Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ndubz

Anyone on the swan leisure gym in rathmines? I am aware it's quite New ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Malteaser1980

Thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Iceman aka Bobby Drake

Hey every1 sorry if dis has been posted or asked before on this... so my membership with northwood id up next month! and im goin to b looking for a gym closer to mine around swords area. heard of energie fitness? is it any use?! does anyone know how much it is price wise?
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

Looking into doing spinning and you can get like free passes for a lot of gyms here on www.gymlockr.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

I joined Total Fitness in Sandyford on Monday and am very impressed. The monthly payments are a bit higher than Westwood (€62), but the joining fee's only 75.

Gym is huge, open and airy. Pool is excellent and the spa/sauna/hydrotherapy facilities are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 whoppa

howra lads,

just got a free gym pass on gymlockr.ie for the Kingfisher club in Ennis, Co Clare going to try out at the weekend. sweet.

http://www.gymlockr.ie/kingfisherclub-ennis

will report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

Morf3h wrote: »
    I joined Total Fitness in Sandyford on Monday and am very impressed. The monthly payments are a bit higher than Westwood (€62), but the joining fee's only 75.

Gym is huge, open and airy. Pool is excellent and the spa/sauna/hydrotherapy facilities are great.

How much does the Westwood cost?

€55 a week plus 500 joining fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

Jesus that' steep.

Dividing the joining fee over the year, that = €91 per month.

Total Fitness works out at €68 per month.

Is there that significant a difference that is worth €22 per month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fitnessguy

Most of the low cost gyms in the City are dumps full of muscle heads. Dont like Ben Dunnes too crowded. The Jackie Skelly clubs had never read a customer service manual before they collapsed (good riddance) but they have been taken over by Energie from the UK. I was a member of theirs in Derry. Good club with their money back guaranteed results program that actually works ! A Franchise too so was actually thinking of one myself. Dont know much about Westwood (inconvenient) If I had the cash it would be David Lloyd in Donnybrook.....but only to meet the ladies that lunch !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Morf3h wrote: »
    €55 a week plus 500 joining fee
    Wrong

I was in there a few weeks ago that's what they wanted. They're doing a deal for past members at the moment 80% off the joining fee but I don't think anyone here is looking to rejoin.

@Fuctifino Theres noting worth the extra cash. The pool is better in TF, so is the gym and the sauna/spa facilities. There's classes all day and a running track. No idea how Westwood can justify the higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

Joined Herberton in Dublin 8 last week. Pool is only 15 metres but the rest of the facilities are good enough. Not overly busy at peak times. Only problem is the air con in the changing rooms is out of action, meaning there's a ****ing rank smell in them, like going into a secondary school boys' changing rooms. Could do with a power-hosing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

I saw on westwood's website they are charging €1.66 a day. nothing said about joining fee.

Total Fitness S/F gone up to €682 a year. which i dont understand as i paid €525 just in Oct & thats a fair hike in price. will not be rejoining if its is not lowered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rivaldo

I am working on Harcourt street and I want to do some spinning classes without having to become a member of the gym...does anybody know any gyms in this area where I can do this??

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

doherta5 wrote: »
    Joined Herberton in Dublin 8 last week. Pool is only 15 metres but the rest of the facilities are good enough. Not overly busy at peak times. Only problem is the air con in the changing rooms is out of action, meaning there's a ****ing rank smell in them, like going into a secondary school boys' changing rooms. Could do with a power-hosing too.

doherta5
    What price was membership to the Herberton? I was a member there last year, thinking of rejoining and wondering if the membership price has come down (was around €350 for the year) when I joined before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Anyone a review on Tonezone in the NAC?? Heard they put in a new gym??

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

RosieP wrote: »
    doherta5
    What price was membership to the Herberton? I was a member there last year, thinking of rejoining and wondering if the membership price has come down (was around €350 for the year) when I joined before.

It's still the same, €350 for 1 year. I'm doing a distance learning course at the minute so I used my student card to get 3 months for €100. Can't really go wrong if I don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

Am a member of TCD gym for last few months

Past-student rate is 350€ for the year.

All in all am happy with it. In terms of free-weights (which is primarily what I'm interested in), it's got better equipment than Westwood in Sandyford, where I used to be member of.

Cardio equipment looks good too, as does the pool

Only problem is that the weightlifting area is usually jammed on a Monday evening, so that you can expect to be waiting ~ 10mins for a power rack (even though there are 3).

Have also used guest passes in UCD crunch a few times. Weightlifting equipment good there too. Only one rack though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

Fuctifino wrote: »
    Jesus that' steep.

