Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How best to sell Vodafone shares?

• 27-04-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

I have a few hundred Vodafone shares (left over from Eircom days)

Where / how is the best way to seel them on now getting the best return?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I take it you hold the share certificates?

It's my understanding that you require a stockbroker to sell these for you, you should shop around to see who charges the least, but it also reputable.

You'll have to send them the share certs to complete the transaction.

I take it you hold the share certificates?

It's my understanding that you require a stockbroker to sell these for you, you should shop around to see who charges the least, but it also reputable.

You'll have to send them the share certs to complete the transaction.
    Hmmm..not sure about share certificates...I know I have xxx amount of shares but if I had share certs they are probably long gone...

is compushare any good to me??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

How do you know you hold shares?

Are you going off a statement of some sort or is this figure just in your head?

You'll need to find the original documentation of your ownership.

How do you know you hold shares?

Are you going off a statement of some sort or is this figure just in your head?

You'll need to find the original documentation of your ownership.

I get paid a dividend every year based on xxx shareholding :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭comeback_kid

Zipppy wrote: »
    I have a few hundred Vodafone shares (left over from Eircom days)

Where / how is the best way to seel them on now getting the best return?

dont sell them , vodafone shares are at a yearly low right now so it has plenty of upside , its a very sound company which pays a decent dividend , telecom companys are sort of rescession proof , i would buy vodafone shares right now if i was buying

dont sell them , vodafone shares are at a yearly low right now so it has plenty of upside , its a very sound company which pays a decent dividend , telecom companys are sort of rescession proof , i would buy vodafone shares right now if i was buying

OK but when they recover....what is easiest way to sell them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

this question comes up again and again
    it should be stickied

If you dont have a share cert you will have to get new certs issued.
    You need to contact computershare in order to do this and they will charge you plenty for it.
    Then to sell them, you got 2 options

1. Bring the cert to a broker and getting them to sell the shares. You will have to pay the regular trading fees along with a fee for the conversion of the shares into electronic form at Crest (dematerialisation)
    2. Computershare have their own share dealing service. It will prob work out cheaper than using option 1. And i'm not sure if they will require you to get new share certs issued either.

Zipppy wrote: »
    OK but when they recover....what is easiest way to sell them?

open an online account with one of the brokers , im with TD waterhouse , thier british but a lot cheaper for trades than the irish brokers

they charge around 15 euro for an online trade , you also pay 1% stamp duty on a purchase of any stock

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

open an online account with one of the brokers , im with TD waterhouse , thier british but a lot cheaper for trades than the irish brokers

they charge around 15 euro for an online trade , you also pay 1% stamp duty on a purchase of any stock

Seems as they have an Irish site aswell - http://www.tddirectinvesting.ie/

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Seems as they have an Irish site aswell - http://www.tddirectinvesting.ie/

yeah , they changed thier name to to direct investing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

Seems to be topical again, may be a good time to sell http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bebaa57e-9b79-11e2-8485-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2PWohXmoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

horse7 wrote: »
    Seems to be topical again, may be a good time to sell http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bebaa57e-9b79-11e2-8485-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2PWohXmoo

IMO, I would be a reluctant seller of Vodafone right now, with the Verizon/AT&T potential bid still out there (this has undoubtedly subsided somewhat over the last day or so, but there is no smoke without fire), the suggested price in the Financial Times over the weekend was £2.60 I think, the cash cow that is Verizon, the very generous dividend that is being paid, and very little obvious downside, why sell? (unless you need the shillings of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 caitt

Should one still hold off on sale of these shares do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You better check the small print, € 15.00 is not a flat rate at all there are a range of other charges (see the list as long as my arm!) incl Quarterly A/C fees etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

caitt wrote: »
    Should one still hold off on sale of these shares do you think?

Why sell caitt? If you need the money for sure sell and you've hopefully made a nice few bob for yourself. If you don't need the money, well unless you've something better to put it into isn't it grand where it is, paying you a nice little dividend and with the Verizon bit to play out it looks safe enough for the moment. Probably won't turn you into Warren Buffett but probably won't have you up before the bankruptcy courts in London either.

Advertisement