Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Syringes and Gloves

• 31-03-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Ok, ok, so it's the motoring section.

But I would use some syringes to suck out old brake fluid and the like and I like to use some latex gloves to save the hands. Anyone suggest the best place to get these without robbing a hospital?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Veterinary surgeries and/or farm co-op shops.

Don't dress/act like a junkie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Rovi wrote: »
    Don't dress/act like a junkie. :)

I'll wear my Sunday best! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

jayok wrote: »
    Ok, ok, so it's the motoring section.

But I would use some syringes to suck out old brake fluid and the like and I like to use some latex gloves to save the hands. Anyone suggest the best place to get these without robbing a hospital?

Thanks!

I'll sell you some...;);)

Homebase has the gloves i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Dont bother with latex gloves, they are sh1te.They split just to look at them, only for light work if even that.You need to get blue or green nitrile gloves, far better and stronger for mechanical work.

You can get a pack of 20 in my local Homebase store but there are places that you can get a box of them.My local autofactors sometimes only have the latex and other times dont even have them :rolleyes::confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Why would you need a syringe to suck out brake fluid? Unless you over filled it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Why would you need a syringe to suck out brake fluid? Unless you over filled it?

Ssssshhh he's really a junkie looking for tips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

I tried using a syringe for brake fluid and it seized up. Like the washer stuck to the body or summit.

You can also get a 'turkey baster' from a shop selling cookery stuff. It's good for getting fluids out but not much good for shooting up though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I use a lot of syringes for jobs just like you described,i get mine from colemans in sandyford village. http://www.coleman.ie/ they also sell latex gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

Any decent pharmacy should have these.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

B&Q had the nitrile gloves last time I was in there.

Before I saw them there I was going to get them from Murrays on Talbot street http://www.murrays.ie

• Advertisement

Given that you are asking, I assume I would use a syringe to make a complete mess of it then? :D

Seriously, there's a few things not necessarily brake fluid.

On the bike, I'd flush the brake fluid by sucking out the older fluid from the resevoir and then adding fresh fluid on top. By pumping the brake levers the new fluid passes through quicker.

On a power steering fluid flush, I usually, empty the container, first, disconnect the return pipe and start turning. Much less messier.

I've a 7th gen Accord. The clutch squeaks - well known. Solution is to replace the clutch master cylinder (meah) or just use some O-ring grease, every 3-4 months. I need a syringe to inject it in via the clutch pedal pusher.

You see, I'm not mad! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Given that you are asking, I assume I would use a syringe to make a complete mess of it then? :D

Seriously, there's a few things not necessarily brake fluid.

On the bike, I'd flush the brake fluid by sucking out the older fluid from the resevoir and then adding fresh fluid on top. By pumping the brake levers the new fluid passes through quicker.

On a power steering fluid flush, I usually, empty the container, first, disconnect the return pipe and start turning. Much less messier.

I've a 7th gen Accord. The clutch squeaks - well known. Solution is to replace the clutch master cylinder (meah) or just use some O-ring grease, every 3-4 months. I need a syringe to inject it in via the clutch pedal pusher.

You see, I'm not mad! ;)

If your changing brake fluid alone normally why not invest in one of these:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_204645_langId_-1_categoryId_212549

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Thats the exact kit I have and its done my last few fluid changes, great kit. Just wish the bottle was bigger, have to keep refilling it for the E38.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Also, my guess is to replace brake fluid, you'd have to crack open the brake hose pipe at the caliper, otherwise you can suck out and top up the reservoir as often as you like, but you won't get the nasty old sh*te out from the brake lines.
    If you don't have an easybleed toy, you will need a mate and a lot of patience.
    undo nut, press brake, redo nut, lift brake, undo nut, press brake, redo nut, lift brake, about 35 times. For each corner. :D

...If you don't have an easybleed toy, you will need a mate and a lot of patience.
    undo nut, press brake, redo nut, lift brake, undo nut, press brake, redo nut, lift brake, about 35 times. For each corner. :D

Oh yeah - I was looking at the sealey VS820. Seriously though I normally suck out the old brake fluid from the reservoir first then then fill with fresh fluid and clear the lines. It means less of the old fluid to bleed. That's what I use the syringes for.

Oh yeah - I was looking at the sealey VS820. Seriously though I normally suck out the old brake fluid from the reservoir first then then fill with fresh fluid and clear the lines. It means less of the old fluid to bleed. That's what I use the syringes for.

Ah, I see, so you're still getting rid of the old, nasty stuff from the lines. Very important.
    Had an old Merc once and the brake fluid in the lines was 20+ years old. Came to roundabout, pressed brakes, nothing.
    Had to pump the brakes several times to get them working.
    Retained moisture in the fluid can boil, leaving you with steam, effectively gas in the lines and gas compresses. Bad idea in a hydraulic system.
    It always amaze me how every garage always tells me about brake fluid, coolant, gearbox oil, diff oil, power steering fluid "Nah, that stuff never needs changing, it will last forever and an unlimited amount of miles". Because they can't be arsed changing it and still charge the same for a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Redisle wrote: »

Thanks for that. I actually went into Talbot St to http://www.murrays.ie and managed to buy two syringes for the purpose (50cl) for €0.45c each. 100 powder free gloves were €6, so I'm sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Just wanted to ad some info I would have found useful.

I was looking for latex gloves in Dublin and found Boots sells them by the 100 box, but they will sell you by the pair too at 14c a pair for powdered ones. Non-powdered gloves cost more I understand. I got mine at Boots at the Jervis centre upstairs behind the counter.

• Advertisement

boombang wrote: »
    Just wanted to ad some info I would have found useful.

I was looking for latex gloves in Dublin and found Boots sells them by the 100 box, but they will sell you by the pair too at 14c a pair for powdered ones. Non-powdered gloves cost more I understand. I got mine at Boots at the Jervis centre upstairs behind the counter.

Those latex jobbies are useless, better off with gardening gloves:

http://www.diy.com/departments/verve-mens-gloves/316033_BQ.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Got a pair for 2 euro in an electrical shop and they last me to this day, just about.

Each their own I suppose but latex gloves just rips in 2 mins for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Gloves from www.caulfields.ie having plenty of dosing syringes around so never stuck, vets is a good place to get

Advertisement