Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy 7....by a non gamer

1141516171820»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If he likes his RPGs western or complex don't be surprised if he hates it. It's very basic in comparison and hasn't aged well. It might seem quite quaint. I know a few PC RPG players that just couldn't get into it since it was so simplistic.

We'll see, he's odd, he can appreciate games for storyline over gameplay, some RPG he should love (e.g. Elder Scroll) he doesn't care for and then other games which are generally panned by critics (Fable series) he loves.

I think you have a point though, while I can play FFVII for nostalgia, I find FFIX and FFVIII from that FF generation more appealing to replay for a challenge. Although FFVIII story is poor but gameplay is challenging particularly due to monsters leveling up as the team does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it's worth a try, he might like it. The story will seem quite trite to some one a little older.

FFVIII is the one to go for if you like complex RPG systems. The story is ridiculously bad but breaking the system in that game is where the fun is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

FFVII has a lot of appeal beyond nostalgia. It's become fashionable nowadays to say it really wasn't all that but I've never known anyone who's picked it up and didn't love it. It's more complex than Fable anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it's still a hell of a lot of fun but stuff like the story have aged poorly especially if you are a bit older.

I do however know a lot of people that grew up on PC RPGs that just can't get into FFVII because it's so simplistic. I'm not talking about Fable which is very simple but more along the lines of Wizardry, Planescape, Fallout and Might and Magic.

If you don't approach it as a WRPG it's a load of fun but don't expect people that are older to be blown away by it the way we all were when we were 10-15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

^^ But the issue then isn't really age surely but the kinds of games you were exposed to. Like if you've seen all the sci-fi greats but then watch something like Star Wars the appeal would pass you by, although I actually think FFVII holds its own a little better than SW. I reckon a 20 something year old who hasn't played complex isometric RPGs should still get on well with VII.

• Advertisement

I think it's more maturity. I can tell you know that I liked an awful lot of crap when I was the age I played FFVII which I wouldn't touch now, games, music, films and anime. There is a case to be made for being exposed to better works in the same field and for many of us, especially in europe, FFVII was the first RPG we played. I'm more going on the maturity angle here. Again I'm not saying they won't enjoy it just aspects like the story would be affected by this which lets be honest is a bit of a mess and not all that great.

As for people who grew up on WRPGs, it's something completely different. It's not that FFVII is a worse game than most WRPGs it's that peoples expectations would be skewed by their previous experience and they would be expecting the same experience from FFVII yet would be getting something completely different.

I've actually experienced this myself. I used to hate WRPGs because my expectations were that they should be like JRPGs. It was only listening to Kat Baileys podcast about actually role playing them that I tried Mass Effect and finally got what they were about.

In a more extreme case I introduced my friend to mame years ago. He grew up on PC games like Doom and Quake so when he was playing Contra and Aliens for the Arcade he was trying to conserve ammo while playing :)

Advertisement