Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google maps - downloading maps

• 21-07-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

im sure ive read of a trick somewhere before where you can download bigger sections of the maps for offline use than is normally possible

can anyone help me here?

id like to download all of ireland if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Cyrus wrote: »
    Hi all

im sure ive read of a trick somewhere before where you can download bigger sections of the maps for offline use than is normally possible

can anyone help me here?

id like to download all of ireland if possible

With the older version of Google Maps, there was a Labs extension to cache tiles. With the current version, this is no longer possible - there's a built in 'off-line maps' option that you can use, but Irish maps are excluded (Google traditionally treats Irish people as second-class citizens when it comes to introducing new features, and here's no exception).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Go as far as downloading all of Ireland, that will take ages, but if you want to do it little by little it is possible. Bring it over to England, search around for a bit and then come back to where you want, you might need to try it a few times but it will work eventually.

a6qoc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I'm certain there was another bigger thread about this but can't find it but the update today allows offline maps in Ireland without any messing about

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

With the older version of Google Maps, there was a Labs extension to cache tiles. With the current version, this is no longer possible - there's a built in 'off-line maps' option that you can use, but Irish maps are excluded (Google traditionally treats Irish people as second-class citizens when it comes to introducing new features, and here's no exception).

Downloading off-line maps of Ireland works fine for me - SGS II

draffodx wrote: »
    Downloading off-line maps of Ireland works fine for me - SGS II

Yeah it started working about two weeks ago. For awhile it was disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

hi Folks, if you download offline GMaps, does NAvigation work offline, ie with 3g and wifi off.

The idea being Nav can be used abroad, with no data charges ?

k123456 wrote: »
    hi Folks, if you download offline GMaps, does NAvigation work offline, ie with 3g and wifi off.

The idea being Nav can be used abroad, with no data charges ?

No. At least not for me - when I tried that, it just comes back with an error "data connection lost."

EDIT - to clarify - you only need on-line access at the start of your journey - once it's figured out the routing, you can continue off-line, but you must have it to get the initial routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I presume it works if your device has GPS i.e. you can turn wi-fi and 3G off and just use GPS? Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it would be a pointless if it didn't.

blastman wrote: »
    I presume it works if your device has GPS i.e. you can turn wi-fi and 3G off and just use GPS? Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it would be a pointless if it didn't.

You can use it to see where you are, yes; you just can't use it for routing/navigation purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yeah it started working about two weeks ago. For awhile it was disabled.

Been working for me since it was first released well over 2 weeks ago! Must have got lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Keith186

You can use it to see where you are, yes; you just can't use it for routing/navigation purposes.

+1

I used it when roaming I had to turn on data. I kept an eye on data used and it was very little as I was always within the tile I had downloaded. Think it was only few hundred KB if even.
    Roaming charge is now capped at 86¢ in EU now so it wouldn't break the bank if your stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

This new update is a pain in the arse for me. I am using HTC desire that has very little internal memory for apps. Since this update the size of this map seems to have gotten way bigger, 19MB including a 6.5MB cache. I have had trouble before having to juggle what apps I had installed due to the small memory. With other apps I would just wipe the cache to free up some room but this cache just seems to come back instantly if I use it. This was not the case at all with the old version of maps. I have the new offline maps feature disabled in the settings hoping this would fix it. I can't move this app to the sd card for whatever reason. Is anyone else having similar issues? I don't want to have to remove apps just to make room for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Grimebox wrote: »
    This new update is a pain in the arse for me. I am using HTC desire that has very little internal memory for apps. Since this update the size of this map seems to have gotten way bigger, 19MB including a 6.5MB cache. I have had trouble before having to juggle what apps I had installed due to the small memory. With other apps I would just wipe the cache to free up some room but this cache just seems to come back instantly if I use it. This was not the case at all with the old version of maps. I have the new offline maps feature disabled in the settings hoping this would fix it. I can't move this app to the sd card for whatever reason. Is anyone else having similar issues? I don't want to have to remove apps just to make room for this.

What ROM you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

akamossie wrote: »
    What ROM you using?

Default htc ROM. I went to root it a few months ago but became more hassle than it was worth. Why is this relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The reason I changed my desire was the memory. It was terrible.

Downloading maps wasnt working for me (galaxy s 2) but after the last update it's working fine. Very handy feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Grimebox wrote: »
    Default htc ROM. I went to root it a few months ago but became more hassle than it was worth. Why is this relevant?

I had HTC desire and was having the same memory issue. what i did i change to CM7 and use S2E. Basically all apps were removable to the SD card and even part of the system and since then never had the problem. I have passed this phone to my dad and still no issues with memory anymore.

Advertisement