Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cerberus Tracking App

Options
  • 17-04-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Lost my phone 6 weeks ago on a night out and had this app installed. I only had the free trial version installed but after I lost my phone I was able to buy the full license online.

After checking on and off for the past few weeks the phone finally came back online. When it came online I was able to locate exactly where it was and get the location history to show where the phone had been, I was able to get all the current information on the phone including phone number SIM number network etc and was able to grab a photo of the current user.

With all the information I went to the garda two of them came with me and went to the persons work place then the gardai went in and retrieved my phone :D

Person who had the phone said he had just bought it off someone online so was pretty pissed to have to hand it over.

All in all could not be happier and could not recommend this app enough if you value your phone in anyway. Best 3 quid I ever spent :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Lol quality stuff :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Joekers wrote: »
    Lost my phone 6 weeks ago on a night out and had this app installed. I only had the free trial version installed but after I lost my phone I was able to buy the full license online.

After checking on and off for the past few weeks the phone finally came back online. When it came online I was able to locate exactly where it was and get the location history to show where the phone had been, I was able to get all the current information on the phone including phone number SIM number network etc and was able to grab a photo of the current user.

With all the information I went to the garda two of them came with me and went to the persons work place then the gardai went in and retrieved my phone :D

Person who had the phone said he had just bought it off someone online so was pretty pissed to have to hand it over.

All in all could not be happier and could not recommend this app enough if you value your phone in anyway. Best 3 quid I ever spent :)

did the guards follow uop with the guy online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

irishgeo wrote: »
    did the guards follow uop with the guy online?

Yea they got as much info as they could outta the lad who bought the phone so they are following that up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Joekers wrote: »
    Yea they got as much info as they could outta the lad who bought the phone so they are following that up

Do you have any info on it? It would be good to share where it was bought and if the seller had an online ID, post it here, someone might Google it and this page might show up and save someone from buying a stolen phone again. (If you have the info that is)

draffodx wrote: »
    Do you have any info on it? It would be good to share where it was bought and if the seller had an online ID, post it here, someone might Google it and this page might show up and save someone from buying a stolen phone again. (If you have the info that is)

Nope unfortunately the garda wouldn't tell me any of the info on the seller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Have that app too but never set it up, will now though.

Did you have the rooted features? Looks like you can activate the phone mic to eavesdrop!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Keith186 wrote: »

Did you have the rooted features? Looks like you can activate the phone mic to eavesdrop!

You dont need root. I have it on my nexus 7 and phone. License covers up to 5 devices. Best security app out there imho

Keith186 wrote: »

Nope didnt get around to activating the rooted features when I downloaded it never really bothered as I said I only purchased the full license when I lost my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I wonder how this app can survive a phone reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

just looked this app, It says free. Nothing about a trial period. Am i missing something ?

Id like to put it on all my devices sounds awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I looked yesterday and it said on the app page in play store it is a 7 day trial.

I think i will be investing in it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Are these things not easily wiped from the phone? There are some pretty organised gangs out there who buy and sell phones and they seem to know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

recyclebin wrote: »
    Are these things not easily wiped from the phone? There are some pretty organised gangs out there who buy and sell phones and they seem to know what they are doing.

Most of these are quick for cash thiefs. They might do a rudamentary wipe. But depending on root options some of these phones have an anti delete option unless securily accessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

listermint wrote: »
    just looked this app, It says free. Nothing about a trial period. Am i missing something ?

Id like to put it on all my devices sounds awesome.

I have this on 5 devices and TBH its a bit flakey (unless I am doing something wrong)

The only device I can always track is an Android radio at home....its on my home wifi and always connected in the Cerberus dashboard.
    Not much good really as the radio never moves and nobody is going to take it unless they get in to the house.

All the other devices are phones and all I get is
    "Problem communicating with your device" error

It tells me to start Google Talk on the phone or to open the Cerberus app to get it working. Thats not much good if I have lost the phone.

It used to work all the time but has stopped in the last 6 months.

Maybe I need to contact developers to see if they can fix it.

BTW all the phones are on Meteor so maybe there is some issue with the network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Give the developers a shout. I've found them very helpful and quick to reply.
    I had a similar issue before and it turned out the problem was I was using LBE Privacy Guard to block access to the IMEI to every app, once I allowed Cerberus it worked fine.

tui0hcg wrote: »
    I have this on 5 devices and TBH its a bit flakey (unless I am doing something wrong)

The only device I can always track is an Android radio at home

Android Radio?

nedd wrote: »
    Android Radio?

Ya
    nice little radio for the bedside locker - amazing sound for something thats the size of a bag of sugar
    Screen is a bit iffy but all we use it for is radio, Google Music and streaming music from the home NAS
    http://www.archos.com/products/home/archos_35_hc/index.html?country=gb&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

is it much different to Prey? I use that on my phone and laptop...

