Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OAOB wrote: »
    I like the signing of Franklin, i'd presume he'll be battling with Garay for a roster spot.

Don't know why we have been chasing Battle so much, i'd take Brinkley over him anyway and we also have the two rookies challenging for a spot.

I agree. Don't get the Battle signing unless Ronnie Brown has not looked as good as they expected he would?

No way we goto bat with the 2 of em surely?

My backfield prediction = Mathews, Brown, McClain, Hester (even though I don't rate him too much but the brass love him) and Brinkley. Baker or Hayes to PS.

The only thing going for Battle is that he can play special teams, which Brinkley ain't so good at (not sure he has ever been in on special teams in fact).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You got a great signing in Jarret Johnson LOLB, don't see him on this thread

Sometimes fans are glad to see a player go but not the case with JJ in Baltimore, fan favourite. Very underrated player around the league

Super run blocker and just superb at setting the edge and either making the tackle or funneling the RB inside to the others. One of the best in the league at it
    Always reliable, no reason he won't play every game

Not a pass rusher though, at most you'd get 2-3 sacks a season
    So if you subbed in maybe Antwan Barnes for passing plays it would be a good combination. I don't know the other Chargers pass rushing LB's

mikemac1 wrote: »

Sometimes fans are glad to see a player go but not the case with JJ in Baltimore, fan favourite. Very underrated player around the league

Super run blocker and just superb at setting the edge and either making the tackle or funneling the RB inside to the others. One of the best in the league at it

So if you subbed in maybe Antwan Barnes for passing plays it would be a good combination. I don't know the other Chargers pass rushing LB's

Tks Mike yep it's safe to say we are happy with the JJ signing. Seems apart from his talent on the field he'll bring a maturity to the LB corps. While we have Spikes there already, it is always good to bring in another who can show the young bucks how it is done.

In terms of pass rushing OLBs, we'll most probably start with Shaun Phillips opposite JJ. Backing them up are Barnes who is a great pass rusher but not much else. Then we have the infamous Larry English who has been kinda broken these last 2 years. He's a former 1st round pick who lots in SD reckon is a bust. I'm giving him 1 more chance and that's this year. If he breaks down again I reckon he'll be gone. Another who will be lined up all over the place is our 1st round pick this year, Melvin Ingram. There are a few more but the above will probably constitute those we will see on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I agree. Don't get the Battle signing unless Ronnie Brown has not looked as good as they expected he would?

No way we goto bat with the 2 of em surely?

My backfield prediction = Mathews, Brown, McClain, Hester (even though I don't rate him too much but the brass love him) and Brinkley. Baker or Hayes to PS.

The only thing going for Battle is that he can play special teams, which Brinkley ain't so good at (not sure he has ever been in on special teams in fact).

Reading a few articles about Battle it appears he won't be challenging Ronnie Brown as the third down back because his ball catching abilities are poor.

Apparently we've signed him as a special teamer which means it's Battle-v-Hester for a roster spot. I like Hester as a special teams player and obviously so does AJ so i reckon he'll be favourite. Not sure what either contract is like but i think both are near the veteran minimum so don't think there's much of a saving to be made with either one of them.

I'd agree with your backfield prediction but Baker or Hayes might be able to play their way on to the roster at the expense of Brinkley

mikemac1 wrote: »

Hey Mike do you know did Baltimore not offer JJ a new contract or could they just not match the Chargers offer.

By all accounts he sounds like a great pick up for the Chargers, only thing against him is his age

• Advertisement

Ravens did not make an offer to JJ

Just too many players coming off rookie deals and had to be re-signed, no cap room left

He wasn't released over performance, everyone was sad to see JJ go

Chargers were 20th in the league for rush defense with an average of 122.2 yds rushing per game

Expect an improvement and some AFC West oppononts to get clattered!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I hate seeing all our players go to SD. Gaither/Johnson not too bad, but we really could've used Barnes.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I hate seeing all our players go to SD. Gaither/Johnson not too bad, but we really could've used Barnes.

And Le'Ron too even if he came via KC.

I like the signing of Franklin, i'd presume he'll be battling with Garay for a roster spot.

Don't know why we have been chasing Battle so much, i'd take Brinkley over him anyway and we also have the two rookies challenging for a spot.

Rumour has it the nose tackles will be Cam and Franklin. Garay will move to DE and backup/share time with Liuget and Martin who will start. Reyes will spell them too.

We'll probably end up going with just 6 D linemen this year ie. Cesaire could be gone even if I think the guy is a more than capable rotation guy.

Rumour has it the nose tackles will be Cam and Franklin. Garay will move to DE and backup/share time with Liuget and Martin who will start. Reyes will spell them too.

We'll probably end up going with just 6 D linemen this year ie. Cesaire could be gone even if I think the guy is a more than capable rotation guy.

