Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to use fadas? (Irish language ascii)

Options
  • 04-06-2003 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering how do I use Irish characters in ascii ? I've searched google and read the stickys here in the forums but can't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Hold the 'Alt Gr' button (to the right of the space bar) and press the vowel at the same time. Eg. Alt Gr + a = .......
    ....... .....wtf? it's not working..... emm, my keyboards just fudged, it works tho

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Activate the English (Ireland) keyset and it works. In Windows XP this can be located under Regional and Language options in Control Panel. Then use AltGr with your vowels to get the fadas.

áéíóú

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Fada, of course, is an adjective. "Cuir síneadh fada ar an a sin" 'Put a long mark on that a'. The plural of síneadh fada is sínte fada.

In English, we have the perfectly good word "acute" which is applied to the ´, just as "grave" is applied to `, "circumflex" to ^, and so on.

Must we nominalize the adjective and pluralize it?

In OS X 10.2 and later, just type option-vowel for áéíóú and shift-option-vowel for ÁÉÍÓÚ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Alt Gr doesn't work on my pc. My regional settings are for Ireland but I can't get fadas working.
    Also, I have to press shift and 2 to get an @ sign and i have to press shift and ' to get qoutation marks. this shud be the other way round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

You must have English (Ireland) with a US or International keyboard set up. Go into the control panel and have a gander under the Keyboard settings, or "Regional and Language Settings", under Windows XP.

Screenshot attached..

After you do that, your Alt Gr will work, and your @ / " keys will return to their normal place.

And for those running Linux, niallb posted info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Ok. Thats sorted it when I'm writin in word or notepad, but here in this text box it's not working. If I press alt gr and 'a' here, my list of favourites opens.

Are you doing it while the cursor is in a text box? If you don't have, then it will open up the Favourites menu because it treats it as Alt+A.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Garth Farley

A handy enough way for Windows is to know the ascii code number for the character you want, easily found at http://www.asciitable.com, then hold down ALT, type in the number on the numeric keyboard (num lock on) & release ALT.

So for é - hold ALT, type 130, release ALT.

Handy
    GF

• Advertisement

Codswallop. Typing in a numeric sequence is by no means "handy". For a "handier" keyboard layout specification, see my Celtic keyboard site

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have a look at
    http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin/mearchlar/windows.htm
    for more info - also some apps for other Celtic layouts - welsh etc.

The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator -
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx
    - if you ever wanted to replace JKQWXYZ etc with ÁÉÍÓÚ

BTW: The Portugese Brazillian keyboard is very handy for getting other chars - it's based on the US keyboard so £/# nand @/" etc. are mixed - but you can use :~^' ` to get umlauts cidellas and accents without having to remember any funny numbers ..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

i have been pressing alt gr and [ for years, not knowing it was only alt, its saved me to much time, thanking you very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

Originally posted by Lukin Black
    Are you doing it while the cursor is in a text box? If you don't have, then it will open up the Favourites menu because it treats it as Alt+A.
    kewl
    kinda know something
    similar
    but thats better

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

áéíóú!

so now it works!

woo hoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

i just have my computer set to the english (gaelic) setting and it turns the single quotation into a hot key so that ' + a = á without having to hold things at the same time or nething.

i also have my own question tho, how do u make the dots on top of the consonants? ive heard something about something called "latin-8 ascii' but thats not on my computer and i have no idea where 2 get it. ne ideas ne1? go raibh maith agat!

gleanndún

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Alt-Gr doesn't work for everyone, but Ctrl + Alt + <vowel> should work every time :)

Zoro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Alt Gr doesn't work on my pc. My regional settings are for Ireland but I can't get fadas working.

Use Ctrl+Alt+vowel instead. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Shoolaboola

i use Ctrl+Alt=the vowel
    as in my name Róisín.
    i went to an irish primary school, yay me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bbblueyes

Ctrl+Alt+vowel doesn't work for me. The only way I can get them is to remember the dang #s. Actually I don't remember them, I have a cheat sheet next to the computer. I changed my settings and all it did was switch my " & @. I have win98, if that makes any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Sounds like you've set you keyboard's language to English(US) instead of English(IE). You should be able to fix that in control panel > Keyboard settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

I downloaded the gaelspell spell checker from Yoda's website and set it as the dictionary in word 2000. Set the language and dictionary in the spelling options too.

For my own comfort, I set up new shortcut keys for my áéíóú in the 'insert symbol' menu - Alt and the vowel. Still need Control ' for the capitals. I also made a lot of autocorrect words specifically for Irish to cut down on shortcut keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭coldenmean

ok this forum has helped me thanks guys, :) but i still have a problem.... the only thing that worked after i changed the language settings an all that was alt + ctrl + the vowel.... only now i have this weird problem... it wont do it on the i's....
    áéióú in fact the i wont come out at all.. that was me letting my hand off the other keys to let it type.... i can do Í but not one with a fada... whats goin on!?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

If anyone has problems with the alt + ctrl or alt gr methods, the old fashioned method of holding alt and keying in the number for each character still works AFAIK.

é - alt 130
    á - alt 160
    í - alt 161
    ó - alt 162
    ú - alt 163

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chunga668

I have an extensive tutorial on how to set up your keyboard for Irish characters on my website here...
    http://rossn.com/rossn/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=24&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

What does 'ascii' mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭GaryOR

pog it wrote:
    What does 'ascii' mean?

ASCII is short for "American Standard Code for Information
    Interchange"

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

coldenmean wrote:
    ok this forum has helped me thanks guys, :) but i still have a problem.... the only thing that worked after i changed the language settings an all that was alt + ctrl + the vowel.... only now i have this weird problem... it wont do it on the i's....
    áéióú in fact the i wont come out at all.. that was me letting my hand off the other keys to let it type.... i can do Í but not one with a fada... whats goin on!?!?!?!

Same thing happened to me. I made a new language, set its keyboard layout first to US International and then to Irish, didn't matter, no fada i's, every other vowel though.

I tried typing Ctrl-Alt ', then the i, but all I got was ´i. After some poking around, I found this, under the Advanced tab of the language settings, and checked it off. 20269 ISO 6937 Non-Spacing Accent It had to load from my Win XP CD. Ctrl-Alt i still doesn't make the fada i, but Ctrl-Alt ', then i, works. I can live with that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Anyone know how to do it on a mac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Garth Farley

It's easy on a Mac if you've it set up correctly.

Try holding down the "Alt" key and pressing the vowels aeoiu, you should get áéóíú.

If you don't, do the following: go into System Settings, International & select the Input Menu, and make sure that "Irish" is selected. Unless you type other languages with special characters, it would be advisable to have Irish the only option selected in this list.
    -GF

[edit:typo]

Advertisement