Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

• 28-07-2009 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Always liked the thread in the cooking / recipes forum - if you're stuck for ideas of what to cook, you can just trawl through a few pages of that until you find something... So why not just copy them! (sorry if this has been done before)

Last night was a bit of a "meh" Veggie chilli (using Quorn mince), pretty much just cooked some shallots, garlic and finely chopped chilli then added the contents of a jar + the mince. Had some tortillas and nice wholegrain rice with it.

Going to put a bit more effort in tonight and make a green lentil lasagne from scratch... Gonna throw some bay leaves, courgette and green pepper into it, and maybe stick some wholegrain mustard into the cheesy roux sauce. First time that I've made lasagne in about 7 years, so wish me luck!:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Denver Red Toenail

Great idea!

Last night I cooked some rice, fried up some ginger and grated parsnip in a bit of oil and chilli powder, then mixed it all up. Then I wanted a real flavour hit so I mixed in a few spoons of country relish-delish

I have 50 sqillion heads of lettuce right now. My garden went beserk when I was away on holiday.

So it will salad till autumn for me I think.

Today was salad with grilled asparagus and halloumi.

Lunch was brie and grilled peaches on rice cakes.

I also found those veggie gummy strawberries Mameoo recommended.
    Dey was good. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I also found those veggie gummy strawberries Mameoo recommended.
    Dey was good. :)
    You must tell me where!! strawberry is my all time favourite food stuff i dont care if they are jellies!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Cool, I was thinking of starting a thread like this, but with pictures! Mainly because I like looking at pictures of food.
    Yesterday I had two Tesco veggie burgers with spinach and tomato salad. Not very inspired but we'd had no gas for the hob all week because water got into the gas lines so I could only cook with the oven. Looked pretty good on the plate though!

Today I made a curry. Fried some tofu in ginger and garlic, threw in some carrots, some pre-cooked cauliflower, tin of tomatoes, cooked red lentils and a bit of coconut milk. It was okay, a bit mushy. I ate it before I could take a picture though! There's loads left though so I'll probably photograph it tomorrow. I like taking pictures of my dinner :)

You must tell me where!! strawberry is my all time favourite food stuff i dont care if they are jellies!!:D

My local shop.
    Do you like strawberries enough for a 160miles round trip?

(I'll bring some for you Sunday)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pics are good.

At the htoel I just had a huge plate of carrots, broccoli, green beans, peas in pods, tomatoes(couldn't eat them!), roast potato and bolied potato. Along with soup(which was lovely). I filled up on bread fearing for my main course. Didn't have a choice, but it was nice.

For second dinnersss, I had 2 garlic&herb quorn chicken fillets, onions and mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

I had roast potatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, parsnips and broccoli with garlic and rosemary etc. on them as well as a Linda McCartney Country Pie....deliciousness in a pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Warmed up some of the (sexual) green lentil lasagne from last night for lunch, along with some leftover new potatoes which were fried up... Coupled with a dollop of alliole

DSC00243-2.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Potatoes all the same size! yumyum.

I had 2 garlic&herb 'chicken' fillets, broccoli, onions, sweetcorn, mushrooms and boiled potatototototoess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i robbed food from my mammys and walked around to my house with a tower of lunch boxes and a carton of milk!

any single veggie chefs around? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Mmm that lasagne looks so good! I'm gonna try make a vegan one over the weekend! Found some new melty cheesy sauce to make up and will try that!

Last night I had stew with lots of barley & lentils, peppers, potatoes, onions, carrots, broccoli...parsnips...think that's everything... :pac: Oh and some home made bread with seedy goodness in it.

I had sweetpotato, chickpea and spinach curry, with basmati and naan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

me n my boyfriend had a whole loaf of rye sourdough with hazelnuts topped with my homemade bread and butter pickles and courgette and tomato chutney. Was to lazy to make a proper dinner n felt really ill after all the bread!

oh ya and a bottle of my freshly racked off apple and elderflower wine :D

Here is the re-heated tofu and cauliflower curry I made the other day. A night in the fridge made it taste better!

Apple and Elderflower wine sounds nice! My parents made plum wine once, though I think I was too young at the time to taste it :pac:

me n my boyfriend had a whole loaf of rye sourdough with hazelnuts topped with my homemade bread and butter pickles and courgette and tomato chutney. Was to lazy to make a proper dinner n felt really ill after all the bread!

Droolllllllzzzz...........Hurry up picnic!!!

I was sick yesterday...so a bottle of flat 7up and some rice cakes was it. :(
    Back to the Halloumi and asparagus salad today.

Droolllllllzzzz...........Hurry up picnic!!!

I was sick yesterday...so a bottle of flat 7up and some rice cakes was it. :(
    Back to the Halloumi and asparagus salad today.

Jesus you poor thing! You better today?

Jesus you poor thing! You better today?

Yep :) Flat 7up is magic stuff altogether.

So about these bread and butter pickles. There are more yeah? :pac:

Having friends out for dinner tonight so on the menu is:

Chickpea, sweetpotato and carrot madras with basmati rice
    nann breads
    Lime pickle
    Homemade sweet cucumber pickle
    Homemade tomato and courgette chutney
    Raiti with homegrown cucumbers, fresh mint and corriander and vegan yoghurt
    Leafy green salad from my garden
    And of course lots of my new apple n elderflower homebrew (again...)

So about these bread and butter pickles. There are more yeah? :pac:

Lol ya lots don't ye be worryin bout that! They're amazin on veggie burgers had that last night for dinner (de linda mcCartny ones are amazing!)

• Advertisement

I'm bringing this thread back, because it's cool... and also because I made a really good curry today, one of my best ever I think and I'm pleased with myself :pac:

3950630711_e83bfb90b1.jpg

Cauliflower, potato, cabbage, red pepper in coconut milk, red thai curry paste, garlic and an assortment of spices! It was lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

While not a vegetarian myself I'm slowly adapting my cooking to eventually cut out meat.

Last night I made a delicious Lential Tikka Masalla. nyomnyomnyom.

Yehay! I like this thread.
    I'm being given a new camera thingy this week. So I shall contribute properly then.

Tonight I had Mixed veg satay with beancurd, on noodles. From my local chinese.
    Yes the back end of beyond now has a chinese!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Northsider09

Oh I'm drooling reading all these lovely dinner ideas:)

I'm definitely going to try the lentil lasagne this weekend - any heads up on the best "cheese" sauce to top it off with???

Tonight I was a total lazy cow and had a Blazing Salad's "Carribean Stew" accompanied by one of their fab Lentil Burgers, yummy yummy:D

And then I had some jaffa cakes (the Jacobs ones) which I recently found out on this site are veggie (and no dairy which is so important to me as I'm dairy intolerant)

Jim wrote: »
    Last night I made a delicious Lential Tikka Masalla. nyomnyomnyom.

Sounds interesting, how did you make it? I put lentils in my curries but they generally just add to the consistency or disintegrate altogether...

mushrooms peas carrots veggie mince and chips. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Sounds interesting, how did you make it? I put lentils in my curries but they generally just add to the consistency or disintegrate altogether...
    I've tried making my own sauce a couple of times but it ended up being a complete disaster. I got the sauce at Tesco I think and its completly free of all meat/dairy/allergens (can't remember the name of it off hand). I usually just fry garlic, onions and mix veg and then add in loads of green lentils (maybe you used red lentils? iirc they tend to just pureé into a paste) and then add the sauce. Then add random spices etc. Simple enough.

It was probably the Meridian Free From sauce that you were using, think I tried it once. Meridian stuff is usually good.
    Yeah, I always use red lentils because they cook quicker and I'm impatient! They are quite good for bulking out the sauce though, especially if I've put in too much coconut milk or tomatoes... I might try green or brown lentils next time though for a more obviously lentil-y curry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Puy lentils are gorgeous in curry. Lovely texture and they taste YUM. I want some now...

I had quinoa and black beans for dinner last night. One of my favourites. I can't stop stealing spoonfuls of it while it's cooking...

• Advertisement

Oh, puy lentils! I had them in a soup once and they were lovely, must take note to buy some :pac:
    Thanks for that link, might give it a go sometime. Have you ever noticed that if you stir garlic into quinoa the garlic turns blue?? Unless it just happens to me for some reason! Either way, it's quite fun eating blue garlic...

Advertisement