Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

400m Potential

• 22-02-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi new poster here but have been reding this forum for the last couple of weeks
    I am asking about 400m distance and how good I could get.
    I started to try and get fit siince christmas after not doing any sport for the last 10 years. I used to play soccer and was quite good.
    I have been doing things like 8 100m intervals with a 10 minute recovery in average 11 secs and was thinking if I could do these 4 together (when I get fit) I could get close to 44 seconds which would be a very good time. I tried running the full 400m distance but due to lack of fitness I only did 51 seconds
    I am also wondering what sort of drinks I should be taking like protein and carbohydrates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I started to try and get fit siince christmas after not doing any sport for the last 10 years. I used to play soccer and was quite good.
    I have been doing things like 8 100m intervals with a 10 minute recovery in average 11 secs and was thinking if I could do these 4 together (when I get fit) I could get close to 44 seconds which would be a very good time. I tried running the full 400m distance but due to lack of fitness I only did 51 seconds
    I am also wondering what sort of drinks I should be taking like protein and carbohydrates?

Yep the world record isnt bad at all :), its a nice target to have when starting training. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PaullBradyy

the world record is 43 seconds but the irish record is 44. You would be surprised how much a second slower looks like in a sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, if you're only running a couple of weeks, and you can run 100m in 11 seconds repeatedly in a single session, you should probably stick to the 100m (Irish record is 10.18, near as I can make out). You should get in contact with your local club. They'd love to have you on board.

Well, if you're only running a couple of weeks, and you can run 100m in 11 seconds repeatedly in a single session, you should probably stick to the 100m (Irish record is 10.18, near as I can make out). You should get in contact with your local club. They'd love to have you on board.
    I think he sould go for the 400m, could be an olympic medal in it for him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well, if you're only running a couple of weeks, and you can run 100m in 11 seconds repeatedly

No, that was his average. Some were 12, some were 10, you know how it is...

(Making the enormous assumption that this is not a wind-up and the OP is benefiting at least a little from hand-timing)

Find a club in your area that does sprint training, and join up today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

If you can go at 100 for 11 seconds and maintain this for 4 100s without any of the fatigue that every other athlete is subject to, then I would suggest see can you push it out to 8 of them. 8 x 100 in 11secs would be 1:28 and that would be very respectable.

Being able to do 4 x 100 in 11 secs (handtime I assume and no confirmation thats its low, mid, high 11 so lets say 11.5), would mean you probably could get down to the 50-52secs range in a 400.

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    If you can go at 100 for 11 seconds and maintain this for 4 100s without any of the fatigue that every other athlete is subject to, then I would suggest see can you push it out to 8 of them. 8 x 100 in 11secs would be 1:28 and that would be very respectable.

Being able to do 4 x 100 in 11 secs (handtime I assume and no confirmation thats its low, mid, high 11 so lets say 11.5), would mean you probably could get down to the 50-52secs range in a 400.
    He's running 52 seconds already while unfit , could be a bit more in the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

thirtyfoot wrote: »

Could even scale up to the marathon, he would be unbeatable.

OP have you tried lifting any weights, I have a car in my garden I need moving maybe you could "fly" over pick it up and crush it into a lovely diamond for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Could even scale up to the marathon, he would be unbeatable.

OP have you tried lifting any weights, I have a car in my garden I need moving maybe you could "fly" over pick it up and crush it into a lovely diamond for me.

Building muscle might be a bad idea, have you tried shaving your legs, wear compression gear and apply Body Glide to all exposed skin. Orthotics might be an idea too, get your gait analysed, high speed camera might be required.

Try an ice bath and apply foam roller liberally to the legs between runs and you can knock a few mins off your 10 min turnaround time.

Have you read Born to Run ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

OP, if you are struggling over the full 400m distance you might want to look at taking energy gels. Maybe work towards taking one at 100m, 200m and 300m though you might get away with just the two.
    If you feel your pace is dropping they might just give you the extra boost you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    OP, if you are struggling over the full 400m distance you might want to look at taking energy gels. Maybe work towards taking one at 100m, 200m and 300m though you might get away with just the two.
    If you feel your pace is dropping they might just give you the extra boost you need.

