Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryder Cup Captains 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

First Up wrote: »
    Really scratching my head about that. What did Clarke say that was brilliant? He was adequate in the round table chats with Monty, Harmon etc but his on course commentary was feeble to the point of embarrassment.

Stuff like "that wasn't what he was hoping for" or "important to get some blue on the board" is clichéd and naff.

I thought DC was very articulate and refreshing in the commentary box tbh , I mainly watched it on NBC , which he did a few stints on over the 3 days .. Makes a change to monty's "when I was captain in Celtic manor ..." Rubbish that he spouts .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I'm sure PH thinks he has 5/6 years playing left in him so i reckon he wont be in the running until 2020. Clarke could wait till 2018 as he has the next 2 years to try and make a few bob on the PGA tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Aside from picking who plays when what else does the captain do? What sort of strategies are there? What preparation is required?
    Although the media spin it as a team competition it's still the same old individual game they all play throughout the year.
    Even the foursomes is individual. You hit as good a golf shot as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I found it hard to look at or listen to Clarke - he looked like a man who has indulged in every vice and has not got a painting in the attic. Not the sort of person I'd be looking for as a leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Hopefully Clarke's antics in the lead up to appointing the 2014 captain has ruled him out. For me, it's anyone but him. He's a sham.

Agree completely,
    I first encountered the 'real' Darren in Ballybunion at the Irish open many years ago.
    What I have saw this year in Fota, has done nothing to change my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Whats the "real" Darren?

I found it hard to look at or listen to Clarke - he looked like a man who has indulged in every vice and has not got a painting in the attic. Not the sort of person I'd be looking for as a leader.

This made me laugh ..;) what type of vice do you think he has indulged in ?? Also your comment about a painting in his attic flew straight over my head .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

hawkelady wrote: »
    This made me laugh ..;) what type of vice do you think he has indulged in ?? Also your comment about a painting in his attic flew straight over my head .

Oscar Wildes The Portrait of Dorian Gray I guess, not a reference you normally see on the golf forum.

benny79 wrote: »
    Whats the "real" Darren?

Someone I would not be nominating to be a Ryder cup captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

There's a Darren Clarke for the camera and one for off camera, one is friendly and charismatic the other is a totally arrogant p***k, I've seen him on course nearly taking the nose of nearby spectators with the rope when he hits it astray and snarling at his caddie to "throw me a F****n wedge". Seen and heard more of the same at the official opening of one of "his" course designs and his attitude to the club pro who was his caddie for the day. I don't think he's hugely popular among his fellow pros either, contrary to the public perception of him and I wasn't surprised he tried to shaft McGinley for the captaincy earlier. The fact that nearly all the players wanted McGinley(even Westwood) spoke volumes about him. Jimenez for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

totally forgot about him attempting to shaft Mcginley for the job

Rikand wrote: »

and the new captain is being picked by McGinley, Olly and Monty....interesting talks ahead. By opposing Paul the last time, he really took a gamble on Monty and Olly backing him now to out vote McGinley 2-1. George O'Grady and 1 other unnamed player will complete the selection panel
    Hope Jimenez puts his name into the mix, it will give Olly a serious voting
    quandary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Dbu wrote: »
    Agree completely,
    I first encountered the 'real' Darren in Ballybunion at the Irish open many years ago.
    What I have saw this year in Fota, has done nothing to change my mind.

Talking to anyone who knows the real man is truly eye opening. I just can't understand how he seems to have been so chummy with people who should have known better back in the day. People are funny.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/rydercup/9803704/Paul-McGinley-named-2014-Ryder-Cup-captain-after-beating-off-challenge-of-former-skipper-Colin-Montgomerie.html

Good auld read from when mcginley was picked. orgot about Monty throwing his hat in the ring as well. The players really got behind Paul and made it count

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Talking to anyone who knows the real man is truly eye opening. I just can't understand how he seems to have been so chummy with people who should have known better back in the day. People are funny.

Whatever the real Darren looks like, the odds on two Irish captains in succession have to be slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

His ridiculous backtracking on "support" of McGinley for captaincy was pretty awful. All that stuff about a captain with 'presence' and supporting Monty after he pulled out himself ???? Monty got lucky and wasn't a popular captain. Also doesn't strike me as a 'modern' captain as Sergio described McGinley.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

The Following pick the next Captain (with any candidates not voting)

Given this and players like Rory and Gmac very likely to throw there weight behind him Cant not see Clarke getting it. Also Big enough Personality to Captain a team over in the US

Thomas Björn (Chairman), Felipe Aguilar, Paul Casey, Darren Clarke, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castaño, Joakim Haeggman, David Howell, Raphaël Jacquelin, Miguel Angel Jiménez, Robert Karlsson, Peter Lawrie, Paul McGinley, Francesco Molinari, Colin Montgomerie OBE and Henrik Stenson.
    http://www.europeantour.com/tourgroup/pgatour/#Lj1t2YSqcgAs6cvc.99

