Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Invasion: introduction

• 22-12-2012 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

Just a quick taste of a story I'm working on in my head. Pleaselet me know what you think...

The invasion began April 23rd 2046. It ended that same day. It was a crushing defeat. Why send one ship? When you can send a thousand. Giant guns with engines, they were. Pounding the Earth with firepower far beyond nuclear. Tearing cities apart with mighty grappler drones. Turning oceans to glass with their sun-hot lightbeams. Billions of people turned to ash.

The Last Remnants, they call us, our Alien Masters, chuckling in their metallic language as we scurry through sewers, scavenging for scraps. No one knows how many of us are left. I am part of a Dozen. We could be the last ones on earth.

Strange markings on the sewer walls...arrows firing outwards from a cracked Earth, spark hopes of a Rebel Army. An Underground Resistance. They show up randomly on powerboxes and ****filters and manhole covers. One was seen on a car, though the seer has long since been ashed, and the story is more myth than history.

2046. The year we burned.

That was 15 years ago. I remember the screams, the booms, the long wails of wartime sirens. The warships filling the skies, their deathbeams filling the air with the stench of scorched flesh and sizzling blood. We ran, my mum and me, to the bunkers, but our town was small and full of selfish fools, and they locked the door and left us out to die. Karma reigned, cos I heard soon after we gave up and ran, a beam melted the bunker's inhabitants into pink and red butter. So f*ck them, I said, and say now.

F*ck them rightly.

Into the sewers we fled. The big machines came stomping overhead. We heard the wet crunches and knew people were being crushed. We heard them beg, right before they died. Mum held me close. I sobbed. She held me tighter, to muffle the sound. A red targetbeam slipped through overhead grating and lit up my mum's head. They didn't give her time to beg, just enough time for her to push me away. I spun and watched as a lightbeam sliced my mum's loving face in half.

I ran, from all that hell. The sewers stank but they became my home. Night fell and I curled up and wept silently and rocked back and forth while Aliens killed everyone. I closed my eyes and let the darkness eat me up. Even in the darkness, I saw half of my mum's face. The other half was gone.

Advertisement