Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

nc6000 wrote: »
    Not sure if I'll get a Merkur Futur or a Merkur Progress. :confused:

I've already got a Merkur 34c but I think I'll treat myself to an adjustable soon.

Decisions decisions........
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Am in the same boat myself, can an adjustable be adjusted to be more aggressive than the 34c?

I have a Futur, 34c and a couple of Progress razors. You can set the Progress, either model, more aggressive than the 34c. I find the 34c a tad too mild but the Progress ideal. I use the Progress more than any other DE. The Futur is a great razor but has a big head and is aggressive, not ideal as a first razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

I think I'll go for the Futur, it looks great. I've been using the 34c since Christmas so have got the hang of shaving with a DE. How is the Futur for tricky areas like under your nose?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

I think I'll go for the Futur, it looks great. I've been using the 34c since Christmas so have got the hang of shaving with a DE. How is the Futur for tricky areas like under your nose?

Some people say the head is too big, but I found it quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gaza123

Hey lads.

Been a gillette fusion man for the last 4 years. Finally made the move to de with a boots cheapo entry level thing. After some reading decided to go a step up and bought a Parker 90R after hearing about it on mantic59's videos as a good affordable razor. Will treat myself/invest in a higher end razor and brush and some decent soap once I've a bit of money put away from my new job in Sep. Thinking the Merkur Future + silver tip brush stand and soap set on shaving.ie. But plenty of time to look around in the mean time.

I've always loved shaving. Weird discovering the world of shaving that you don't notice till you take a closer look. The variety of everything compared with what you get if you restrict yourself to the supermarket.

Anyway. Just thought I'd introduce myself as shaving's almost a hobby of mine and it's just been shown shaving's version of heroin I think. So I expect to be a regular reader of this thread.

Garion.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Good luck. You'll never go back. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Giant Kiwi

I've just started using the Futur.
    The head is quite large for under the nose but I am a giant so it's not too bad.
    I find going sideways (obviously turning the razor 90 degrees) helps.

It's a great razor, I'm very happy with it.:D

Anyone had any trouble with the spring release mechanism, they went with for the futur?

Wehay!!! It's here. Now to try restrain myself to wait till later to shave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Giant Kiwi

Enjoy Gaza,

I made a rookie error and adjusted the razor without a towel round my finger and sliced my finger open good and deep. :mad:
    Stupid thing is I'm a chef and should know not to touch a blade at the business end.
    It's a great razor. I really like the weight behind it.

With the 90r? It's butterfly sure. No need for that. The futur's a razor I'm thinking of for the future some time.

Think I like a more aggressive shaver. The cheapo one I was using had more blade exposure than the Parker I'm using now. And though it has it's flaws I found it easier to manipulate around my face, following the grain, and warier to get a closer shave with. Got more nicks. But that could be gown to the lightness and having to press down, or the fact I was trying different blades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I wouldn't reccommend it - the head is very big - up there with the Vision. Go for a Progress instead.

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Cheers guys for all the assistance.
    BTW, anyone any tips for cleaning the Gillette up a bit...looks a bit ...... well..... old......lol

HB

Best bet is an ultrasound cleaner (check eBay). Failing that use an old tootbrush to give it a good scrub.

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hi All
    Spotted these in an antique shop in Galway.

Also this one, though it looks like standard blades won't fit it
    IMAG0523.jpg

HB

The Everyready is incomplete - it should come with propritary bades and a strop. You can't use standard blades with it.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I have one of those, nice shaver if you like ultra aggressive. You can still buy blades: http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

Don't buy it for €10 though - they can be had for 1.99 on ebay...:)
    it should come with propritary bades and a strop

You might be thinking of this:

Valet%20Auto%20Strop%201.jpg

opps....

There is a blade stropping head (autostropper) for those Ever-Ready razors;

Ever%20Ready.jpg

Silly thing is I actually knew that, <facepalm>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

After over a year of DE Shaving, I picked myself up my first scuttle.

I must say I am very impressed... lather is kept nice and hot throughout the shave and it very easy to lather in... It also looks great if you ask me.

The only places I could see good scuttles for sale was the US, but (moss pottery) but they were pretty expensive even before you took shipping and customs tax etc... into account.

