Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CARBS HAVE TO BE CLEANED?

• 24-08-2009 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

question, why is lately when someone is selling a bike which might not be great the line is, well it was running when i parked up in the shed two years ago the carbs might have to be cleaned or balanced why not say it runs like crap so i wont be looking for big bucks. ok rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

only takes a few minutes to clean carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

actually, instead of making a new thread, i was wondering, i'm gonna buy a fazer 600 s, what's a good mileage on a bike like that, cause i want it for the next 4-5 years, and i'm prob gonna run the **** outta it, like long tours around ireland and such. my price is 2k give or take, year 99+

So would a 54k mile bike be worth buying for what i want? it'll only be my second bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

54k on a 99 is nothing.

Yeah, but how long would a fazer 600 last in mileage, taken care of casually, i'm not a mechanic, would it last up to 150k?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

seanybiker wrote: »
    only takes a few minutes to clean carbs.

Unless its a CBR250... I think its poor that people offer rubbish for sale but if you know what you are doing it is easy to strip and clean carbs. The problem comes when you *THINK* you know what you are doing and you put a float bowl on backwards with all the needles bent.
    Xios wrote: »
    Yeah, but how long would a fazer 600 last in mileage, taken care of casually, i'm not a mechanic, would it last up to 150k?

The engine will go forever if its properly serviced, but other stuff will need constant attention - wheel bearings, discs, clutch, headrace bearings and so on. There are plenty of lower mileage bikes around - buy the lowest mileage, cleanest example you can find.

Having briefly owned a Fazer 600 I'd recommend getting a lower mileage one as they haven't the highest quality fittings I've ever seen. Hornet 600?

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I made the mistake once of fiddling with the carbs on a CG125,my first bike,after leaving it into JP for a service,it broke down that night.I decided it was something simple to do with the carb so stripped it, cleaned it and put it back together.After I returned the bike to JP in a van:rolleyes: they asked who was at the carb,no one I said. Then why is (insert whatever part here,I can't remember) upside down. Fair play though they fixed it. I have an FZR 600 now and the carbs need a cleaning,I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole,infact I didn't change the plugs the other day because I'd have had to remove the carbs to get at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭zzr

Yer missen me point, if your selling a bike why not get all of the bits and bobs done before ya sell it and then you can ask for a good price.
    The point im making is guys want top dollar for a bike thats out of action for a while and couldnt` be arsed to even have it running OR are they saying it will all be ok just pay me and take it away and if it does not run tuff.
    I know get a machanic to vet it first you say.:cool:

Having briefly owned a Fazer 600 I'd recommend getting a lower mileage one as they haven't the highest quality fittings I've ever seen. Hornet 600?

'cptr

I saw a hornet 600 99 that was a very good looking bike, what's the ride like on one of those? i'm looking for an all rounder, which the fazer is famous for? it'll be used mainly for going to college, and/or work along with big treks in the summer, to france and stuff. Track days sound like their amazing fun, i've never been, but i'd prob bring the fazer there too.
    Anyone ride the hornet 600? I'm not sure on the pros and cons of either bike :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

zzr wrote: »
    Yer missen me point, if your selling a bike why not get all of the bits and bobs done before ya sell it and then you can ask for a good price.
    The point im making is guys want top dollar for a bike thats out of action for a while and couldnt` be arsed to even have it running
    OR are they saying it will all be ok just pay me and take it away and if it does not run tuff.
    I know get a machanic to vet it first you say.:cool:

Unless you know what you're doing, you'd want to be mad to buy a bike that's not even running. Some people are lazy feckers, simple as. Personally, I wouldn't buy and just get one somewhere else

Xios wrote: »
    I saw a hornet 600 99 that was a very good looking bike, what's the ride like on one of those? i'm looking for an all rounder, which the fazer is famous for? it'll be used mainly for going to college, and/or work along with big treks in the summer, to france and stuff. Track days sound like their amazing fun, i've never been, but i'd prob bring the fazer there too.
    Anyone ride the hornet 600? I'm not sure on the pros and cons of either bike :(

I've ridden a new model Hornet 600 and naturally preferred it to the Fazer due to the age difference. They are both great all-rounders, the half-fairing on the Fazer even does a decent job of wind deflection.

The suspension on the Fazer isn't great if you are planning trackdays or long distance touring. The Hornet is better built, full stop, my Fazer had various rusty and corroded bits which would never happen on the Honda.

'c

• Advertisement

So the honda is more reliable? I remember photographer teacher of mine said "you can't go wrong with H word"
    What about the bandit, it's in the same bracket, but i think it's an inferior bike, or am i wrong?

Ok, got an offer for a 99 hornet for 1500, it has a good few extras, such as an alarm system, 32k miles. This a no brainer? bike looks in good nick too, all the parts are very shiny.

If you can't find any damage and it doesn't need money spent on it then it sounds like a well priced bike. I'd pick the Hornet over the Fazer but there really isn't any appreciable difference between a Bandit and a Hornet. The Bandit is a bit more lairy I suppose and they are finished really well (for a Suzuki...).

'cptr

Ok, so going for a Fazer from j.p motorcycles on pearse st, gonna seal the deal tomorrow, getting the bike for 1600 euro, with restrictor and my yamaha ybr 125 traded in. 6 month warranty on parts and labour too. Seems like a decent place to buy.
    The fazer has 21k miles on the clock, seems in good nick, just a tiny crack on the fairing, wabbly mirrors, but they're both the same, so prob a thing with fazers.
    So i'm bailing on that hornet, but here's the link if anyone is interested, http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/965353

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

oops. well it's fixed in anyways. Thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

I bought my last machine in Engerland, got a lovely minty never seen rain bike with a thick ream of paper detailing everything ever bought for or done to the bike.
    Two new tyres, very recent chain, and all for a lot less than a comparable irish bike with the usual irish service history!

Ye can fly to uk cities for feck all and train it the rest of the way and ride home.

Great value to be had i tell ya!

Xios good luck with your new bike lad!

I bought my last machine in Engerland, got a lovely minty never seen rain bike with a thick ream of paper detailing everything ever bought for or done to the bike.
    Two new tyres, very recent chain, and all for a lot less than a comparable irish bike with the usual irish service history!

Ye can fly to uk cities for feck all and train it the rest of the way and ride home.

Great value to be had i tell ya!

Xios good luck with your new bike lad!

I'd do the exact same thing tbh, but in my situation, it's my only form of transport, and if i get a dodgy bike, i'm stuck with it. And i'm going into a bit of debt gettin this, so can't be taking any risks, but in the future, i'm gonna take a gamble on a private bike, to make a big save.

Advertisement