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Ya
    nice little radio for the bedside locker - amazing sound for something thats the size of a bag of sugar
    Screen is a bit iffy but all we use it for is radio, Google Music and streaming music from the home NAS
    http://www.archos.com/products/home/archos_35_hc/index.html?country=gb&lang=en

That looks cool. Does it have an fm radio?

nedd wrote: »
    That looks cool. Does it have an fm radio?

No FM radio - just radio apps etc. like Tunein.
    but at the price not a bad little yoke at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just a heads up..... for anyone using Cerberus, I got the following email from the developers today.
    Hi xxxxxxxxx,

Our Security Team recently discovered and blocked suspicious activity on Cerberus servers. The investigation found no evidence that your account was in any way accessed or compromised.

However, the attacker(s) were able to gain access to usernames and encrypted passwords for a subset of our users. No other personal data (emails, device information, etc.) has been accessed.

While the accessed passwords are encrypted, as an extra precaution we have immediately secured these accounts invalidating the current passwords.

Please create a new password by signing into your account at www.cerberusapp.com and selecting the "Forgot password?" option, or go directly here: https://www.cerberusapp.com/forgotpwd.php . Submit the form and you will receive an email with further instructions to set your new password.

After you reset the password, you can verify that no unauthorized commands have been sent to your Android device. Open Cerberus on your device, log in and select the "View Cerberus log" option at the bottom of the app settings.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of having to change your password, we take security of our users very seriously and are constantly working to improve it.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Cerberus Support at support@cerberusapp.com

The Cerberus Team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but it appears to be the most recent one on Cerberus.

I have a rooted Samsung SGS2 which I installed Cerberus on via the zip method i.e. via recovery so it embedded in the ROM and will survive a factory reset etc.

My (slightly embarrassing) question is "How do I set it up on the phone?" as it's not listed in the App Drawer? I've looked on the FAQ's on the Cerberus website and can't see anything. The answer is probably staring me in the face but for the life of me I can't see it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭droidman123

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but it appears to be the most recent one on Cerberus.

I have a rooted Samsung SGS2 which I installed Cerberus on via the zip method i.e. via recovery so it embedded in the ROM and will survive a factory reset etc.

My (slightly embarrassing) question is "How do I set it up on the phone?" as it's not listed in the App Drawer? I've looked on the FAQ's on the Cerberus website and can't see anything. The answer is probably staring me in the face but for the life of me I can't see it!!

Did you try log in on your laptop? Mayby you could do it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Hi all,

Login on their website and you can enable show app in app drawer, configure, then set it to hidden again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I have two phones. Phone #1 had Cerberus installed normally and was set up on the Cerberus website dashboard. I then rooted that phone and installed Cerberus via recovery and all is well.

My SGS is phone #2. That's not set up on the Cerberus website in any way. I've just installed Cerberus on the phone via recovery. Do I not have to set up the app on the phone first so it registers with the Cerberus website? How does the Cerberus app installed via recovery know my email address/Cerberus account etc if I don't set it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭pah

I have two phones. Phone #1 had Cerberus installed normally and was set up on the Cerberus website dashboard. I then rooted that phone and installed Cerberus via recovery and all is well.

My SGS is phone #2. That's not set up on the Cerberus website in any way. I've just installed Cerberus on the phone via recovery. Do I not have to set up the app on the phone first so it registers with the Cerberus website? How does the Cerberus app installed via recovery know my email address/Cerberus account etc if I don't set it up?

they're is a default number you enter into the dial pad that will launch the Cerberus app on The phone, can't remember off hand but should be in their FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Hi user,

You received a free license for Cerberus in a promotional period. We deeply apologize, but unfortunately it was not feasible anymore to make it last for a lifetime, so your license will expire after 3 years of free service, on June 1st 2016.

We hope Cerberus helped you recover a lost or stolen device during these years, and that you will consider buying a license. Since by the time your license expires the app will be probably more expensive and subscription-based (with an annual or monthly fee), we offer you to purchase a lifetime license now with a one-time payment.

If you're interested, please contact us before the end of September using the support form on the website, or send an email to support@cerberusapp.com.

Thank you,

The Cerberus Team.

Any of the early users who were offered a free lifetime licence are now being cancelled after 3 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

neacy69 wrote: »
    Any of the early users who were offered a free lifetime licence are now being cancelled after 3 years...

Yeah I got the email last night also.

I think the 'one-time payment' for a 'lifetime license' is €4.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yeah, they started this about a month ago. It hasn't gone down well at all with people who got the free lifetime upgrade. There was a big backlash towards it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement