Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Febi Bilstein parts any good?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

are you sure ?....i dont think febi are o.e suppliers.... where as most suspension parts are either Lemforder or TRW in a lot of cars out there

I have definitely seen OE bushes from Mercs and VW with the OE number printed on them and also carrying the Febi part number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

turbostan wrote: »
    I have definitely seen OE bushes from Mercs and VW with the OE number printed on them and also carrying the Febi part number

the part itself or on the box? most suspension parts that are produced by TRW and Lemforder aren't allowed to have the oe part number on them ...and that is why you usually see a mark on the part where they got a grinder to the part number to take it off. I remember a few years ago a big recall of bmw parts because they left the factory and onto our shelves with the bmw badge and part number on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

the part itself or on the box? most suspension parts that are produced by TRW and Lemforder aren't allowed to have the oe part number on them ...and that is why you usually see a mark on the part where they got a grinder to the part number to take it off. I remember a few years ago a big recall of bmw parts because they left the factory and onto our shelves with the bmw badge and part number on them.

eh, good question, though I thought it was on the actual part, you have me thinking now!!
    I've seen parts with the numbers grinded off alrite surely, wasn't always sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing because I sometimes suspected that it was an inferior part that was tryin to be disguised as a better one, but maybe I ws just being overly suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

turbostan wrote: »
    eh, good question, though I thought it was on the actual part, you have me thinking now!!
    I've seen parts with the numbers grinded off alrite surely, wasn't always sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing because I sometimes suspected that it was an inferior part that was tryin to be disguised as a better one, but maybe I ws just being overly suspicious.

no....usually it is ground off for trademark reasons. Next time you get a lemforder or trw part check.. or even sometimes you see it on siemens vdo and bosch air mass meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

sean1141 wrote: »
    As above.. Are they any good or best avoided? Looking at drop links from them

I have fitted a set of febi bilstein (€16 each) drop links to my 07 caddy and already one of them is knocking with only 2 miles on them. I should have known better not to use cheap shi*e..grrr! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Febi are certainly not up to OEM standards, liking Miele suspension products at the moment, great quality and an unbeatable 3 year warranty even on trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Febi Bilstein have bought a lot of part companies, I see their name on lots of different stuff now, Blueprint for one.
    I too am liking the Meyle HD range of droplinks, heavy duty heads that are about a 1/3 bigger than the previous stuff (that had Febi bilstein on the packet) They are strongly made items and not badly priced.
    I got a set from micks for reasonable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I tried Meyle HD control arms on my Passat a few years ago: ended up getting a refund under the warranty. The balljoints were total crap: made from cheese instead of metal. I had rattles from 2 or 3 balljoints within a few thousand km of fitting them and after 20000 km most of them were done. The rubber bushings seemed to be ok, so maybe if you're getting parts that don't have balljoints they might do, but I won't be making that mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I agree. That Meyle stuff is pure sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Some blueprint stuff(Not all) are original oem parts, just in a blueprint box and for usually less money than the exact same part in the car manufacturer's box from the main dealer.

• Advertisement

accident

Strange, I have fitted hundreds of Meyle parts and never has a single one back for issues, its all I use now when possible as it has proved to be the most reliable for me from all the aftermarket manufacturers, even comparing side by side they are so much more beefy and quality feeling than Febi or even TRW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Are meyle had the same as meyle?

I've only heard good things with regards to meyle hd droplinks on alfas....and they give 4 year warranty on them.

The warranty isn't really worth much when it doesn't cover labour and only involves throwing you out another example of the same sh1t part across the counter, thereby just kicking the can down the road another short while.

We get guys in regularly trying to sell us various brands of parts. They always trot out the old 2/3/4 year warranty spiel. I tell them to come back to me when the warranty will cover my labour charge as well as the part itself. They never come back....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I can't speak for their control arms but I do think the Meyle droplinks are good strong items IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

If you have an Alfa159 don't buy Febi upper control arms;)
    Lasted less than 2 weeks on mine before they started knocking again.
    The GSF part (dunno who makes them) lasted less than 10k km.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Which way did you end up going OP?