I'd be plenty happy with those moves, I'd rather have a big proper run stuffer at NT and Garay is better at collapsing the pocket. I reckon on third downs a DL of Garay, Cam and Liuget/Reyes would be pretty whopper and add in Barnes and Ingram attacking from the outside the opposing QB should not be able to hold on to the ball for very long:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Justin10

After the first day of practice, Whitehurst has a problem with his knee, so we have signed Kyle Boller. Whitehurst meant to be out for couple of weeks.

Gaithar also had a problem with his back, but took part in practice today.

Ingram, Rosario, Royal, Meachem all impressive and McClain took carries as both running and full back.

Gates also took part in full practice and looked good also.

Pictures up on the Chargers forum.

Ravens fan here, can we have Gaither back? :D

Ah no, but our starting LT Bryant McKinnie is gone AWOL and never came to camp :mad:

Marcus McNeill had a strong reputation around the league, was considered one of the better tackles

But got cut last March and is still a FA

Is is injured? Surely can't be done with football, he's only 28. What's his deal, why did nobody snap him up? Left tackle is a premium position

Any insight on McNeill? Thanks, just seeing his name as someone to bring in and I can't understand why a 28 year old pro bowler is still out there, seems too good to be true

Marcus I dont think is 100%. He had a neck injury which resulted in us finding Gaithar. Here is the video.

From a playing stand point if fit, he is very good, I dont think he had been playing up to the standard he had set.

He got roasted by Hali against the Cheifs. He would be perfect for a team like the Ravens, especially in the run game, but I dont think he is fit.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Marcus I dont think is 100%. He had a neck injury which resulted in us finding Gaithar.

He has a medical condition with his spine that meant he failed the Chargers medical and was able to be released. I think its something that will progressively get worse so i presume that's why he hasn't been picked up by any team. His level of play had also fallen off in recent years so he's not pro-bowl caliber anymore

Wow we are down to an UDFA at left tackle now ie. Harris. I know he is sharing reps with Henderson and might be a player in the future but no way should we have this guy protecting Philip's blindside when we get going for real. I'm hoping this Gaither injury is just a knock and he comes back 100% v soon. Henderson is only good enough in a pinch. We were spoiled when Marcus was fit and playing really well. Oh to have a Joe Thomas/Jake Long on the O line!.

On a sidenote I can't believe what I'm hearing ref Gates, sounds like he is back to his old completely dominating self. I never thought he'd recover from that foot injury, great to see, esp with the doctors we have behind the scenes. Watched a bit of training camp on NFL Network last nite, from what I saw the LBs look great. Also, Mathews looks like a total stud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Err, wasn't gaither back the next day? I didn't see anything about him being out for a period

Molly wrote: »
    Err, wasn't gaither back the next day? I didn't see anything about him being out for a period

Nope. He finished early thursday but practiced friday.

He missed saturday and sunday. Today is a rest day, hopefully we see him back out there tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Wow we are down to an UDFA at left tackle now ie. Harris. I know he is sharing reps with Henderson and might be a player in the future but no way should we have this guy protecting Philip's blindside when we get going for real. I'm hoping this Gaither injury is just a knock and he comes back 100% v soon. Henderson is only good enough in a pinch. We were spoiled when Marcus was fit and playing really well. Oh to have a Joe Thomas/Jake Long on the O line!.

On a sidenote I can't believe what I'm hearing ref Gates, sounds like he is back to his old completely dominating self. I never thought he'd recover from that foot injury, great to see, esp with the doctors we have behind the scenes. Watched a bit of training camp on NFL Network last nite, from what I saw the LBs look great. Also, Mathews looks like a total stud.

San Diego journalist I follow said Harris was the story of the camp so far and has been the stand out player for the sessions he was running with the first team. Not bad for an UDFA.

Great story about UDFA getting into camp and practicing with the first team but it shows how light we are on OT that we're one injury (Gaither) away from this situation. If OTs don't go at the top end of the draft it generally means they're not going to be ready to play in heir first year. I think its as much a vote for Harris as it is a vote against Henderson.
    Also need to remember that Dombrowski is on the PUP list, he'd probably be splitting reps if he was there even though he showed last year he's not an NFL caliber Tackle.
    Anyone know what the deal is with Schiling, he was meant to be a prospect at Tackle that took some snaps at Guard last year due to injuries

Great story about UDFA getting into camp and practicing with the first team but it shows how light we are on OT that we're one injury (Gaither) away from this situation. If OTs don't go at the top end of the draft it generally means they're not going to be ready to play in heir first year. I think its as much a vote for Harris as it is a vote against Henderson.
    Also need to remember that Dombrowski is on the PUP list, he'd probably be splitting reps if he was there even though he showed last year he's not an NFL caliber Tackle.
    Anyone know what the deal is with Schiling, he was meant to be a prospect at Tackle that took some snaps at Guard last year due to injuries

I thought Schilling was lined up to be a potential replacement for Clary at RT, but that he might be more of a guard now. Interesting that one never hears mention of him. I guess he should be in a fight with Vasquez at RG. Haven't seen him on the left side of the line thus far. Schlling was another of our late rd pick offensive linemen. At times over the last few years I've been screaming at them to pick an O lineman at certain picks based on who was there at the time. This year no way could we pass on Ingram when he fell as far as he did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Isn't dombrowski gone to IR?

