Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dialect

• 19-08-2015 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I was just wondering if the irish spoken on Inis Oírr is different compared to Connacht irish? If it is do you know any sample phrases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

Well Connacht Irish includes Mayo Irish and Galway Irish, which one do you want to compare it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jbb123

AnLonDubh wrote: »
    Well Connacht Irish includes Mayo Irish and Galway Irish, which one do you want to compare it to?

I would like to compare it to Galway Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

It's different in a similar way to the difference between the English spoken, for example, in Skerries and in Malahide, or in Blessington and in Bray.

If you're still at the stage of learning Irish (rather than studying dialects in detail) I doubt that you would notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jbb123

It's different in a similar way to the difference between the English spoken, for example, in Skerries and in Malahide, or in Blessington and in Bray.

If you're still at the stage of learning Irish (rather than studying dialects in detail) I doubt that you would notice the difference.

I am just curious if there is any difference. I am already pretty fluent.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

See link p. 246

I can't post links so i'll split it with -- --

http://eprints.maynoothuniversity.ie/4649/1/BOC_die%20araner.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Aran doesn't seem to have feature of /n/ is realized as [r] (or is replaced by /r/) after consonants other than .

So for example in Connacht and Ulster Cnoc is usually prononunced as Croc, likewise Mna as Mra. Aran seems to have kept original sound like in Munster Irish.

croc-isogloss.png

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

jbb123 wrote: »
    I would like to compare it to Galway Irish.
    Among the Galway dialects, Cois Fharraige (the area closest to Galway city) is the most divergent, the dialect of Aran is very similar to that of the rest of Galway. Now there are two ways I can do this, describe only Aran's deviation from the dialect of Ceantar na nOileán (the sort of average Galway dialect). Or describe Galway's features in general and only then Aran's differences.

Are you familiar with the features that make Galway Irish different from the other dialects (e.g. case differences, verb formation, copular structure)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

AnLonDubh wrote: »
    Among the Galway dialects, Cois Fharraige (the area closest to Galway city) is the most divergent, the dialect of Aran is very similar to that of the rest of Galway. Now there are two ways I can do this, describe only Aran's deviation from the dialect of Ceantar na nOileán (the sort of average Galway dialect). Or describe Galway's features in general and only then Aran's differences.

Are you familiar with the features that make Galway Irish different from the other dialects (e.g. case differences, verb formation, copular structure)?

Tbh even if he isn't unfamiliar I think it would make for an interesting post anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

http://tuairisc.ie/saothar-nua-ar-ghaeilge-arann-le-seoladh-an-mhi-seo-chugainn/
    Seolfaidh an tOllamh Nollaig Mac Congáil Suirbhé ar an nGaeilge Labhartha in Oileáin Árann, Co. na Gaillimhe, ar an Aoine, an 9 Deireadh Fómhair ag 1.30 i dTéatar Uí Chearbhalláin, Áras na Gaeilge, Ollscoil na Éireann, Gaillimh.

Is é an Dr Séamas Ó Direáin as California ach ar de shliocht Árann é, a chuir an saothar seo i dtoll a chéile, saothar a bhfuil cúig bliana is fiche dá shaol caite aige ina bhun.

Staidéar mionchruinn canúineolaíochta ar an nGaeilge labhartha in Oileáin Árann atá sa suirbhé seo agus díríonn sé go háirithe ar na difríochtaí tíreolaíocha agus sóisialta a bhaineann leis na glúnta, idir shean agus óg, agus na difríochtaí a bhí idir buachaillí agus cailíní, fir agus mná, agus an leibhéal oideachais a bhain daoine difriúla amach.

Den chéad uair riamh i gcás aon teanga in aon áit ar domhan, déantar anailís chuimsitheach sochtheangeolaíochta agus canúineolaíochta ar raon leathan éagsúlachtaí a mhaireann san fhoghraíocht agus sa ghramadach. I gcás an oileáin is mó, Árainn (nó Inis Mór, mar a thugtar air in amanna), tá mioneolas sa suirbhé i dtaobh éagsúlacht foghraíochta, gramadaí agus stór focal, go fiú ar leibhéal na mbailte fearainn.

Advertisement