Also in need of replacing this wishbone. I can get Febi with bushing for €175 today or Lemforder with bushing for a bit more but I'll have to wait until the middle of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ended up buying OE directly from BMW. They're doing a value-line of 2x OE wishbones & bushings for €248 ex VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 liptonvillage

I have used lots of their parts and I don't rate them. In particular their rubber bushes don't seem to last at all.

I would rate TRW and Lemforder higher than Febi. As an example if you compare a BMW suspension arm made by Febi to a TRW or Lemforder part it is clear that the Febi part is not at the same standard as the others.

When it comes to anti roll bar links nothing lasts like OE parts. I know that is not a popular view among lots of members on here but that is my experience and I have tried every aftermarket brand out there.

I've read a good few of your posts. I trust your judgement. You know what your talking about Sir :-)

I'm buying drop link stabilizers. I'm trying to seperate Lemforder from TRW. Who would you go for if you had a choice between the two ? I've Peugeot partner van.

I go along with you about all the other parts. I've used First line, Febi, FAI. and fitted a MOOG a while back (okay so far but I know the moog part is going to nose dive). I got 6 years out of OE parts give or take.
    The pattern now is that the replacements parts are lasting approximately 2 years give or take. It's taking me 9 years to learn what the **** parts are.
    I have the same van from new. I've written in my service book the brand of the part, what part went in and where and when so I know what the **** parts are. Your completely right what you say as regards these parts. Spurious parts last 1/3 or 1/2 the time. Its false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Mood steering & suspension parts are as good as anything else out there and prices are fair, used to sell them in factor I worked for for 4 years and rarely had returnd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Mintoe wrote: »
    Mood steering & suspension parts are as good as anything else out there and prices are fair, used to sell them in factor I worked for for 4 years and rarely had returnd

Stupid spellcheck on iPhone.... Should have spelled MOOG

Mintoe wrote: »
    Stupid spellcheck on iPhone.... Should have spelled MOOG

They're crap. I have never gone back to a motor factors with a part. I'm not going to remember where a receipt is year, two or three years after I bought something. People don't go back a couple of years after a part has been put in. They leave it in the garage, mechanic buys new part and old one is thrown in the bin, thats why you don't get parts back. Its not like its a broken toaster or broken kettle. Spurious parts last about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time of OEM parts. I know it from fitting parts and detailing what has gone in over a 9 year period. Moog are crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

I've read a good few of your posts. I trust your judgement. You know what your talking about Sir :-)

I'm buying drop link stabilizers. I'm trying to seperate Lemforder from TRW. Who would you go for if you had a choice between the two ? I've Peugeot partner van.

I go along with you about all the other parts. I've used First line, Febi, FAI. and fitted a MOOG a while back (okay so far but I know the moog part is going to nose dive). I got 6 years out of OE parts give or take.
    The pattern now is that the replacements parts are lasting approximately 2 years give or take. It's taking me 9 years to learn what the **** parts are.
    I have the same van from new. I've written in my service book the brand of the part, what part went in and where and when so I know what the **** parts are. Your completely right what you say as regards these parts. Spurious parts last 1/3 or 1/2 the time. Its false economy.

Nice bit of free advertising there.

Na, this is good website for picking up good information and getting different opinions.I Always try and pick quality over price and avoid false economy spending. Just passing on what I learnt the hard way. OEM is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Some people, especially on here, will try and tell you that spurious parts will do the same job as the OEM ones. I find this simply not the case, when it comes to suspension and braking parts for example, OEM is the way to go. I understand sometimes budgets don't allow, but I try not to cheap out on the parts that go onto my car. Buy cheap, buy twice as it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I don't see any advertising in his post, plenty of common sense and sound advice though.

Given the choice I'd pick Lemforder.

Advertisement