Dividing the joining fee over the year, that = €91 per month.

Total Fitness works out at €68 per month.

Is there that significant a difference that is worth €22 per month?

My opinion of Westwood is that you get loads of different types of facilities at your disposal for one price. In Sandyford you have swimming, tennis, squash, gym, good sauna/steam room.

However, most people only want to use one/two of these facilities. So, you're going to end up paying loads for things you never use.

If you're just looking to use the gym, there's much better value elsewhere, and in terms of weightlifting, much better equipment.

Their pool in clontarf is good though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Frank slade

My wife and I joined educo gym in south Dublin in the summer to learn how to exercise properly in a short period of time and also lose some weight in the process. When we went to join the staff could not be nicer and welcomed us with open arms, we joined up for 3 months each at 219 per month per person and then all the supplements which came to close to 600. After the three months we decided to join another "normal" gym that was nearer to us to continue exercising as educo gym is not really a long term affordable option at 219 per person per month. Also with two young kids the trek was not possible as often as we would like to go. My wife who had difficulty remembering her exercises as when you join you are given a card like most gyms, so she called the ladies at the gym and asked could she simply have her exercise card outlining her exercises and the weight she finished up when she left educo. The minute they realized she was leaving the tone changed, she was ltold she could have the simple exercise card but then when I called into request the card personally, nobody would talk to me and simply refused to give it to me as it was their property and company policy.after spending 2000 euro with then company you would think that apiece of paper which is now good to anybody else would not be a big deal right? WRONG! The minute they sense the customer has made a decision to leave good business practice and customer service go out the window. Would I recommend educo gym? In short No! Not a chance but make your own decision this is just my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I want to join a gym close to me at houston station or along luas redline(cantral part of line)

Has anyone any info on One Escape. I have heard it is rather expensive however it does have a pool and is convenient for me.

Is it worth it. I am going to have a look at the weekend but I would like some input from people who have used it or using it before I have a look.

cheers

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

frag420 wrote: »
    I want to join a gym close to me at houston station or along luas redline(cantral part of line)

Has anyone any info on One Escape. I have heard it is rather expensive however it does have a pool and is convenient for me.

Is it worth it. I am going to have a look at the weekend but I would like some input from people who have used it or using it before I have a look.

cheers

frAg

it is expensive around 80euro per month plus joining fee, try and haggle with them about the joining fee, plenty of good equipment cardio and weights, pool area is nice, if your going to use 3-4 times a week its worth it

check out www.herculesclub.ie for a more hardcore gym only 5 mins from one escape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 davidburns88

any1 have any reveiws of any good gyms in waterford city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gym bunny 21

I joined goldstone gym in Waterford in Jan and find it great. Worth checking out, they had a great deal on the prices there since the New Year, but I think it could be finished now, the special offer banner on the building has been taken down in the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

Strong in Body Ranelagh

Just found this place online, www.stronginbody.com
    Looks good, from what I can see anyway. Anyone have experience training there or the prices?
    I'll prob go check it out after work or tomorrow but would like to hear some opinions first!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Karlati

I do personal training and been living in New Zealand where I trained clients at home or the beach etc, anywhere they felt comfortable. Gyms are good no doubt, but can be expensive especially if you only go a few time, miss a week here and there etc.
    For clients I use the TRX system, Swiss Ball with dumbells and Resistance/Power bands. People love it and you get both cardio and strength training. You don't need loads of free weights believe me, or the range of expensive machine the gyms have..
    But it's up to the individual I guess. The important thing is that people get out and get fit....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Informed Performance?

Worth going down for a month or most likely beyond that?

I ask cause I know a few on here use it and I'm looking at getting back into the swing of things properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Poccington wrote: »
    Informed Performance?
    Worth going down for a month or most likely beyond that?

Definitely. It's on the other side of the city where I'm based and I don't think I'd be able to make it there other than on Saturdays and possibly Sundays, but I'm still going to join. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Anyone know of a good gym in south Dublin.
    I am currently in TF sandyford and my membership is expiring in a few days.
    When I initially signed up I got a deal of €450 for 15 months which was €30 per month which I thought was really good value.

I received a letter the other day that said membership was something like €680 (€56 pm), but if I renewed before my expire date it would "only" be €595 (€50 pm). I'm gonna talk to them to see if I can get the price down but am not holding out much hope. There's no way I'm paying €600 for a years membership there.

I checked online and saw that Monkstown gym is €450 per year, has anyone any reviews of this place -or any other alternatives in south dublin (PS i live close to brewery road).

Advertisement