Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

cantdecide wrote: »
    You probably have entitlements to AM, B, BE, W, C1 and C1E- these are a very common set of entitlements that drivers would have gotten in the UK and Ireland up until the very early 90's for passing the car test. C1 and C1E are group 2 categories and since you no longer wish to use them, you can submit a declaration to surrender categories form. Bear in mind that if you let these categories lapse for more than 10 years, you will lose the entitlement to add them back onto your licence- these cats are very useful if you ever want to drive a decent sized camper in the future. If you do want to add them in the future, you just have to apply again and bring a medical report.

Since it appears that none of your group 1 categories had the 101 notation you won't need a medical report this time. Your dec. of surrender clears your group 2 categories. Since you still wear glasses, just tick yes to q22. This time, there is a different section for 'global' notations at the bottom of the card and the 01 notation will go there to denote you need to wear glasses to drive any vehicle.

cantdecide me too,the reason I was just going to go for group 1 was that I wouldn't have all the hastle with medical forms etc,have drove large vans pulling big trailers for years in the construction industry but no longer and just drive a car.I heard somewhere that you can drive the likes of a transit van on the group 1 category,if that was the case that would be fine but as you say holding onto the C1 and C1e would be a big plus in case down the road I had that cover to hire out and drive the likes of a campervan.
    if I,m covered to drive the likes of a large van if this is correct info holding a group1 license that would do me for now.To have the option to regain the C1 and C1e in the future in under the 10 year timescale if needed I would be happy with knowing that,one last thing the decleration to surrender categories form is a first I heard,when filling out the driving license renewal form doesn't it state that you put in what catergories that your applying for so if I put in for Group 1 licence they would just drop the 101,thanks for your info and patience...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

damon5 wrote: »
    cantdecide me too,the reason I was just going to go for group 1 was that I wouldn't have all the hastle with medical forms

What I'll say about the medical report is this; if you're in good health, your doctor will sign you off- it's not an exhaustive health examination or anything. I doubt it'll be any greater hassle than a short GP visit at the usual price.
    I heard somewhere that you can drive the likes of a transit van on the group 1 category

Using your B category, you can drive a vehicle up to 3500kg. You also have the BE categories under the old rules as you had it from years ago - you can tow a trailer with no weight restrictions except for what the trailer is rated for (your BE category will have the 79.06 notation to show you have no weight restrictions. Anyone that passes the BE driving test today is restricted to 3500kg.

In a nutshell, you can effectively drive a full loaded transit (within reason) Transit or the likes of a Mitsubishi Canter with a mini digger on a trailer using your B & BE categories.

Your C1 is like a DAF 45 and C1E would be like a DAF 45 with a small curtain trailer.
    To have the option to regain the C1 and C1e in the future in under the 10 year timescale if needed I would be happy with knowing that.

Well don't let it slip your mind. I have a feeling you won't, though.
    one last thing the decleration to surrender categories form is a first I heard,when filling out the driving license renewal form doesn't it state that you put in what catergories that your applying for so if I put in for Group 1 licence they would just drop the 101,thanks for your info and patience...

The reason that the declaration of surrender of form exists is because a medical report is a pre-requisite to hold group 2 categories unlike group 1 categories. By signing the declaration, you're acknowledging that you're giving up the categories and aren't driving those vehicles. Because those categories require a greater level of skill and responsibility (particularly the likes of artics and buses), they probably don't want people with group 2 categories not driving them for years and years and then deciding to come back to them on a whim. I know if seems like a bit of a faff but as you know, they take those big, dangerous vehicles pretty seriously.
    thanks for your info and patience...

My pleasure, sir. If you think of anything else, I'm more than happy to help :)

What I'll say about the medical report is this; if you're in good health, your doctor will sign you off- it's not an exhaustive health examination or anything. I doubt it'll be any greater hassle than a short GP visit at the usual price.

Using your B category, you can drive a vehicle up to 3500kg. You also have the BE categories under the old rules as you had it from years ago - you can tow a trailer with no weight restrictions except for what the trailer is rated for (your BE category will have the 79.06 notation to show you have no weight restrictions. Anyone that passes the BE driving test today is restricted to 3500kg.

In a nutshell, you can effectively drive a full loaded transit (within reason) Transit or the likes of a Mitsubishi Canter with a mini digger on a trailer using your B & BE categories.

Your C1 is like a DAF 45 and C1E would be like a DAF 45 with a small curtain trailer.

Well don't let it slip your mind. I have a feeling you won't, though.

The reason that the declaration of surrender of form exists is because a medical report is a pre-requisite to hold group 2 categories unlike group 1 categories. By signing the declaration, you're acknowledging that you're giving up the categories and aren't driving those vehicles. Because those categories require a greater level of skill and responsibility (particularly the likes of artics and buses), they probably don't want people with group 2 categories not driving them for years and years and then deciding to come back to them on a whim. I know if seems like a bit of a faff but as you know, they take those big, dangerous vehicles pretty seriously.

My pleasure, sir. If you think of anything else, I'm more than happy to help :)

Okay so have decided to apply for group 1 licence and mark the decleration to surrender categories form knowing if needed I can get back in the future,came across this van rental company saying you can hire a van on your B licence but doesn't really go into it much..Anyway sorted now what I,m doing with mega help from yourself which is much appreciated.must,nt forget as they request my BLACK BIRO to fill out the form ..
    http://www.vanrentals.ie/van-hire-faqs-d.asp?C_ID=5

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would keep all the categories. Med report is simple.

