Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you log your workouts?

• 27-06-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1 RainarV

Hey guys I was just wondering how you guys take notes of your workouts? Do you use excel and notebooks or is there anything more effective out there?
    I personally started using the Gym Diary phone app a week ago, and I am loving it, makes life just a bit easier.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Notes app on my ipod when I'm in the gym then fill it in on fitocracy after
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What I need to get done is on Memo app on phone and that's saved to log book and fitness logs on boards cos i used lose paper logs and most tracking apps I found were more cumbersome than how I do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Forum log. I take photos of things that may be hard to remember like the exact details of rowing intervals but write it up within a couple of days and that's that.

I think accurate logging is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Over time too many different ways! Makes it effectively useless I guess. That's if I can't track them down anyway

My gym has an app that we log everything through, called wodify. My running I follow an exact plan. I do have a training log here, but I've neglected it of late...

I've started keeping a written journal though including how training felt, how my diet was for the day, any niggles etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I write it on an a4 sheet that I leave in the gym

I wrote little.notes to myself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

I use google sheets, means I can write my program weeks in advance on computer and check it/make alterations on my phone in the gym. Works very well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Fitnotes is a brilliant free app I've been using for the last few months
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.jamesgay.fitnotes

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I record almost all workouts in a thread in a log forum.
    Usually from memory within a day or two. Use notes/photos when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

MyFitnessPal on my iPhone - my runs upload to it automatically from Runtastic, and I use the Exercise option to add other activities manually.

I use the Notes section to leave detailed notes about exactly what I did that day too, and sometimes write about how I felt, accomplishments, or other things of note.
    It's my comprehensive food and activities diary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

I use excel, I plan out my lifts for next few weeks on it, then take a picture on my phone so I can look it up if I need to in the gym. After a workout I record how many reps I did for each set on the excel file, and log it on another forum I use. If I'm struggling to remember how many reps I've done I just type it in my phone.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7837823&d=1435566340

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I've tried a few apps, but progression so far has been my favorite, using it about 4 months now and I would be lost without it now. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=workout.progression.lite&hl=en

I setup my routine beforehand - exercises, weight, reps, sets and timing between sets. Its real easy then to add sets/reps as you are working out. It then tracks your progression across all lifts using a bunch of different metrics.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I use all of the following:

- A printed out 1 pager generated in excel with the numbers for the next 12 weeks hanging on the fridge. Rarely have to refer to it as the increments and waves are so burnt into my head. Still handy to have.

- During Bench & Squat sessions where I can loose track of the number of high volume sets I create a draft email to myself on iphone and log the set number and minute on which I finished that set (& any associated superset). e.g. it may look as follows if I was Squatting 10x3:

1: 56
    2: 00
    3: 04
    4: 09
    5: 15
    6: 20
    7: 25
    8: 32
    9: 40
    10: 46

This allows me to keep up the pace and make sure that I'm focused on getting through the workouts as quickly as possible. Idle chatter and time wasted surfing the net on phone will show up when you review the times afterwards (e.g. between sets 8&9 there were 8 minutes instead of the usual 5 or 6). You may think that is overkill... but if you keep the pace up and save 2 minutes between 10 sets that is 20 minutes saved. It also will improve your conditioning.

- Boards.ie Forum log: This is where you track the intangible side of things. How was I feeling? What are my hopes and dreams? Tree huggery and associated emo stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

vangoz wrote: »
    I've tried a few apps, but progression so far has been my favorite, using it about 4 months now and I would be lost without it now. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=workout.progression.lite&hl=en

I setup my routine beforehand - exercises, weight, reps, sets and timing between sets. Its real easy then to add sets/reps as you are working out. It then tracks your progression across all lifts using a bunch of different metrics.

Honestly, I've tried out every logging app I could find and Progression is the best by a long long margin. Having the rest times and sets/reps set up is dead handy and saves time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

I'm doing strong lifts 5x5 so the app on my phone logs all my workouts. Going to have to find an alternative soon when I move on to another program though...

Advertisement