Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guy kicked out of college for having sex with a woman!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

TheZohan wrote: »
    A drunk person cannot give consent.

Bollox
    Legally; a woman can not rape a man.

Even bigger bollox

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/apr/28/2
    A 23-year-old Norwegian woman was sentenced to nine months in prison yesterday after she was convicted of raping a man.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/14/woman-rapes-man-while-hes-sleeping-after-pinning-his-hands-over-his-head-4868874/
    Woman ‘rapes man while he’s sleeping after pinning his hands over his head’

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/06/cierra-ross-charged-raping-man_n_3882608.html
    A Chicago woman was jailed after being accused of picking up a stranger in her car and forcing him to have sex with another woman in the back of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭tritium

I think the key here is which jurisdiction. Too many posters seem to jump on the the fundamentally flawed sh1t that passes for law in this country and apply it universally. I don't know what by the statute book looks like in that part of the US so I'll give them the benefit of doubt and assume they're enlightened enough to be open to the possibility.

tritium wrote: »
    I think the key here is which jurisdiction. Too many posters seem to jump on the the fundamentally flawed sh1t that passes for law in this country and apply it universally. I don't know what by the statute book looks like in that part of the US so I'll give them the benefit of doubt and assume they're enlightened enough to be open to the possibility.

Tru, if he is on about in this country then i wouldn't be surprised because there are days i still think it's the 1800's the laws are that backwards. The op news article is about the good ole US of A and one of the links provided is about a case in Chicago although they have different state laws i would presume rape is a federal offence over their. Anywho regardless of that it still proves that women CAN and DO get charged and jailed for raping a man

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Absolute rubbish! Its actually the man that's the victim here as his name is now tainted and his life pretty much destroyed. How long before this kind of rubbish makes its way over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I don't really understand how the college can be compliant with the federal directive about gender equality mentioned in the article.

But the president can say when both people involved are intoxicated and give consent its the male that is responsible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Every pub I've ever been to in every country I've ever been to, has had condom machines in the toilets.

If it was impossible to consent to sex while drunk, then these condom machines should be replaced with cold shower kiosks and television screens showing fatal attraction on constant loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I'm of the opinion that it is the other way around. Conservative/traditional notions would never have put women as the victim, (even though they were!) such as how you could rape your wife legally, domestic violence being a 'non issue', women having 'illegitimate' children being treated like crap by society ect.
    I think extreme liberalism and a certain type of feminism have put us here (not conservatism). It fits in with the whole women shouldn't go to jail narrative as female criminals are actually just victims. It's a skewed way to look at society.
    True, but there's also the old-skool stuff of "women and children only" and protecting the wimmenz. As Wibbs said, the notion that a woman cannot rape is an old-fashioned one.

dfx- wrote: »
    Reading the article, there was at least some time between the texts and the 'event' - enough time to change one's mind?

If you make one decision, should you be held to that if you change your mind ten minutes later?

This is the bit i can't understand, She didn't change her mind and an investigator hired by the college says she consented to sex. OK she was drunk and so was he (both say drunker than they have ever been) But then surely she should be held responsible as SHE went to his room and had sex with him therefore making her the instigator.
    An outside investigator hired by the college concluded that both John Doe and Jane Doe made statements indicating their consent the night they had sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The most irritating thing about this is that i reckon, about 90% of straight single male students would not be able to resist the advances of a pretty girl calling to his room at night looking for sex while they're both drunk.

This guy has had his life potentially ruined for doing something that the vast majority of his peers would also do given the same circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I was going to ask the question, but it was answered in the article:

"Assuming it is a male and female, it is the responsibility in the case of the male to gain consent before proceeding with sex."

• Advertisement

Only in our crazy-ass country (I hope).

Akrasia wrote: »
    The most irritating thing about this is that i reckon, about 90% of straight single male students would not be able to resist the advances of a pretty girl calling to his room at night looking for sex while they're both drunk.

This guy has had his life potentially ruined for doing something that the vast majority of his peers would also do given the same circumstances.

I think most lads at some stage of their lives have or will have sex with a drunk woman, Going by these idiotic laws that means most straight men are rapists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

A drunk person cannot give consent.

Yes they most certainly can. And who here could honestly claim they haven't done it. I have.

Had I had a lot to drink? Yes Did I regret it the next day ? Absolutely yes. Does that mean I have the right to accuse him of raping me? No of course not and to suggest that because I drank a few too many glasses of wine that night means I did not actually agree to anything is rubbish.

Sorry I refuse to believe this. This is nothing more than feminist rambling.

Anyone can be taken advantage of. Anyone can be raped or a rapist, gender is irrelevant.

The woman in this story was no more raped than I was. She made a stupid choice, regretted it the next day and decided to deal with it by making the unfortunate man pay.

A selfish vindictive thing to do.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I was going to ask the question, but it was answered in the article:

"Assuming it is a male and female, it is the responsibility in the case of the male to gain consent before proceeding with sex."

