Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anyone ever do sessions on a beach (very compact sand) and is it a good or a bad idea?

I'm no expert, but I know there's races run on beaches. also my copy of Ronny Delany's book (signed and presented to me by the great man himself!) shows him running up a very soft-looking sand dune in training way back in the day.

(Of course, training methods have evolved since then, so that may no longer be relevant)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I did on a couple of occasions but stopped when I read an article that running on sand could hurt your Achilles, which happens to be the weakest part of my legs, so I didn't want to take any chances.

Note: That's not the article in question but the first that came up on google and it does mention the same point: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/ground-forces
    davedanon wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but I know there's races run on beaches. also my copy of Ronny Delany's book (signed and presented to me by the great man himself!) shows him running up a very soft-looking sand dune in training way back in the day.

(Of course, training methods have evolved since then, so that may no longer be relevant)

Did a 4 x 1 mile session on the beach in Portmarnock today. It was great:D
    The sand is really compact so it was ideal. No ankle issues or anything yet! I'll certainly be doing it again if no ill-effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Must try that as I can't eat just before running early (have to leave 2 hours from when I eat to when I run as I get stitches)
    Thanks!
    dna_leri wrote: »
    I used to think I needed 2 hours also but found out (by trial and error) that it is much less first thing in the morning.
    Must try it so. I'll blame you if it's a disaster:)

Yesterday I tried eating just 1.5 hours before my run and guess what? No stitch:D Today I tried eating just one hour before it and guess what? No stitch:D:D I wouldn't have even tried it so close to running if you hadn't said the above, so thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone ever do sessions on a beach (very compact sand) and is it a good or a bad idea?

Herb Elliott did training on sand dunes. Think John Walker may had as well.

Yesterday I tried eating just 1.5 hours before my run and guess what? No stitch:D Today I tried eating just one hour before it and guess what? No stitch:D:D I wouldn't have even tried it so close to running if you hadn't said the above, so thanks!

I can't eat within hours of a run, but not because I get stitches. I have trouble breathing, due (I think) to the diaphragm being pushed up by a full stomach and getting in the lungs' way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

davedanon wrote: »
    I can't eat within hours of a run, but not because I get stitches. I have trouble breathing, due (I think) to the diaphragm being pushed up by a full stomach and getting in the lungs' way.

Have you tried removing your stomach? just for the run like

jebuz wrote: »

Great idea. Instant weight loss too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

jebuz wrote: »
    Didn't Prince do something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

rom wrote: »
    Didn't Prince do something like that?

mm I don't think it was for running though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

On the heart rate strap it says to wash it every 8 uses, do you just peg it into the washing machine with the running gear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Finnt wrote: »
    On the heart rate strap it says to wash it every 8 uses, do you just peg it into the washing machine with the running gear?

Just give it a rinse in the sink with some detergent and warm water, then stick it on and do 10 x 400 very fast to dry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Just give it a rinse in the sink with some detergent and warm water, then stick it on and do 10 x 400 very fast to dry it.
    Never wash it. Just give the sensors a good lickin' and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

I've thrown the new 620 strap in with my gear regularly (having removed the sensor part). no problem.
    KC's must have an interesting odour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

oldrunner wrote: »
    I've thrown the new 620 strap in with my gear regularly (having removed the sensor part). no problem.
    KC's must have an interesting odour.

That's why he never has any electrolyte balance issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Easy question, difficult answer.......

I want to run faster. How does one do this?

I had a think there and realised it may be time to get on this mini slump of mine :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Any recommend a good pair of sun glasses that are comfortable to wear on easy runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

statss wrote: »
    Any recommend a good pair of sun glasses that are comfortable to wear on easy runs?

Gotta be Oakleys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

statss wrote: »

aldi 3 euro cycling glasses are excellent.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sunday-4th-may/product-detail/ps/p/sports-and-cycling-glasses/

The ones that have no frame on the bottom are best as they are easy to wipe clean while the others are not.

I have a pair of oakleys also but they are much harder to clean and only use them for driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I've just finished reading 'Born to Run', was completely sucked in/convinced by it, have managed to get a loan of a pair of Vibram FiveFinger Bikilas and have started wearing them on walks etc. with a view to starting short runs in them within the next few weeks....

My question is: is the whole barefoot thing a load of ball-ox? Or will this lead to me becomming a faster, injury-free runner

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I've just finished reading 'Born to Run', was completely sucked in/convinced by it, have managed to get a loan of a pair of Vibram FiveFinger Bikilas and have started wearing them on walks etc. with a view to starting short runs in them within the next few weeks....

My question is: is the whole barefoot thing a load of ball-ox? Or will this lead to me becomming a faster, injury-free runner

Please tell me this is an intentional wind up ?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Cartman78 wrote: »

You are probably already faster, just from having read the book, I know I was.
    To become injury free you need to buy your own Vibrams, that way if you do get injured you can sue the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

drquirky wrote: »
    Please tell me this is an intentional wind up ?!!

I'll admit that my tongue was partially in my cheek alright ;)

At this stage, if someone told me that wearing a diamond encrusted purple mankini would sort out my constant niggling injuries, I'd probably give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Wear them anyway, then sue, and you'll have enough money to pay off all your future physio bills
    http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/vibram-fivefingers-toe-shoes-leads-to-m-settlement-over-claimed/article_c604fdf4-e392-11e3-8e8b-001a4bcf6878.html

This bit of the article could have been written as a direct response to your tongue in cheek post
    "My big complaint with the Vibrams is, people read the book, 'Oh this is great, it's going to change my life,' and they go from zero to hero" and risk injury, he said.
    The book he's referring to is "Born to Run," by Christopher McDougall. The 2009 bestseller tells the story of a tribe in Mexico who run extraordinary distances in sandals. McDougall also talks about barefoot running in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Question

Is it common for ITBS to show up for the first time when suddenly changing running surface (e.g. from 2 years of 100% road training and races to softer, forest park-like path) ?

Have any of you experienced it because of sudden change in your running surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭rob w

At least how many miles does it take to break in a new pair of runners before its ok to wear them for a marathon?

(Im sure its varies by person/brand, but a rough idea)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

rob w wrote: »
    At least how many miles does it take to break in a new pair of runners before its ok to wear them for a marathon?

(Im sure its varies by person/brand, but a rough idea)

IMO this 'breaking in of runners' is a load of rubbish. If the runners are a good fit and especially if you have worn the same model/size before they will never be as good as they are when fresh from the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lbucko

menoscemo wrote: »
    IMO this 'breaking in of runners' is a load of rubbish. If the runners are a good fit and especially if you have worn the same model/size before they will never be as good as they are when fresh from the box.
    +1 on that. Got a newer pair of the same model before DCM last year and started using them straight away without any breaking in period. Had no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭rob w

menoscemo wrote: »
    lbucko wrote: »
    +1 on that. Got a newer pair of the same model before DCM last year and started using them straight away without any breaking in period. Had no probs.

OK Thanks. Was thinking about buying a new brand though. I've never used the same make & model twice in a row, so I've always had a bit of a 'breaking in' period with new pairs!:o

rob w wrote: »
    OK Thanks. Was thinking about buying a new brand though. I've never used the same make & model twice in a row, so I've always had a bit of a 'breaking in' period with new pairs!:o

I'd agree with Meno in general. Running shoes can invariably be worn straight out of the box without any problems, but there's always the slight chance that a new pair of shoes will chafe somewhere and cause a blister. I'd run in them at least once just to check that there are no such issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

my usual easy run shoes (Brooks adrenaline) usually take a few wears to get comfy in so I wouldn't do a long run in them straight away

Advertisement