Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what an Irish prison is like?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Not that I have any intention of ever going to prison, I'm just curious, what's the food like and generally what kind of day would someone have?

Sorry lad, any time I've ever been in the tombs I didn't remember much..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

grindle wrote: »
    Should we have to put up with/provide unearned comfort to so many reprobates to save/provide comfort to the few worthwhile?

I agree to an extent. There should be a 3 strike system, either put in the work and prove you're doing it, or you get nothing but food. For those who do genuine work, they should be entitled to the perks, for those who use/abuse the system, give them a bed and food, and literally nothing else, no outside time, no gym, no tv, nothing but food and a bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭outtagetme

Irish_wolf wrote: »
    Went to wheatfield prison on a school trip when I was in TY. Feckers had access to a gym, a 5 star restaurant with a different meal every day of the month, playstations, the works. They had classes for all sorts of skills and workshops and art rooms and all sorts of facilities. More like a feckin' boarding school then a prison.

Not saying we should treat prisoners like animals but it was a bit much.

You could throw in blow-jobs from Shakira, Lebanese belly-dancers, booze, silk sheets, etc., etc., I'd still prefer to be free as would anyone. A year incarcerated in the lap of luxury without your own blood is still a year where you're a captive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

was only in pats. fairly similar though but subject to change. a week, for an unpaid fine.

I can tell you a week is like a month...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Mountjoy was built with toilets in each cell. They were removed. Inexcusable, filthy and unsurprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Mountjoy was built with toilets in each cell. They were removed. Inexcusable, filthy and unsurprising.

They wouldn't be removed for no reason...

Of course. I think I know what the reason would have been. An expression of power by some wretched hate-filled little fuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Eamon De Valera..He thought the 'RA could use them for passing on messages etc..:rolleyes:

charlemont wrote: »
    Eamon De Valera..He thought the 'RA could use them for passing on messages etc..:rolleyes:
    Bingo, my theory is proven. De Valera was not stupid. His given reason was no more than an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Went to montjoy on a college trip, when we got there the smell of piss would knock ya! Was vile ao it was.

During our walk through,the prison guard sparked up a fag which surprised us coz of the smoking ban and he said if any of us smoked to feel free to light up. He said "if those f**kers are allowed to smoke in doors,then so are we"

Got in one of the cells whiles the prisioner was away, small, 2 beds, floor to celing covered with fhm posters and a small 14inch telly with a playstation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Dudess wrote: »
    The 'Joy is supposed to be the best - real luxury. I keep committing crimes so I can get in there, seeing as it's clearly much better than life outside, but I just cannot seem to get caught... :(:mad:

Show them your ban and infraction history from here, you'll be locked up quick :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Mr Keek wrote: »
    floor to celing covered with fhm posters!

Rita Hayworth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Rita Hayworth in FHM, doubtful, Unless her ghost guest starred on Hollyoaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

andy1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Went on a college trip to Mountjoy years ago.
    It was utterly depressing. It is cold and dingy and I could not believe that the prisoners had to "slop out". As far as I recall, the prisoners are only allowed one shower a week, and one change of clothes a week. These aren't even provided on the same day. The sheer disrespect of the prison gaurds to the prisoners was eye opening.

The female prison was something else! Ensuite bedrooms instead of cells. The female prison areas are referred to as houses, and they are. When we went in, there were about ten women chilling out in a sitting room, drinking tea, smoking and watching telly. They have an amazing computer room and we saw signs on a communal notice board for yoga classes and stuff that were being ran in the centre.

The inequality was unreal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

This thing of "slopping out" keeps arising. Can someone please explain what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

newmug wrote: »
    This thing of "slopping out" keeps arising. Can someone please explain what it is?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=slopping+out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

Irish_wolf wrote: »
    Went to wheatfield prison on a school trip when I was in TY. Feckers had access to a gym, a 5 star restaurant with a different meal every day of the month, playstations, the works. They had classes for all sorts of skills and workshops and art rooms and all sorts of facilities. More like a feckin' boarding school then a prison.

Not saying we should treat prisoners like animals but it was a bit much.

Prison sounds like a nice place, they're not affected by the recession! We should all just go there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

do they still sell soap on a rope in the prison shop...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

I have been in a few for college related reasons. What struck me was the hierarchical structure in place. Sex offenders were bottom of the pile and loathed by the other prisoners. There was a sense of normality also. I mean for some of them it had become their home and they carried on as best they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Read a book about it

The prison officers are sly dogs ;)

If there is someone in Dublin who is causing hassle they bundle them into a van and transfer them to Cork
    Of course being the outsider the Dub gets a hammering from his new Corkonian comrades

Works the other way too
    Officers in Cork send prisoners up to Dublin when some lessons need to be learned

The travellers in Mountjoy keep to themselves and their area is known as "the caravan".
    They don't mix with the other prisoners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

I was on the D-Wing there over ten years ago and your making it sound like a great place, Fair enough the D-Wing was good but not half as good as your making it out. The education helped me a lot, Do you think prisoners shouldn't get education ? The gym was fairly crap too. Don't think any mobile phone is going to fit through the mesh nets either.

Fair play to you for having the honesty to admit that and I am glad education inside helped you turn your life around.

As someone who is claustrophobic, I dont think I could last any significant time in prison.

In the name of the father is like a horror movie to me, getting wrongfully locked up is my biggest fear in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Council dwelling scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Read a book about it

The prison officers are sly dogs ;)

If there is someone in Dublin who is causing hassle they bundle them into a van and transfer them to Cork
    Of course being the outsider the Dub gets a hammering from his new Corkonian comrades

Works the other way too
    Officers in Cork send prisoners up to Dublin when some lessons need to be learned

The travellers in Mountjoy keep to themselves and their area is known as "the caravan".
    They don't mix with the other prisoners

The only time I'v heard of people getting moved to Cork is when they deserve it. Cork is a horrid prison. The Dublin/Cork rivalry is mostly mythical and only real scumbags get involved in it.
    IrishAm wrote: »
    Fair play to you for having the honesty to admit that and I am glad education inside helped you turn your life around.

As someone who is claustrophobic, I dont think I could last any significant time in prison.

In the name of the father is like a horror movie to me, getting wrongfully locked up is my biggest fear in life.

Thank you I appreciate that, Yea I done my leaving after I came out and got 3 A's and 2 B's, I'v done Architectural draughting too and now I'm doing AutoCAD. I had my own problems in life which lead to me going inside and I have to say most prisoners have issues too, That's why they are in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

The only time I'v heard of people getting moved to Cork is when they deserve it. Cork is a horrid prison. The Dublin/Cork rivalry is mostly mythical and only real scumbags get involved in it.

The Dublin vs Cork rivalry is anything but mythical, brother! Probably more on the outside than the inside, but.

Thank you I appreciate that, Yea I done my leaving after I came out and got 3 A's and 2 B's, I'v done Architectural draughting too and now I'm doing AutoCAD. I had my own problems in life which lead to me going inside and I have to say most prisoners have issues too, That's why they are in there.

Fair play man, best of luck in the future.

Advertisement