Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

its coming! Google Nexus 9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Is the whole world gone stark raving frickin doolally !!

500 quid for an android tablet ????? and you can't even expand its miserable 32GB storage. Come on folks, you can't be serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

dnme wrote: »

500 quid for an android tablet ????? and you can't even expand its miserable 32GB storage. Come on folks, you can't be serious.

I seriously agree.

Google need to release a 128GB version just like Apple crApple but maybe not charge €700 for it!

Google should be ashamed of their prices.

Nexus 9 looks like a superb tablet but not at that price point...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

I sold on my nexus 10 to upgrade to this, now I'm not so sure, it does seem like a massive rip off. I'm tempted by the hudl 2 instead, a fraction of the price with expandable storage. I have 320 euro put aside for it and I'm a big nexus fan, but seriously think I'm been taken for a mug by Google. Can't justify it.

emo72 wrote: »
    I sold on my nexus 10 to upgrade to this, now I'm not so sure, it does seem like a massive rip off. I'm tempted by the hudl 2 instead, a fraction of the price with expandable storage. I have 320 euro put aside for it and I'm a big nexus fan, but seriously think I'm been taken for a mug by Google. Can't justify it.

I'm a Nexus fan, have the Nexus S, 7 and 7 2013 so I have to say I was very tempted by this.

Going on holidays in November and I plan on upgrading my phone so I need the money tbh.

Shame it wasn't more competively priced.

Although saying that I still may or may not try to get it depending on how the moneys going.

Google sure do know how to make a classy device!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭droidman123

If you compare like for like with crapple tablets,its not actually that much of a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Also doubting about this. I have an N10 for 2 years now. I was tempted to upgrade but not sure about paying for a smaller screen with lower dpi despite to faster processor.

N9 hands on reviews and the N10 performance after L will be de deciding factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

If you compare like for like with crapple tablets,its not actually that much of a rip off.

Yeah the 16GB ipad air is 509 which is still over 100 more expensive than the Nexus 9.

why did you say specifically "an android" tablet? is it not of your opinion that ANY tablet for 500 euro,s is way too steep? do we have an apple shill in our midst?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

gzoladz wrote: »
    Also doubting about this. I have an N10 for 2 years now. I was tempted to upgrade but not sure about paying for a smaller screen with lower dpi despite to faster processor.

N9 hands on reviews and the N10 performance after L will be de deciding factors.

Its far better than the 10 and has a soc that can actually handle that dense screen resolution. The quality of display is also far superior by all accounts, then there's build quality, Boomsound ect.

I find it strange that people want another cheap compromised Nexus device instead of something that actually challenges Apple in the tablet market, especially when you can still pick up a 2013 N7 to satisfy those needs. Last part isn't directed at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

£459 for a 32GB LTE version seems crazy. I'm tempted to hit eBay in a few weeks to see if I can pick up a nexus 10. Hopefully there will be some bargains out there, and all I need it for is browsing and watching vids while travelling to work so the slightly bigger screen is preferable. I can live with no LTE for the bigger screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

why did you say specifically "an android" tablet? is it not of your opinion that ANY tablet for 500 euro,s is way too steep? do we have an apple shill in our midst?:rolleyes:

I've never bought an apple anything in my life. I hate all the hype around apple's latest releases, things that start with "i" and apple 'geniuses' :) I thought Jobbs was a complete bollocks and hate people like that who are so competitive that they trample everything and everyone to achieve goals.

These are merely consumer devices, they dont cure cancer or turn water into wine, be they android, apple, windows whatever. I just can't get that excited about them.

Q. What kind of a laptop would you get for 500 quid ?
    A. A bloody decent one.

Q. What sort of TV would you get for 500 quid ?
    A. A bloody good one

500 for a 10" device that will be used for viewing video and web ???? Nah !!!
    500 for device that has very limited storage, especially for those that want to travel with their music or video collection ? Nah !!

