Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQUEST] Help finding folks in 1901 census

• 20-10-2014 10:45am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I found this record on RootsIreland and I'm trying to locate them in the 1901/1911 census.

Date of Marriage: 21-Nov-1882
    Parish / District: Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

John Kennefick
    Full Age
    Husband's Father : John Kennefick

Bridget Phelan
    Full Age
    Wife's Father : Thomas Phelan

My Bridget Phelan was born in 1867 and I'm trying to determine if the one in the record is her.

Thanks !

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Who exactly are you trying to locate on the Census?
    Is it the Kenneficks?
    And are they based in Tipp?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The couple married in Tipp in 1882. I'm just trying to find them in 1901 as the census should tell me in which county Bridget was born and should that match with her age on the census I can begin thinking that the B that married John Kennefick is the same lass as in my tree.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

He may have been at work and just recorded as initials if the prison service worked the same as the police forces?

Hermy wrote: »

Yep!

Has to be them as the occupation matches perfectly. I didn't know that the census search was so strict on names (Kenefick Vs. Kennefick)

So the Bridget in the census you found was born in Co. Waterford which is exactly what I was hoping it would be :)

Thanks !

• Advertisement

I've not come across the name before (Kenefick). Does anyone else know it ?

No, I hadn't come across it either - so I was curious how it might be spelt on the Census.
    Kennefick with 2 n's didn't show anything obvious so I chanced searching for just 'John' with the word 'prison' in the occupation box.
    Yeah, it's a pity the search function for the census is so strict - if you don't figure out the spelling mistakes [where they occur] you can have a hard job finding people.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Ponster wrote: »
    I've not come across the name before (Kenefick). Does anyone else know it ?

I think it is a Cork name. I have come across this name when researchning my Cork family. None related to me but in the same area. Not surprised to see your Kenefick was born in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

So weird, after reading this today I spotted the following post on a Cork Genealogy Facebook page;

"Rev. Father M. Kenefick, of Coonabarabran, has suffered a family bereavement by the death of his father, which occurred at his residence, Ballymacoda, County Cork, Ireland, on December 13 1937. Mr. John
    Kenefick had been ill only a few days, but though his end came unexpectedly he was fortified with all the rites of the Church.
    The funeral took place to Shangarry after Requiem Mass, and was attended by Rev. Father Brown, P.P., Rev. Fathers Sheehan and Ahern, of Ballymacoda, Rev. Father W, Egan, of Cove, and Rev. Father McGrath,
    of Coachford.
    Father Kenefick 's mother remains to mourn the loss of her help-mate, as well, nine children. One other son hopes' to enter the sacred ministry, and is now in First Divinity at Maynooth. Though by origin a Welsh name, the Kenefick 's have been in Ireland since the 12th century, dwelling nearly all that time in the same Barony in County Cork.— R.I.P. Catholic Press NSW Thursday 20 January 1938."

Doesn't relate to the OP's Kennefick but strange to spot the surname twice in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

MacLysaght's The Surnames of Ireland, p.175:

Now associated with Cork, came to Leinster in the 13thC. Taken from a Welsh placename.

• Advertisement

dido2 wrote: »
    As for searching the Census if your searching names like Kennefick try using just Ken* then you'll get all surnames starting with Ken...

I didn't know that. Thanks pinky!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    I didn't know that. Thanks pinky!

*cough* dido2 *cough* :)

I think it's time I left the family tree for while and got some air.:o

Apologies to dido and pinky.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Oh Hermy your doing too much genealogy!!!

But it's a very handy tip that can be used with a lot of website search engines, minimum 3 letters and then the *

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

You can also include further wildcards e.g. ken*f*c*, which will check for all surnames beginning with Ken, but also including an f and a c later on in the name, so includes Kenefrick, Kenfick etc, and leaves out Kenna, Kennedy etc.

There are limits to what searches allow as they sometimes try to protect against queries that throw back to many results, but the census even allows even 'wilder' searches like k*n*f*c*, which will give you all the results of the previous search plus ones like Kinefick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Question marks also work instead of asterisks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

? should imply one unknown letter and * an unknown number of unknown letters; if everything is working as expected.

Advertisement