Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jaffa cakes Biscuit or cake

• 09-06-2011 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I know they are Jaffa Cakes but are they really ?

I say biscuit

Jaffa cake 54 votes

Biscuit
    0%
    cake
    100%
    byteKintarō HattorichopperbyrneKnifeWRENCHdavetheraveelefantJuanJoseironictoasterBurgogeorgem25JimboxshayxBigginsHead_HunterRayMCjaysessmurfy89Trevor451Minstrel27UrbanSea 54 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sorry OP, AH does not do serious discussion :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭blackalicious

cake
    nobody in their right mind thinks that they are cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

A biscuit goes soft when stale
    A cake goes hard when stale

Stale Jaffa Cakes are hard
    ergo: A Jaffa Cake is a cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There was genuinely a court case about this, and in conclusion: see post above.

Although McVities ones are drier than Jacobs ones.

Jaffa cakes that is.

Jaffa cakes for the mother****ing win!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

OK i'll bite. A cake goes hard when it goes stale, a biscuit goes soft. So a Jaffa cake is indeed a cake. And a nice one at that :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fy1eTe3FPU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

it can go stale so definitely a cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Qi clip and explanation here about 2 mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

They are officially cakes, because cakes go hard when they are stale and biscuits go soft. They may be very small cakes, but they are still cakes. The clue is in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

The "divil" is in the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

they are cakes cos the last few posters look like they know their ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭claireeney

cake
    they're too fr!ggin small to be cakes. Cake is cake. Jaffa "cakes" are for havin with tea, cake is for havin with candles.

the word cake doesnt make sense anymore..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

I was gonna say biscuits, then I remembered having this discussion before and arguing that they're cakes.

I'm gonna keep my mouth shut for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Legally cakes so McVites didn't have to pay tax.
    In the UK, value added tax is payable on chocolate covered biscuits, but not on chocolate covered cakes. McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes in court, producing a 12" (30 cm) Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes. McVities argued that a distinction between cakes and biscuits is, among other things, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was demonstrated to the Tribunal that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale. Other factors taken into account by the Chairman, Potter QC, included the name, ingredients, texture, size, packaging, marketing, presentation, appeal to children, and manufacturing process. Potter ruled that the Jaffa Cake is a cake. McVities therefore won the case and VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes in the UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

cake
    They are officially cakes. They are REALLY biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes
    In the UK, value added tax is payable on chocolate covered biscuits, but not on chocolate covered cakes. McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes in court, producing a 12" (30 cm) Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes. McVities argued that a distinction between cakes and biscuits is, among other things, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was demonstrated to the Tribunal that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale. Other factors taken into account by the Chairman, Potter QC, included the name, ingredients, texture, size, packaging, marketing, presentation, appeal to children, and manufacturing process. Potter ruled that the Jaffa Cake is a cake. McVities therefore won the case and VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes in the UK.[8]

Still nice though what ever they may be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

They may be cakes legally and by name, granted, but they're obviously biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Hmmmm jaffa cakes:pac:

I thought i felt my ears burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Stale or fresh
    Soft or hard
    Cake or biscuit

Jaffa Cakes are fooking rank!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

Dunjohn wrote: »
    They are officially cakes. They are REALLY biscuits.
    REALLY?

Seriously for people saying biscuit, find me one other biscuit that goes hard when its old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Dudess wrote: »
    There was genuinely a court case about this, and in conclusion: see post above.

Although McVities ones are drier than Jacobs ones.

Jaffa cakes that is.

Jaffa cakes for the mother****ing win!

for those of you who don't want to read, clicky here scroll down to number 16, and move along to 15 minutes in. hilarious story of the court case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Orim wrote: »
    McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes in court, producing a 12" (30 cm) Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes.
    i want

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

They are a cake, in biscuit form. So...a bit of both.

BTW, does anyone else feel sick after eating two boxes of them, or is it just me? Feckin' addictive they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

On the bottom!! :mad:

Oh wait .. I mean, biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

BISCUITS?? Don't be ridiculous. They're cakes. Teeny little cakes. Biscuits are rich teas, custard creams (euch) and lemon puffs. Biscuits are things to be served with tea. Biscuits are bland and dry, and remind me of English people wearing suits and dresses and sitting in the shade to keep pale so everyone knows that they're rich.

Jaffa cakes are absolutely not biscuits.

F***'s sake, some people.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

who cares when you've got Chocolate Hobnobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Jaffa cakes are absolutely not biscuits.

F***'s sake, some people.... :rolleyes:

So, if you were in someone house and they where eating Jaffa Cakes, you would say:

"Give us a cake!"

:p:pac:

If you seen a thief robbing a pack of Jaffa Cakes, you would say:

"Seen a guy robbing a packet of cakes!"

:pac::p

kfallon wrote: »
    Stale or fresh
    Soft or hard
    Cake or biscuit

Jaffa Cakes are fooking rank!!!

Nothing like a sneaky finger, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

cake
    It is a biscuit cake, tasty and your stomach or tastebuds couldn't care less what it is once it doesn't have killer E coli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

murrayp4 wrote: »
    A biscuit goes soft when stale
    A cake goes hard when stale

Stale Jaffa Cakes are hard
    ergo: A Jaffa Cake is a cake
    But wait..... doesnt that mean a stale biscuit becomes a cake and a stale cake becomes a biscuit?

Advertisement