As an aside, I had a mate visit at the weekend. He brought with him his Lenovo Yoga 8. Super little ting. I think it was less than 150 quid. That I can stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, I'm going to wait till i visit the USA in mid-December to see if I feel like paying a USA price, as above. I want to see some reviews first, too. It's being touted as superbly fast with an amazing screen and top quality construction - basically best of breed all round, and it had better deliver on that. Another part of the attraction to this tablet is the prospect of future actual Android upgrades, meaning that there's a degree of future-proofing here, unlike other vendors.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've never bought an apple anything in my life. I hate all the hype around apple's latest releases, things that start with "i" and apple 'geniuses' :) I thought Jobbs was a complete bollocks and hate people like that who are so competitive that they trample everything and everyone to achieve goals.

These are merely consumer devices, they dont cure cancer or turn water into wine, be they android, apple, windows whatever. I just can't get that excited about them.

Q. What kind of a laptop would you get for 500 quid ?
    A. A bloody decent one.

Q. What sort of TV would you get for 500 quid ?
    A. A bloody good one

500 for a 10" device that will be used for viewing video and web ???? Nah !!!
    500 for device that has very limited storage, especially for those that want to travel with their music or video collection ? Nah !!

As an aside, I had a mate visit at the weekend. He brought with him his Lenovo Yoga 8. Super little ting. I think it was less than 150 quid. That I can stomach.
    Fair enough,and i agree with everything you say about apple and jobs,i detest everything about them. To compare the nexus 9 with a 500 euro laptop or tv is not really relative comparison. I have mine ordered and cant wait to get my hands on it.fwiw,i also agree about the pricing,i was disappointed with it being a bit on the high side,but i still have to have it, but as i said in an earlier post,when you compare the nexus 9 with like for like i pads,its not overly priced.thats not to say i dont think the whole gallery of highend tablets are not over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Wow I didn't expect the storage to be fixed. That is the single thing that's stopped me getting a Nexus 9. I've said it before I totally understand the price point, but cannot justify 32gb of storage on a tablet.

If I'm buying an Android tablet it's solely for movies, music, games, and comics in areas with no wifi so storage for me is essential. Looking at the Tab S now even though I'm getting sick of all the bloatware ****e Samsung put into their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Why dont people get an OTG USB Stick if they need extra storage? Theyre not expensive and even though theyd stick out a little id rather that then getting a worse tablet.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/OTG-Micro-USB/Corsair/Corsair-32GB-Voyager-Go-USB-3.0-OTG-Flash-Drive

I dont know why people are angry that there is no expanable storage,there is! As poster above pointed out an otg cable is the answer and they only cost a few euro.none of the other nexus 7,s or the nexus 10 had sd slots.i have one of these and they work perfectly with nexus media importer
    www.memoryc.ie/products/description/32GB_Transcend_Jetflash_380S_OTG_USB2_0_Flash_Drive-Silver_Edition/index.html

Installed Android Lollipop on my Nexus 7 and wow is it fast, animations are great and the new UI is very appealing on the eyes.

This isn't even the release version!

Can just imagine this OS on amazing specs like the Nexus 9...

Can't say I'm not tempted again :pac:

I had a read of that, exactly what I expected Apple....- er The Verge to say.

They may as well put a disclaimer saying everything they write will always be bias against anything without a fruit on the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Yeah but the nexus 7/10 were comparable cheap so people were happy to take a hit on storage.
    I had one for the nexus 7 and it was just a hassle to use. You'll have it in your hand and could easily apply too much pressure or drop it and damage the port. Bit crazy paying all that money for something so nice and have an ugly thing sticking out of it. Can't charge either.
    32Gb should be entry level for this with 64Gb the next step up.
    I still don't understand how 16gb of memory can cost €90?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Google have given reasons for not having SD slots on any of the nexus devices. Nexus devices are for showcasing the cleanest version of android and Google want it to run as smoothly as possible. Apparently SD storage is not as quick to access as the in-built storage and so slows down the advice.
    That's the official Google line anyway, and has been for quite some time.