I think he is one of the new Cardinals the Pope appointed last week so he is probably observing lent and may have given up high glucose/fructose gels. He may need to find a natural alternative! As long as he avoids the kryptonite he should be grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Ok - unlike the others, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you are genuine.
    If you really can run 51 seconds for 400m, by training since Christmas only, then you are potentially very fast.
    Get down to your local club - they'll help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

LexiLou2 wrote: »
    If you are struggling over the full 400m distance you might want to look at taking energy gels. Maybe work towards taking one at 100m, 200m and 300m though you might get away with just the two.
    g.php

:mad: I said that first. Stop stealing my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Carbo-loading is the way to go. Pop into your local pizza hut on your way to training, That'll do the trick.
    I'm in the OP's position as well. I can run 400m in 60sec so I reckon I'll run a sub 4min mile by the end of summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

gerard65 wrote: »
    Carbo-loading is the way to go. Pop into your local pizza hut on your way to training, That'll do the trick.
    I'm in the OP's position as well. I can run 400m in 60sec so I reckon I'll run a sub 4min mile by the end of summer.

I personally don't think you have what it takes
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62929490&postcount=13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

44 seconds would be a “very good time”. It would get you onto the podium in London.

If you are running 51 second after doing no sport for 10 years then you are an incredible talent and I would urge you to get straight to a club. However I don’t believe you at all, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Have you checked that what your running is actually one hundred meters, our how did you measure it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

In all fairness, 44 secs for 400m is a ridiculous target for someone with your fitness history.

Why not try for something more realistic like a sub-4 minute mile?*

* Like most former soccer/GAA players who do a few laps of a pitch and suddenly think they can attain Olympic standard in a few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

don't believe a word of it

almost 800m world record pace for one lap-after 10yrs out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Defo hit the shakes.

Your training is a little lacking, you could probably add 45mins - 1hr of 5-a-side football each week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I assume you are in your 20s?

11 seconds for 100 meters when you say you have not done any sport in the last ten years is superb. I think research labs could be interested in you.;)

Judging by the OP's username, there is a better chance of him taking home a Grammy Award next year than running 44 seconds for 400m.

Not that there is much chance at that. :P

OP, any chance at all that the times you are doing are on a motorbike? Just asking, as you didn't mention it was from the act of human running.

Edit: You did mention running, but, was it downhill with + 50 m/s tailwind?

walshb wrote: »
    OP, any chance at all that the times you are doing are on a motorbike? Just asking, as you didn't mention it was from the act of human running.

Mario Olympics on the Nintendo Wii. 11 seconds is childsplay though. My auld fella ran a 9.17 with Sonic the Hedgehog one St Stephens' Day. Bloody hell can Sonic run!

I jumped 9.87 metres on the x box kinect. I love the olympics on the x box!

walshb wrote: »
    I jumped 9.87 metres on the x box kinect. I love the olympics on the x box!

Yeh, the problem is these games are too easy. Within a day of purchasing International Track and Field for the Nintendo 64 I had obliterated Jan Zelezny's javelin WR with a stunning 104.xx metres. I think the jav landed on the track. Thank God there was nobody flying around that bend (the longest track event in that particular game was the 110m Hurdles, so most of the track was left unused).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

We're a tough crowd. To the op:
    If your original post was genuine, you are either a superb talent (the likes of which has not been seen in Ireland for a long number of years), or your measurement system is skewed. In either case, get yourself off to your nearest club where you talent will be harnessed, or your measurement systems (assumptions) can be validated.

We're a tough crowd. To the op:
    If your original post was genuine, you are either a superb talent (the likes of which has not been seen in Ireland for a long number of years), or your measurement system is skewed. In either case, get yourself off to your nearest club where you talent will be harnessed, or your measurement systems (assumptions) can be validated.

You think we're tough. I'd love to see what the letsrun faithfull would make of such a thread. In fact I am terribly tempted to post up that opening post onto those forums and see what the reaction would be. I won't though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PaullBradyy

For what it's worth. I ran the 400 on a track with a friend using a stop/watch.
    The 100 metre intervals were all mid-high 11 from a running start.
    It seems from the responses here that 44 might me unattainable. I still still think I want to go a lot faster than 51 seconds as I don't see this as being a great time for myself.
    I am in my late twenties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

For what it's worth. I ran the 400 on a track with a friend using a stop/watch.
    The 100 metre intervals were all mid-high 11 from a running start.
    It seems from the responses here that 44 might me unattainable. I still still think I want to go a lot faster than 51 seconds as I don't see this as being a great time for myself.
    I am in my late twenties.

A running start makes a huge difference imho.

Try a standing start and you might have a more credible time to work off.

Advertisement