You will have to get it in future anyway if you want to get the other categories back.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I would keep all the categories. Med report is simple.

You will have to get it in future anyway if you want to get the other categories back.

AAAAAAAAAAGH ....no sticking by my guns with cantdecide,s time and advice before I go LA LA with this whole experience of renewing my driving licence,not a spring chicken and a bit long in the tooth but thanks for your imput,have a good one ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I can't say if they have the forms at the office but they will have them in most libraries and Garda stations.

You can renew your licence up to 3 months early, so you're well covered. They will also give your current licence back to you as it's not expired.

All application forms are available in every centre. It would be a very poor service indeed if you couldn't get a form from the very place you need to submit it!

Bear in mind that licences cannot be post dated-the issue date on your new licence will be the date you applied in a centre, so while it is no problem to apply at any stage in the 3 month renewal window, you will effectively lose the last few weeks on your expiring licence.

shinikins wrote: »
    Bear in mind that licences cannot be post dated-the issue date on your new licence will be the date you applied in a centre, so while it is no problem to apply at any stage in the 3 month renewal window, you will effectively lose the last few weeks on your expiring licence.

True indeed.
    dashoonage wrote: »
    Anyone know if forms are available to fill out in the offices. Forgot to print a D401 before i left work. Have an appointment Monday.
    shinikins wrote: »
    All application forms are available in every centre.

And furthermore, dashoonage, if you're making a special trip into town for a form, the NDLS offices are open on Saturday mornings and have walk-in slots so if you get there early enough and any way lucky, you could could kill two birds with one stone in the morning.

CiniO wrote: »
    It can be any doctor. Doesn't need to be your GP.

What makes you think you need to have it for your licence renewal?
    Just wondering how its ok to get the medical form filled by any doctor when they don't have any case history and if there is anything unterward that they couldn't know about...

Just wondering how its ok to get the medical form filled by any doctor when they don't have any case history and if there is anything unterward that they couldn't know about...

The doc will ask you a set of questions from the form he/she fills out and do an eyesight test if required.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    The doc will ask you a set of questions from the form he/she fills out and do an eyesight test if required.
    Thanks for reply Esel,much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply Esel,much appreciated.

Do it! Much better to have it but not need it than to need it and not have it.

I think you only get the extra categories for 5 years rather than 10 years, but don't let that stop you.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

I'm just getting back driving again about to buy a car but I must have lost my full licence I haven't driven in 9 years and moved a few times too .what or where do I go about getting another licence

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

It's all covered at the NDLS.ie site.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Will they have all my details and will I have to get new photos done before I go get the forms

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will they have all my details and will I have to get new photos done before I go get the forms

New credit card type licence means you have to take your head along with you so they can take a picture of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You will need to go ndls and no photo required they take digital and also you sign digitally also.

If it has expired 10 years you would have to resit the test.

Bring all required document such as proof of address, in date photo I. D and pps number on a card such as social services card or eu health card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭ Romina Worried Repellent

They should have it, but since you lost your previous one.. you will have to call down to a Gardai station to get the form stamped. so you might as well print of the form, head to the Gardai station and then to the NDLS centre. As for photo, the NDLS centre will take it then and there.. so need to bring one.

Here is the form
    https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/DrivingLicence/D401_Full_Licence_app_form.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

You only need a proof of address, proof of your PPN number (im taking my card originally issued in 1999, is that fine) a few passport photos.

That's it yeah? Anything involved with it that can take you by surprise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    You only need a proof of address, proof of your PPN number (im taking my card originally issued in 1999, is that fine) a few passport photos.

You don't need passport photos. They take your photo on the day. Old driving licence and proof of PPs is all that's needed provided your home address hasn't changed, if it has you'll need something to show the new address.

• Advertisement

Oh and 55euro also

Ps book your appointment online, it speeds things up

Uriel. wrote: »
    Oh and 55euro also

heh, yeah indeed.

My country of residency has changed. But keep it a secret will ye? ;)

heh, yeah indeed.

My country of residency has changed. But keep it a secret will ye? ;)

Your secret is safe with me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

You don't need photographs, but you need photographic ID (current drivig licence will satisfy that).

In addition to proof of address and PPSN you also need proof of residency entitlement such as passport or birth cert.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Ps book your appointment online, it speeds things up

oh i will do alright, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

My Licence is up in November. Will I get a renewal letter or can I just organise to make an appointment myself. Do I need a new eye test? I looked on the website but could not find the details I wanted. As my insurance is also up I want to make sure I have the licence sorted quickly in case I need to chance insurance companies. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't wait, make an appointment online today.

See more info above

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    My appointment is on Thursday, my UK license expires the end of October but I just noticed that it says it can take 2/3 months on the NDLS site for exchanging licenses. I didn't realise it was so slow. :(

A lot of it depends on how fast the foreign authority takes to respond to them. However, the UK are pretty quick so if everything goes smoothly, I'd be very surprised if they to the full 2-3 months. If you have a NI licence, remember, you'll need to provide the counterpart too or if it's lost, you can get your app form stamped by the Guards to cover it.
    awec wrote: »
    Do they take my current license off me, or just take copies?

They will always take foreign licences for exchange even if they're in date, unlike Irish licences and permits in for renewal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement