Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tuiseal ginideach

Options
  • 07-06-2015 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what the correct translation of River Field would be. Gort Abhann? Páirc Abhainn?

Grmla.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suppose it's really field (of the) river, so Gort (or Páirc) na habhann (?)
    Let someone else confirm or not, it's been 30 years since I did Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Is this a specific place or fictional?

If fictional, Gort/Páirc na hAbhann should do, but if it's real then it could be different (based on what kind of field exaxtly is in question, or even what type of river, be it stream, creek etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Thanks for replying, for some reason I didn't get any notifications. We're building on a plot on my husband's family's farm. Ever field has a name and this one is referred to as the river field, so we wanted to name our house River Field. His uncle down the road has the same name/address so we wanted to avoid postal confusion and honour the history of the place at the same time.

Oh and I should point out there's a stream at the bottom of the field, not a river, but we want to stick with the name given to it over time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

Oh and I should point out there's a stream at the bottom of the field, not a river, but we want to stick with the name given to it over time :)
    There is actually about twenty words I can think of for a field with a river, be as specific as possible, I know that might sound ridiculous, but seriously Irish is not short of geographical words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

AnLonDubh wrote: »
    There is actually about twenty words I can think of for a field with a river, be as specific as possible, I know that might sound ridiculous, but seriously Irish is not short of geographical words.

It's exactly what it ISN'T short of, which is what I was getting at above :P . You could use glaise (spelling?), sruthán etc.

Can you provide a list in any case. I know a nice few, but nowhere near 20, and wouldn't know a resource to refer to for such vocab.

AnLonDubh wrote: »

Ok well the original field was a 3 acre field called The River Field. Our site takes up and acre of it. There's a concrete lane leading to it and a concrete bridge over the stream that runs along it. The field has always been used for dairy cattle. I can't think of anything else pertinent, except that we don't want to call it The Stream Field, we want to stick to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Another suggestion is

Garraí na hAbhann

http://www.logainm.ie/en/26184

Aineoil wrote: »
    Another suggestion is

Garraí na hAbhann

http://www.logainm.ie/en/26184

I quite like that, thanks. Garraí sounds less harsh than gort.

Oh my mother in law just announced they used to grow potatoes, beet and barley on rotation as well as the cattle, if that makes any difference

• Advertisement

So it's looking like my options are Garraí na hAbhann or Gort na hAbhann? Any other suggestions before I make the decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Gort / Garraí na hEorna - the Barley Field (or even Staicín Eorna as you may have danced at a ceilí!)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

Hi - seo mo chéad phóstáil

Garraí is more of a field for growing your own food, similar to an orchard (úllord), I would think.

Ideally Gort an tSrutha, Gort an tSrutháin, or Gort na Glaise, considering the landscape you have described, but as you want to stick with River, go with Gort na hAbhann.

Hi - seo mo chéad phóstáil

Garraí is more of a field for growing your own food, similar to an orchard (úllord), I would think.

Ideally Gort an tSrutha, Gort an tSrutháin, or Gort na Glaise, considering the landscape you have described, but as you want to stick with River, go with Gort na hAbhann.

Hmm, didn't realise that about Garraí. So now wavering back towards Gort.

Advertisement