Molly wrote: »
    Isn't dombrowski gone to IR?

Gone to PUP.

First reported that he was going to IR, then nobody sure, then PUP. As far as I'm concerned he is most probably done in SD anyways. He had no right to play Tackle in this league, a barely serviceable Guard is all he could ever become.

San Diego journalist I follow said Harris was the story of the camp so far and has been the stand out player for the sessions he was running with the first team. Not bad for an UDFA.

Is that Kevin Acee who you're following?. Not saying he's blowing smoke, I actually think he is ok. But a guy called Michael Gehlken is the new beat guy. Also Scott in the NC Times is good.

I thought Schilling was lined up to be a potential replacement for Clary at RT, but that he might be more of a guard now. Interesting that one never hears mention of him. I guess he should be in a fight with Vasquez at RG. Haven't seen him on the left side of the line thus far. Schlling was another of our late rd pick offensive linemen. At times over the last few years I've been screaming at them to pick an O lineman at certain picks based on who was there at the time. This year no way could we pass on Ingram when he fell as far as he did.

Yeah I've had it confirmed Schilling is just seen as a Guard now. I guess he is backing up Vasquez. I'd like to see him push Vasquez.

Yeah I've had it confirmed Schilling is just seen as a Guard now. I guess he is backing up Vasquez. I'd like to see him push Vasquez.

If i remember he didn't look great at Guard in the few snaps he played. So Schilling is backing up Vasquez and it's between Green and Hadnot for the LG.
    I'm a fan of Vasquez, has been solid for us, it'll be interesting how he goes with it being a contract year.
    How many OL will we carry on the roster, 8or9?

If i remember he didn't look great at Guard in the few snaps he played. So Schilling is backing up Vasquez and it's between Green and Hadnot for the LG.
    I'm a fan of Vasquez, has been solid for us, it'll be interesting how he goes with it being a contract year.
    How many OL will we carry on the roster, 8or9?

I reckon we could go with 10. If 9 then Harris to PS.

Gaither, Harris, Henderson, Green, Hadnot, Hardwick, Molk, Vasquez, Schilling and Clary.

I'm thinking Molk is gona be a real find so late in the draft. Guy has a chip on his shoulder, is strong as F and is so motivated.

I reckon we could go with 10. If 9 then Harris to PS.

Gaither, Harris, Henderson, Green, Hadnot, Hardwick, Molk, Vasquez, Schilling and Clary.

I'm thinking Molk is gona be a real find so late in the draft. Guy has a chip on his shoulder, is strong as F and is so motivated.

I can't see us carrying 4 Tackles so you're probably right about Harris to PS. Is Henderson a shoo-in for the roster? 10 seems like a large number to carry.

I was suprised at drafting Molk because i thought the team must have liked Baxter after taking him back from the Jets last year but he seems like unreal value so late in the draft. I can't understand why he fell so far, he was one of the best Centres in College last year. People said his game wouldn't suit the Pros, how is there that much difference???? I think he's undersized but as you say he's plenty strong which i think would offset that, i must be missing something really obvious:rolleyes:

I can't see us carrying 4 Tackles so you're probably right about Harris to PS. Is Henderson a shoo-in for the roster? 10 seems like a large number to carry.

I was suprised at drafting Molk because i thought the team must have liked Baxter after taking him back from the Jets last year but he seems like unreal value so late in the draft. I can't understand why he fell so far, he was one of the best Centres in College last year. People said his game wouldn't suit the Pros, how is there that much difference???? I think he's undersized but as you say he's plenty strong which i think would offset that, i must be missing something really obvious:rolleyes:

Yeah not sure about Henderson but at least he has some experience in the NFL.

These are my locks to make the 53 - Gaither, Green, Hadnot, Hardwick, Molk, Vasquez, Schilling and Clary.

After that any of the following could make the team (including PS) - Harris, Henderson, Bell, Bryant (converted DT from last yr).

Interesting that Chargers.com still list Schilling as a Tackle, Kevin Acee tells me he is a Guard.

Yeah not sure about Henderson but at least he has some experience in the NFL.

These are my locks to make the 53 - Gaither, Green, Hadnot, Hardwick, Molk, Vasquez, Schilling and Clary.

After that any of the following could make the team (including PS) - Harris, Henderson, Bell, Bryant (converted DT from last yr).

Interesting that Chargers.com still list Schilling as a Tackle, Kevin Acee tells me he is a Guard.

Was Bryant on the PS last year? Don't remember him but hopefully he turns out as good as converting Dielman did.

Another Tackle to be added to the 8 you listed and I'd imagine that will be OL. Hope Harris is as good as Acee was implying because as it stands an injury to Gaither or Clary will be a disaster for us

• Advertisement

Have to remember the OL will change with the cuts made form other teams too.
    Very early days, a lot of talk of Baxter making the team which I cant see, I dont know if Hester is going to make it.

Im sure pre season games will tell a lot.

Advertisement