Google have given reasons for not having SD slots on any of the nexus devices. Nexus devices are for showcasing the cleanest version of android and Google want it to run as smoothly as possible. Apparently SD storage is not as quick to access as the in-built storage and so slows down the advice.
    That's the official Google line anyway, and has been for quite some time.

I'm used to not having SD cards, it's a necessary evil with Nexus devices.

There are no excuses for the lack of storage options though.

There should be a 128GB version of the Nexus 9, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭pah

I recently put 32gb card in my note 3 and bloody hell is it slow, its class 10 but the delay when taking photos is painful. Going to take it out again i think as have 32 onboard already. Dont see the problem with no sd myself, ive 40 gb space with dropbox for the next 2 years and 10+ gb on each of three different google drive accounts. I stream all my content through xbmc, netflix or other apps and wipe my photos every few months as they are backed up to the cloud. Of course 200mb unlimited wifi and all you can eat data with three are beneficial to this setup but i would considernthe nexus 9 at this price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

SD cards are going to become more and more obsolete as we move forward with the cloud, soon you won't even install apps to your devices they will just run in the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭corkie

The lack of sdcard support on the Nexus 9, was going to be a decider between it and the Nvidia Shield Tablet.

Until I found the app BubbleUPnP which allows me to stream media from the SDcard on my xperia z1 to my Nexus 7 over wifi, if i need to.

The above will also work when I use tethering from my xperia z1 (without been connected to data).

There is also another alternative for people who don't have a phone with SDcard and do not like having OTG hanging from there devices: -

SanDisk Connect 64GB Wireless Flash Drive

The above device is currently on a reduce price from amazon. There is also alternative wireless flash drives or wireless storage devices.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

I'm really annoyed with Google right now...

Apple announce their iPad Air 2 (Now with TouchID, yay innovation!) The day AFTER Google announced the Nexus 9.

Meanwhile people are actually getting their iPad Air 2's delivered today and if you bought a Nexus 9 you've to wait until November 3rd!

So frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Apple announce their iPad Air 2 (Now with TouchID, yay innovation!) The day AFTER Google announced the Nexus 9.

Meanwhile people are actually getting their iPad Air 2's delivered today and if you bought a Nexus 9 you've to wait until November 3rd!

So frustrating.

That's down to the supply chain Apple have, they've invested a lot in it and can churn our products pretty fast. Google have never been great at that kind of turn around, even though they're made by HTC there's going to be a wait. Can't really blame Google.

Reading through the thread I'm surprised at how unhappy people are with the Nexus 7. It's a premium tablet with very premium specs, it's still not too expensive compared to the likes of the iPad. Storage wise I agree they should of offered maybe 32GB and 64GB storage options at that price, but there's plenty of cloud options, streaming services including Play Music and Google+ for photos. You'll mostly need that storage for apps. It's the only good full sized Android tablet that's been released so far imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

In what way?
    Personally I think both the new Nexus products are fine value for what they are but I don't see the point in comparing them with the Apple (or crapple as you say) equivalent.
    IOS is much better optimised than Android, and OS wise if you think about it there'd be a holy war if Microsoft were pushing out an OS that needed the spec of Android.

tbh before the end of the year I'm probably going to sell my M8 and Z2 tab to give the 6 Plus and Air 2 a go, I might be happier, I might not, at least I'll have had a go unlike the seemingly well informed people who have never bought nor will never buy a crapple product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

TBH, Apple tablets just don't suit my needs... I use my tablet allot to stream YouTube & Watch film clips through my TV/DLNA...

Because Apple is a walled garden 1) its harder to get content 2) anyone I know with an Apple TV lets it gather dust in a corner, or (particularly with YouTube) has to play one song at a time, before selecting the next...

One advantage an iPad has over my Transformer, is that it handles stylus input better - which would allow me to mark-up .pdfs (making my work life much easier).

Can anyone tell me whether stylus input has improved on Android over the past few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

From my understanding Lollipop isn't ready yet which is holding up the release of the Nexus, HTC have asked people to mark early benchmarks results for the device as "pre production" software because of this.

While it's frustrating I don't mind Google taking time to ensure L roles out smoothly.

Advertisement