However, on ebay.co.uk I managed to find a guy who makes his own scuttles and ships them at a good price... for anyone who is interested see link below - One shave down and I can't recommend it highly enough :)

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/studio_pottery/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

EDIT: took picture out as it was bloody massive. If anyone wants to see it have a look at the pictures on Ebay or PM me and I will send a pic

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

+1 for scuttles. It bugs me when I'm away from home and have to let the lather go cold on my brush.

I see he does blade banks as well, which prompts a question. I've been dumping my old blades into an empty Pringles can with a slot cut in the lid - but, long term, if I want to dispose of the blades, how should I go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Tin of beans..

Eat beans. Take tin, empty your blade horde into empty tin, squash closed and turn the top over, if you can, like a paper bag. Mark clearly with Sharpie marker or similar, 'Blades'. Toss into recycling bin.

The Panda staff don't seem to have bandaged hands\abnormal finger counts when calling for bins since..

Just to add, for close-at-hand, bathroom storage, I use a pill box, typically handed out with a prescription at the chemist. You can buy them also.. the umm.. 'urine sample' containers are exactly the same size, just ask the chemist.

Safer to have it see through, cuts out any doubt, messing.. for yourself and the occasional nosey visitor.

Excuse the grime, this one is about 2 years+ old now.

bladepillbox02.jpg

bladepillbox01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I always put my blades into the bottom slot of the blade box. That's what it's there for. :o

On the subject of scuttles, I've been looking around for a good one. I like the scuttles in the ebay link above. I may get one. :)

Dord wrote: »
    I always put my blades into the bottom slot of the blade box. That's what it's there for. :o

Oh I understand that, but if you're stocked up on say.. Gillette Yellow or Gillette Green, like myself, you don't have that option, they all come in card holders.

The small amount of plastic holders I do have are valuable to hold onto. The Feather brand are probably the best built\nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

oscarBravo wrote: »
    +1 for scuttles. It bugs me when I'm away from home and have to let the lather go cold on my brush.

I see he does blade banks as well, which prompts a question. I've been dumping my old blades into an empty Pringles can with a slot cut in the lid - but, long term, if I want to dispose of the blades, how should I go about it?

he makes a nice blade bank but there's no way I'd be dumping that if I was spending €15+ on it. At the moment I'm using an empty blade pack which is kept in a small safe/petty cash box under lock and key (kids in the house).

Apparently some old medicine cabinets came with a little slot at the back which dropped the old blades in behind the cabinet into the wall cavity. I never knew this until reading it here and here.

Imagine renovating a house and you come across a stash of rusty old razor blades between the partitions, I'd be on to the local C.S.I dept in a flash :D

I was away for the weekend and had to shave this morning because I had a business meeting. Turned out I had forgotten to pack my shaving brush and soap, though I had my razor and a tube of Proraso pre-shave cream. The only shaving cream to hand was what the other half uses for her legs. I use a Feather blade so I expected a bloodbath. However, to my surprise, I managed a two-pass shave without so much as a nick. The pre-shave cream probably helped, as did the idiot-proof Feather All-Stainless razor and the Trumper's Skin Food, though my face did feel a bit tighter afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Michael G wrote: »
    I was away for the weekend and had to shave this morning because I had a business meeting. Turned out I had forgotten to pack my shaving brush and soap, though I had my razor and a tube of Proraso pre-shave cream. The only shaving cream to hand was what the other half uses for her legs. I use a Feather blade so I expected a bloodbath. However, to my surprise, I managed a two-pass shave without so much as a nick. The pre-shave cream probably helped, as did the idiot-proof Feather All-Stainless razor and the Trumper's Skin Food, though my face did feel a bit tighter afterwards.

sounds like you had plenty of backup with the Skinfood and the Feather razor.
    I'm going to try using Silcock's Base as a pre-shave as suggested by someone here a while ago.
    If it works I'll be delighted as it's very cheap, compared to the likes of the Skinfood.

Would you not get her a brush and proper soap :)

MadsL wrote: »
    Would you not get her a brush and proper soap :)

No because then she might want to start using my razors as well :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

Brenmccann wrote: »
    <snip>

Well done, what does this have to do with safety razors then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Brenmccann

sorry wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Brenmccann wrote: »
    sorry wrong thread
    Lucky you said sorry, just saved yourself a "clode shave" with the mods.
    Sorry couldn't resist.

Advertisement