Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I can't believe you guys don't appreciate the beauty of these little html symbols, I mean look at them!
    Δ ∇ ∀ ∃ ∋ ∈ ∉ ℒ{f(t)} = ♥ ◊ ♠ ♣ ♦ ∴ ∅ ℕ ℤ ℙ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℘ ℑ ℜ ∫ℯˣ ∮ ∂ ±÷ × • · ≡ ≠ ≅ ≈ ≤ ≥ √ ∑ᵢ ← ↑↔ ↓ → ↦ ⇒ ⇔ θ ∀ ☺ ⊕ ⊗ ⊥ ∞ ∝ ¯ ⋀ ⋁ ಠ _ಠ

All I'm missing is a superscript m & n :(

Cheers for the latex ;) :cool:

Actually I do appreciate them so bad that I actually have some of their alt + numpad html codes still memorised. (Alt +Num 0186) of cool:cool: (or shame.:o)
    But [latex]\LaTeX[/latex] is much better looking in every way.:)
    (Only con it has is when you need to google help for it on various topics e.g movies with LaTeX.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

decimatio wrote: »
    Me fail english? That's unpossible!
    I have a PhD and I had to read parts of it twice.

In its simplest form, there was an equation (an inequality actually) that seems to hold for most whole numbers. The guys mentioned in the article may have proven it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

G.K. wrote: »

How do you pronounce "tu quoque"?

Is it like the french "quoique"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

robindch wrote: »
    ...produces...:

[latex]P = \frac{\displaystyle{
    \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i- x)
    (y_i- y)}}
    {\displaystyle{\left[
    \sum_{i=1}^n(x_i-x)^2
    \sum_{i=1}^n(y_i- y)^2
    \right]^{1/2}}}[/latex]
    robindch talking about latex?
    you really are a bunch of godless pervs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

seamus wrote: »
    :) "Square-free"? Never heard of it in my life.
    Eh what, squares are bad for you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

boards supports [latex]\TeX[/latex]:

Wish we'd had that when I was doing my thesis - we only had ChiWrite and it sucked

I think (20 years ago now) I got away without scribbling any equations into the thesis by hand, but only just.

Still, I feel a bit dumb when it comes to number theory and stuff - did the first year of a maths degree but dropped it for physics and chemistry from then on. When my friend who chose physics&maths was going to a maths lecture, the gag was "What's your maths lecture about?" "Number theory" "Which number is it this week? 2?" :pac: The real joke was on me because I still had to do maths classes as part of the physics option...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So, if this guy's hypothesis is correct, does that make it a lot easier to factorise large primes and break RSA? :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

ninja900 wrote: »
    So, if this guy's hypothesis is correct, does that make it a lot easier to factorise large primes and break RSA? :eek:

Hopefully not!! Think of the carnage on the roads! :eek:

(Rethinking this joke I probably should have referenced transformers too :( )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Dades wrote: »
    Unconvinced! It either exists or it doesn't - so that's an equal chance either way in my book. :pac:

Well, that's very agnostic of you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Amateur guy photographs Jupiter. Catches comet impact by mistake. Here's the video:

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/19299984@N08/7976507568

boards supports [latex]\TeX[/latex]:
    Wish we'd had that when I was doing my thesis - we only had ChiWrite and it sucked I think (20 years ago now) I got away without scribbling any equations into the thesis by hand, but only just.
    TeX has been around for almost 35 years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeX

In the absence at the time of first-rate math and other type-setting software in the late 1970's, Knuth developed TeX so that he could publish his monumental The Art of Computer Programming. Knuth, through TeX, both created and defined the art of mathematical type-setting, and sad gits like me maintain that its output hasn't really been substantially bettered since then.
    Still, I feel a bit dumb when it comes to number theory and stuff - did the first year of a maths degree but dropped it for physics and chemistry from then on.
    Same here. I did mechanical engineering in university, studiously as much advanced maths as I could and especially avoiding number theory, and now find myself writing code around DES, AES, RSA and shortly ECC.

/sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I haven't heard a consequence mentioned. I doubt it. The conjecture was already well known, so if it cracks RSA it'd have been done already. It being proven doesn't change that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not sure where to put this, but just thought I'd mention it :-/

Was out in Devitt's pub on Camden Street last weekend, and they had a nice ballad/trad session going on. We had been drinking since early in the day, so I was feeling very conversational :p The lads were chatting amongst themselves, but I was more interested in the music, so was sitting close to an older man, in his late 60s probably. We started chatting (ended up talking to him the whole time I was there - f*ck the lads! Was only for a couple pints though anyway), and he ended up telling me about his wife having died relatively recently.

My memory gets a bit hazy at this point, but I'm not sure if it was their wedding, or her funeral, that he was talking about, but he said that himself and the wife had no interest in that "religion crap/sh*te", so it was a secular affair. I guess it must have been the wedding, cos I felt comfortable probing him on it a bit more :p He's from Galway, and obviously of an older generation, so I was commenting that it was a bit unusual and asking if he felt any pressure to have a religious ceremony, and he was saying that they didn't care about that.

Incidentally I was asking what he worked at (he had only retired relatively recently), and I believe he said he used to be an engineer of some sort. Obviously found it hard to ditch that logical thinking!

It was kinda sad, cos his wife had died only soon after he retired, but he was telling me he has 3 or 4 (I can't remember - not that he couldn't remember!) biological children, and 1 foster child from somewhere in Africa. So he has a big family, which is nice. One of his daughters was playing in that group too.

That's my story :) An interesting little episode in an entertaining day/night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Gbear wrote: »
    How do you pronounce "tu quoque"?

Is it like the french "quoique"?

KWO-kwee.

KWO-kwee.

cookie_monster.jpg

As well as having a communion picnic, Aldrin also carried to the Moon a special Freemason deputization from Grand Master J. Guy Smith, with which to claim Masonic territorial jurisdiction over the Moon on behalf of the Grand Lodge of Texas....
    which is probably why they made Armstrong the Master and Commander of the mission, and not Aldrin.

Amateur guy photographs Jupiter. Catches comet impact by mistake. Here's the video:

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/19299984@N08/7976507568
    Mass Extinction event; there go all the Jupiter dinosaurs :pac:

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Mass Extinction event; there go all the Jupiter dinosaurs :pac:
    Next forum beers will be on Jupiter and I'll ask Galvasean to bring along his collection of rubber dinos to repopulate the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Brdr Canning worked frame-by-frame to reproduce the Mars Curiosity landing.
    Working frame-by-frame, it took me four weeks to produce this video. It was a painstaking labor of love. You can support my efforts with a donation or a message of support.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Norwegian right conservative party proposes to deprive the church the right to marry people.
    Ahead of next years election, the leading opposition party, conservatives "Høyre" proposes to give the state the the exclusive right to marry couples. This ensures that all tax benefits and legal protection are equal to all types of couples, regardless of sex, religion etc.
    Also, such a proposition would make it a lot harder to arrange marriages (often within family and/or with minors), and polygami.
    If approved, it would reduce the religious marriage to a simple ceremonial event.

Norway isn't just cold, it's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

w113R.jpg
    uUOpi.jpg

More here

It's not only the islamics who have a gun fetish. Here's a Philippino RCC priest blessing 50 pro-government machine guns in Kauswagan on Mindanao.

220617.jpg

More on that here:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/441780/1/.html
    http://www.stvrjs.com/post/31392677895/this-picture-speaks-of-our-churchs-hypocrisy

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

lJhKh.jpg
    Your bullets won't penetrate my Coptic APC!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

It's not only the islamics who have a gun fetish. Here's a Philippino RCC priest blessing 50 pro-government machine guns in Kauswagan on Mindanao.

220617.jpg

More on that here:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/441780/1/.html
    http://www.stvrjs.com/post/31392677895/this-picture-speaks-of-our-churchs-hypocrisy
    Sure we've been doing that in the West for a Millenia!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

What next?

Napalm Sunday?
    Bulletproof vestments?
    Weapons of Mass destruction?

With regards the blessing of the guns, they are usually designated as Squad Automatic Weapons. Clearly, someone SAW the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

More ammunition for us tbh

• Advertisement

Seriously, it's only when I saw images like the above APC being blessed that I realised how hilariously silly the act of dowsing yourself every day with holy water is. :D
    (Yep, it took me that long because I'd grown so accustomed to it.)

Advertisement