Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Telephone connector panel

Options
  • 25-01-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I was asked to look at someones telephone connection as there was a problem with the panel bringing the connection in to the house. The slightest knock would disconnect the phone and internet, and eircom had said it would take them weeks to look at it.

It was just held closed with two normal screws and had no seal, so I opened it up to see if there was a lose wire. The bottom of the panel came away - it has some connectors and resistors in the back and plugged into a second RJ45 connector in the behind it. I plugged the phone/DSL directly into this and it seems to work perfectly. The only thing written on the panel is UK REG DES 2097943 - which seems to refer to a UK registered design "Pressac Connector Unit" - http://www.ipo.gov.uk/

What is this for? There is a seperate DSL filter for the internet - the only thing I can think of would be that a phonewatch alarm would use it, but there is none in this house. Is there any problem leaving the panel removed?

Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum - feel free to move it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NetworkSS

A bit late for a reply but in any case it may help others.
    The unit is the Network Terminating unit between the Eircom network and the customers equipment/internal wiring. It allows the customer in the event of a fault to plug directly into the eircom line (just as you did by removing the front plate) and check for dial tone. If you have no dial tone then you can call your service provider without incurring a charge...The unit also allows alarm companies to properly access the network and it allowed for ISDN (a "Hi"speed..prior to broadband) to be connected.For both of these services which were connected to the front plate it was necessary to break the links (0 ohm resistors) at the bottom of the plate. The design also allowed for the fitting of a hi spec DSL filter by interchanging the front plate. The design also allowed for the proper termination of a second line which was a network requirement in the '90's
    Rattle wrote: »
    I was asked to look at someones telephone connection as there was a problem with the panel bringing the connection in to the house. The slightest knock would disconnect the phone and internet, and eircom had said it would take them weeks to look at it.

It was just held closed with two normal screws and had no seal, so I opened it up to see if there was a lose wire. The bottom of the panel came away - it has some connectors and resistors in the back and plugged into a second RJ45 connector in the behind it. I plugged the phone/DSL directly into this and it seems to work perfectly. The only thing written on the panel is UK REG DES 2097943 - which seems to refer to a UK registered design "Pressac Connector Unit" - http://www.ipo.gov.uk/

What is this for? There is a seperate DSL filter for the internet - the only thing I can think of would be that a phonewatch alarm would use it, but there is none in this house. Is there any problem leaving the panel removed?

Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum - feel free to move it.

Advertisement