Ronney wrote: »
    Also Big enough Personality to Captain a team over in the US

So you dont think McGinley would have done as good a job in the US?
    This idea of a presence, a personality is wrong IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Whatever Darren Clarke did, I can guarantee you he has been outdone by Thomas Bjorn ...... the man is lower than a snakes belly when it comes to fans. I marshalled a few of his matches in the Seve Trophy and a more arrogant ignorant tool would be impossible to find. I actually watched him tell a young kid of about 8 yrs to 'fcuk off' when the kid had walked up to him and very politely asked for an autograph (this when there was no cameras around and no reason for his behaviour). I have since been told that he is well known for his tantrums and a nightmare to be around when hes playing badly.

I would have said Sandy Lyle .... but anti old school brigade would kill him ;)

elgenerale wrote: »
    So you dont think McGinley would have done as good a job in the US?
    This idea of a presence, a personality is wrong IMO

Playing RC in the states is a different beast than playing on home soil so I do believe that a strong "character " captaining Europe in America is essential ,, that's not saying the mcginley isn't strong . It's saying we need a strong minded captain in America .

• Advertisement

Dtoffee wrote: »

I would have said Sandy Lyle .... but anti old school brigade would kill him ;)

Would love it if Sandy got it and a former Masters champion he'd be well received in the States.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rikand wrote: »

Some might say that's ambition! Certain places I used to work that was the norm if you wanted to progress...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Ronney wrote: »
    The Following pick the next Captain (with any candidates not voting)

Given this and players like Rory and Gmac very likely to throw there weight behind him Cant not see Clarke getting it. Also Big enough Personality to Captain a team over in the US

Thomas Björn (Chairman), Felipe Aguilar, Paul Casey, Darren Clarke, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castaño, Joakim Haeggman, David Howell, Raphaël Jacquelin, Miguel Angel Jiménez, Robert Karlsson, Peter Lawrie, Paul McGinley, Francesco Molinari, Colin Montgomerie OBE and Henrik Stenson.
    http://www.europeantour.com/tourgroup/pgatour/#Lj1t2YSqcgAs6cvc.99

That's not actually correct, the process has been changed for 2016. The captain will now be selected by the last three captains (McGinley, Olly, Monty), George O'Grady and the chairman of the above committee. So while the players will get a substantial say, personalities won't play a huge part in determining who gets the job.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Playing RC in the states is a different beast than playing on home soil so I do believe that a strong "character " captaining Europe in America is essential ,, that's not saying the mcginley isn't strong . It's saying we need a strong minded captain in America .

Thats what the PGA chose in Tom Watson. If a guy is a big personality AND is right for the job then fair enough. I believe DC is the former but not the latter. He may not take it anyway in 2016 if Zinger is back in town.

slave1 wrote: »
    Some might say that's ambition! Certain places I used to work that was the norm if you wanted to progress...

McGinley considered him a friend, withdrew from a big tourney to attend his wife's funeral.

DC wrote a letter in McGinleys support for the job and also saying he wasn't interested. He backtracked late and put his own name in the hat. You might call that ambition! I wouldn't.

Then he withdrew and supported Montgomerie? What would you call that. I'd call it screwing over a friend and having bad judgement. The players didn't want Monty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

elgenerale wrote: »
    call it screwing over a friend and having bad judgement. The players didn't want Monty.

That there, that's the issue. All's fair in love and war, golfers can be grumpy inside the ropes, and after rounds etx...that happens. But those are far from the main issue I'd have with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

That there, that's the issue. All's fair in love and war, golfers can be grumpy inside the ropes, and after rounds etx...that happens. But those are far from the main issue I'd have with him.
    There's been plenty of time for Clarke to apologise to McGinley over the last couple of years and he had golden opportunities galore to admit his mistake on air whilst doing his bit for Sky.

Yet it seems he chose not to.

rrpc wrote: »
    There's been plenty of time for Clarke to apologise to McGinley over the last couple of years and he had golden opportunities galore to admit his mistake on air whilst doing his bit for Sky.

Yet it seems he chose not to.

If DC was going to apologise to Paul it certainly would have been done in private, for all we know maybe he has ??
    Anyway the one place he shouldn't have done it was in the sky studio on air !!!

I could only imagine the golf forum going into meltdown with comments like " he's only doing that so he can have a clear run at captaincy " etc . As far a I know , the two of them aren't having a public feud, so why would Clarke make an apology on live TV

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Seems Rory is giving Clarke a vote of confidence. Two Irish captains in a row? I can't see that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Hopefully Clarke's antics in the lead up to appointing the 2014 captain has ruled him out. For me, it's anyone but him. He's a sham.

what did he do??

Advertisement