Which the male did do
    An outside investigator hired by the college concluded that both John Doe and Jane Doe made statements indicating their consent the night they had sex.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is the bit i can't understand, She didn't change her mind and an investigator hired by the college says she consented to sex. OK she was drunk and so was he (both say drunker than they have ever been) But then surely she should be held responsible as SHE went to his room and had sex with him therefore making her the instigator.
    Oh it's mad alright T, but it is a US college. In the last 20 years they have become bastions of cliched "PC" and so called "liberal"(actually extremely left wing) and (rad) feminist thought. Put it another way if the Daily Mail wrote an article entitled "PC thinking is destroying thought in US colleges" it would be one of those vanishingly rare times you could actually believe what you were reading.

Some of the stuff they take seriously in areas like "women's studies" courses would have you either scratching your head or guffawing with mirth. The problem comes when some of that nonsense makes its way into the real world. Usually via the media and many of the content producers who have been schooled in such environments to believe the BS.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Which the male did do

Sorry, the question I was going to ask is what's stopping him from crying rape now that he regrets what happened. And I'm pretty sure he regrets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Gezuz. Things sure were different when I was in university stateside 20 years ago. It was one drunken sexual encounter after another. Apparently, most of the student body would have been done for rape nowadays.

I miss college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Tigger wrote: »
    I've had women turn up knowing I've got a girlfriend turn up with a bottle of Jack and after the bottle was drank we did the bad thing

All in all I regretted it but I'm pretty sure at some point I sorta consented
    Now it turns out I was raped

Has Kesha been visiting you?

Sorry, the question I was going to ask is what's stopping him from crying rape now that he regrets what happened. And I'm pretty sure he regrets it.

Because apparently a woman can't rape a man :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Because the university rules make female consent, not male consent, dependent on levels of inebriation and puts the onus on the male, not the female, to know that regardless of his drunkeness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

tritium wrote: »

How do Irish laws even come into this. If this had happened at an Irish college it wouldn't be an issue.

Because apparently a woman can't rape a man :confused:

A woman can't rape a man under Irish law. You might not agree with it but that's that's the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

True, but there's also the old-skool stuff of "women and children only" and protecting the wimmenz. As Wibbs said, the notion that a woman cannot rape is an old-fashioned one.

I think an extreme right wing view would be what is practised in a place like Saudi Arabia today, where the woman is blamed (and beaten) when she's raped (for being too sexy?:confused:).

I think an extreme left wing view brings us to this situation in that college, where a woman literally cannot consent to sex once she's had a drink and the man is solely responsible for anything that happens (this definition can be expanded quite easily to include medication such as anti-depressants, which literally leads us to how potentially all male/female consensual sex is not in fact sex, but actual rape).

Reality is in the middle of the two where I believe the vast majority of people's opinions lay anyway.

A woman can't rape a man under Irish law. You might not agree with it but that's that's the law.

A woman CAN rape a man, it's just our antiquated laws don't recognize this.

A woman CAN rape a man, it's just our antiquated laws don't recognize this.

Yes, I would agree with that.

In fairness, it also states in the statute book, that a woman's place is in the home. It's never been amended or removed! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh it's mad alright T, but it is a US college. In the last 20 years they have become bastions of cliched "PC" and so called "liberal"(actually extremely left wing) and (rad) feminist thought. Put it another way if the Daily Mail wrote an article entitled "PC thinking is destroying thought in US colleges" it would be one of those vanishingly rare times you could actually believe what you were reading.

Some of the stuff they take seriously in areas like "women's studies" courses would have you either scratching your head or guffawing with mirth. The problem comes when some of that nonsense makes its way into the real world. Usually via the media and many of the content producers who have been schooled in such environments to believe the BS.

Cultural appropriation is another one creeping in over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

So does this mean, under Irish law, that every man that had sex with a drunken woman is a rapist? And each of those women is a rape victim?

cookie24 wrote: »
    So does this mean, under Irish law, that every man that had sex with a drunken woman is a rapist? And each of those women is a rape victim?

It's to do with consent. If the woman was of sound mind to consent, then it was not rape, whether she had a few drinks or not. How do you establish if that is after 3 drinks/4 drinks/6 drinks is the hard part. Where is the line? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

It's absolutely 100% not true that you cannot consent to sex while drunk, either here, or in the USA. It is only rape if someone is too drunk to consent - if they are not able to say no, it is rape. When exactly that line is crossed is a very, very, very grey area.

Basically if a "reasonable person" would have known that the partner was too drunk to consent, that is rape.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2014/05/drinking_and_sexual_assault_on_campus_universities_must_define_when_sex.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Had they been out in the same place drinking? Did he slip her Finn's Mickey? Did he plan to have sex with her because he knew she was incapable of giving informed consent at the time? Women have a much lower tolerance for alcohol than most men even in college and the fact she was wasted while he was only a bit drunk would say to me that he happily took advantage of her drunk state.

As usual there is a lot we don't hear about when journalists write a story to obtain the maximum shock and awe factor.

Advertisement