB's free banking, and even if I don't the standard €12 is considerably less than my most recent charge from AIB. The only thing I would miss about AIB would be their internet banking, is Open24 easy and convenient to use? I haven't been in to my AIB branch in 9 years so would hope to be able to do all of my banking online with PTSB with minimum fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

hardCopy wrote: »
    A question for former AIB customers.

I'm looking to jump ship, I'm reluctant to go to UB after the recent disaster.

What are PTSB like to bank with? I use Laser for most purchases so I'm pretty sure I'd hit the requisite numbers for PTSB's free banking, and even if I don't the standard €12 is considerably less than my most recent charge from AIB. The only thing I would miss about AIB would be their internet banking, is Open24 easy and convenient to use? I haven't been in to my AIB branch in 9 years so would hope to be able to do all of my banking online with PTSB with minimum fuss.

Their online banking is very simple to be honest, less options than UB/AIB has to offer, but had no problem with using it.
    Money sent to other banks are received next working day(tested).
    You can set up standing orders, view and cancel direct debits etc
    They use sms service(codes sent by sms) to set up new payments/standing orders.

Service in the branch was excellent tough - no need to fill in the forms, they do it for you, and ask for signatures at the end. All done in private, unlike other banks i dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Apologies in advance if this is answered below already...

To prevent the charges, do you have to have the €2,500+ as part of your current balance or does it look at your pending transactions (I.e. your available funds figure)?

Reason I ask is that there is a large chunk gone out of my available funds due to a few failed transactions that will never actually leave my current account and I'm edging ever so close to the 2,500 mark if these transactions are counted.

Thanks,
    Trilla

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

My understanding is that you must maintain a balance on or above €2500
    Trilla wrote: »
    Apologies in advance if this is answered below already...

To prevent the charges, do you have to have the €2,500+ as part of your current balance or does it look at your pending transactions (I.e. your available funds figure)?

Reason I ask is that there is a large chunk gone out of my available funds due to a few failed transactions that will never actually leave my current account and I'm edging ever so close to the 2,500 mark if these transactions are counted.

Thanks,
    Trilla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Huggles wrote: »
    My understanding is that you must maintain a balance on or above €2500

Thanks Huggles, I'm hoping it does not include the pending transactions.

Advertisement