Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

3D printing has been hitting the news more and more lately. I have a feeling that it will explode over the next decade or so. I spotted an article today about a group of guys calling themselves "Defence Distributed" who rented a 3D printer to "print" a gun. I found it interesting because printing a gun is technically legal. They announced their plans online and the printing rental company sent a team to take the printer back because they didn't want to be associated with them.

It opens up so many interesting possibilities and questions about intellectual property rights, piracy, the very idea of a maufacturing industry. Printing right now is very slow and expensive but one day someone will be able to buy a 3d printer and print another 3d printer.

Anything could be made, anytime. The people spearheading these plans support the internet being "free" and generally release all their plans and schemes online. It begs the question, what would be our currency in the future, if such a large segment of society (manufacturing) were obselete?

Also, the possibilities for an untraceable weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Anything could be made, anytime. The people spearheading these plans support the internet being "free" and generally release all their plans and schemes online. It begs the question, what would be our currency in the future, if such a large segment of society (manufacturing) were obselete?
    Much the same. The standard of living would go up because stuff is cheaper (no manufacturing cost), and people would be employed primarily in pimary and tertiary industries. Of course, that's assuming IP law isn't manipulated by industrial interests to create a dystopian nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That's a very sporty looking bee!
    I wonder what sort of sting options it could be equipped with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It just seems like this uploading nonsense will never die :(

Never mind all that uploading your consciousness rubbish, this could be a major step in sorting out some serious questions about how brains actually work.

Also I want to be able to control my own army of robot bees so much it hurts sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The "There has to be a First Cause" Argument.
    Busted

Now theoretical physicists from the University of Vienna and the Université Libre de Bruxelles have shown that in quantum mechanics it is possible to conceive situations in which a single event can be both, a cause and an effect of another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I eagerly await all the tiresome proponents of first cause rubbish lining up to acknowledge that they're wrong. Any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The "There has to be a First Cause" Argument.
    Busted

Didn't Stephen Hawking make headlines a little while ago when he said "because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mmmm, shuttles

222998.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Didn't Stephen Hawking make headlines a little while ago when he said "because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing"?

Yup, he sure did.

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2010/09/02/god-did-not-create-the-universe-gravity-did-says-stephen-hawking/

Check out the photo of Hawking and Pope Benny. Caption, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    Mmmm, shuttles

222998.jpg

How the hell can I make my down stairs loo look like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

robindch wrote: »
    Mmmm, shuttles
    What's the story with all these manual switches and blinkey lights? I thought it was supposed to be ceiling-to-floor glass displays and touchscreens by now :(

Twisty knobs have no place in modern technology

seamus wrote: »
    What's the story with all these manual switches and blinkey lights? I thought it was supposed to be ceiling-to-floor glass displays and touchscreens by now :(

But twisty knobs and flicky switches are so much more satisfying when going through the check list...that and tapping those glass displays

There's probably far more TFT's there now then there was in the past. Also they're probably more robust less prone to lag.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    But twisty knobs and flicky switches are so much more satisfying when going through the check list...that and tapping those glass displays

No, automation for the win.

No, automation for the win.

Well - MY downstairs space shuttle themed loo will be wall to wall twisty knobs and flicky switches cos apparently I are a hipster - or at least that's what I was told yesterday as my mobile is apparently not 'smart'. :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pauldla wrote: »
    Yup, he sure did.

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2010/09/02/god-did-not-create-the-universe-gravity-did-says-stephen-hawking/

Check out the photo of Hawking and Pope Benny. Caption, anyone?

<hawking voice>
    "Get your sweaty fingers off my head and monitor screen before I roll over your pathetic velvet slipper."
    </hawking>

hawking-2-350x268-custom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dades wrote: »
    <hawking voice>
    "Get your sweaty fingers off my head and monitor screen before I roll over your pathetic velvet slipper."
    </hawking>

I imagine that a statement like the above (which does have echoes of Planet of the Apes (The GOOD one.) ) would be too fast for Hawking's speech software to properly capture the tone.

Perhaps we could get a bunch of famous actors to pre-record it for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

"Have you tried 'Control-alt-delete'?'"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There, there. Good Hawking. Gooood Hawking. Stay!

@shuttles pic: OMG SHINY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭b318isp

The cost of installing and validating newer technologies was never justifiable AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

They work. That's a really bloody nice thing to say about anything you're flinging at the atmosphere at tens of thousands of miles an hour while pounding it with radiation and wild temperature shifts.

Also, a switch never blue-screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

bluewolf wrote: »
    There, there. Good Hawking. Gooood Hawking. Stay!
    HaHaharrrr!*splutter*coffee on monitor.

@shuttles pic: OMG SHINY
    AH! I have ya now, you'ra WOMAN! Mmmm, nice shuttle. LOVE me a bit of bling:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mikhail wrote: »
    They work. That's a really bloody nice thing to say about anything you're flinging at the atmosphere at tens of thousands of miles an hour while pounding it with radiation and wild temperature shifts.

Also, a switch never blue-screens.

Pfft, you closed minded creep. You really think the Americans would display to the world the REAL the technologies they had in the Shuttles? All those fancy military gadgets have been removed and the astronauts have been sworn to secrecy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

mikhail wrote: »
    a switch never blue-screens.
    Hmm... it can try:

http://www.sandiegoairandspace.org/collections/collection_item.php?id=38

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

*SH voice* Where's your miracles now, bitch?! */SH voice*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The Shuttle is a veritable 'space Hummer' compared to the Soyuz capsule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Meanwhile, in inner space, marine biologists are foiled by a thieving octopus which unwraps their bait while simultaneously teaching table manners to a small shark...
    http://vimeo.com/44791802

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

3D printing has been hitting the news more and more lately. I have a feeling that it will explode over the next decade or so. I spotted an article today about a group of guys calling themselves "Defence Distributed" who rented a 3D printer to "print" a gun. I found it interesting because printing a gun is technically legal. They announced their plans online and the printing rental company sent a team to take the printer back because they didn't want to be associated with them.

It opens up so many interesting possibilities and questions about intellectual property rights, piracy, the very idea of a maufacturing industry. Printing right now is very slow and expensive but one day someone will be able to buy a 3d printer and print another 3d printer.

They're already making guns in America this way. Apparently it's one part of the gun that the ATF considers to be the primary part, can't remember if it's the trigger mech or whatever, but you can make the rest of the gun perfectly legally, then buy the other part you need from a registered firearm dealer.

And there's at least two printers on the market that you can use to print another one from other than some of the metal components but they're common electrical parts that you don't even need to buy from the original retailer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

As regards self replicating machines, that's possible now. The RepRap.

I'm actually hoping to do my thesis on the application of rapid prototyping technologies in enabling a decentralized, community based production model. I think the effects on the world would be huge! If used in an open source environment, people would have the power to make anything they needed, fix anything and experiment, innovate and construct anything they can think of. In combination with hackerspaces and makers/fixers, it could be a viable alternative to the disposable consumer model of today.

It needs some work to be a thesis though.

Advertisement