Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relearning the language

• 31-05-2015 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

A chairde,

tá ceist agam.

I've been relearning the language for a little while. First started on a TEG course at the A2 level and was delighted to see how much I remembered. Heading back to an gaeltacht for a week in July to try some immersion and hoping to eventually study up enough to give the B1/2 exam a shot.

The resources thread is great and I've used it to supplement what I already have. I'm currently working through the old version of Teach Yourself Irish and doing the odd bit on Duolingo as well.

Just curious to hear what other people do or do you have any different study methods. Or if there's anyone else of a pre-intermediate level like myself studying at the moment.

Go raibh maith agaibh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Learning Irish by M Ó Siadhail is perfect for someone at lower intermediate level. After that just read, read, read and listen to good native speaker Irish, RnaG is great.
    Good grammar book is essential. And dictionary at www.breis.focloir.ie, or hardcopy de bhaldraithe and ó dónaill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Go raibh maith agat. Yeah i've a good grasp of the basic tenses but it's the more complicated stuff that gets me all the time.

I've the Ó Siadhail book as well so I'll make sure to work through that. RnaG does sound great, it's amazing how it helps with comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

I too am heading for Gaeltacht...Glencolmcille. I find 'Turas Teanga' brilliant for everyday conversations....does anyone else know of similar type of course as I've gone through this a few times...something about L.C. standard??

Cathellen wrote: »
    I too am heading for Gaeltacht...Glencolmcille. I find 'Turas Teanga' brilliant for everyday conversations....does anyone else know of similar type of course as I've gone through this a few times...something about L.C. standard??

ranganna.com might be worth checking out.
    Apart from that off the top of my head there is TEG material available for their examinations.
    Also, Maynooth Uni had a really great online course/set of resources available for free. Can't remember the link but should come up in search on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Thanks for that. Have checked out the Maynooth course....seems to be exercises on news content from R na G....sounds really good. They also seem to be behind the TEG material.

• Advertisement

Cathellen wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Have checked out the Maynooth course....seems to be exercises on news content from R na G....sounds really good. They also seem to be behind the TEG material.

It is really brilliant stuff for anyone with Leaving Cert level Irish at least. There is a huge lack of workbooks like that - though there are good grammar books to be got.

Just came across this resource on tuairisc.ie:
    http://tuairisc.ie/category/foghlaimeoiri/foghlaimeoiri-3/

Advertisement