Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox 360 Reset Glitch Hack - Unsigned Code on current Kernels incl. X360 SLIM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

justryan wrote: »
    So TX have jumped on the glitch hack?

Ah yeah, I told you they'd want to spin a profit off it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

really looking forward to this. I'm all for homebrew stuff! not interested in backups tbh, but I really hope it doesn't ruin legit games with their **** 'infections'
    I just started getting back into COD4 last night but the game is ruined.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    really looking forward to this. I'm all for homebrew stuff! not interested in backups tbh, but I really hope it doesn't ruin legit games with their **** 'infections'
    I just started getting back into COD4 last night but the game is ruined.

The rebooter is coming, you can guarantee that. And if you think it's bad now then wait until more consoles get in on the MW2 modded lobbies etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

The rebooter is coming, you can guarantee that. And if you think it's bad now then wait until more consoles get in on the MW2 modded lobbies etc...
    **** sake. for the life of me i cant work out why they do it? your e-peen doesnt get massive because you made yourself indestructible/cheated. it just ruins everyone elses game.

last night i played against a guy who could only be killed by headshot, and i was in a public lobby. i literally stood behind him stabbing him 3 times before he turned around and killed me. after working it out that i only killed him when getting headshots, i went all R700 on him and kicked his ass. what a loser though.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    **** sake. for the life of me i cant work out why they do it? your e-peen doesnt get massive because you made yourself indestructible/cheated. it just ruins everyone elses game.

last night i played against a guy who could only be killed by headshot, and i was in a public lobby. i literally stood behind him stabbing him 3 times before he turned around and killed me. after working it out that i only killed him when getting headshots, i went all R700 on him and kicked his ass. what a loser though.

Hope you reported him for cheating too. I think there will be punkbuster-esque tech enabled in the next COD, software based anti-cheating instead of relying on the throughly-debunked idea of hardware-based security.

As for why people do it? I honestly don't know. I don't get the appeal of walking around invincible or whatever. It ruins games for people who aren't modding. Just keep your JTAGs offline and be done with it.

• Advertisement

So TX have jumped on the glitch hack?
    Due to the new reset glitch hack announced this weekend by GliGli and Tiros, we are happy to announce a new add-on for the NAND-X Kit that is based on the Xilinx CoolRunner-II CPLD.

This simple addon has been designed to work out of the box with the Zephyr, Jasper and Trinity(Slim) motherboards - and can also be updated for any future code changes / motherboard revisions.

Simply connect the included Phat or Slim adapter to the Xecuter CoolRunner and away you go.

Easily dump your nand with the Xecuter NAND-X and then install the Xecuter CoolRunner to get instant access to homebrew and beyond !

Easy install for anyone who can solder. The Slim is 7 wires and the Phat is 6 wires.

Production has started so you should expect these to be in stores within the next couple of weeks.

As expected, product announced and in production already. Good they didn't try to milk this as a fully-fledged product too, hopefully it's reflected in the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

As expected, product announced and in production already. Good they didn't try to milk this as a fully-fledged product too, hopefully it's reflected in the price.

Any idea why the Xenon motherboards are unsupported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Bestpig is already on the glitch bandwagon, no need to go installing python etc...his usual gui goodness to the resuce

http://www.bestpig.fr/news-26-ecc-glitch-generator-v10.html

Any idea why the Xenon motherboards are unsupported?

I guess the Xenon CPU isn't susceptible to the glitching. Different CPU revision and different track layout? Falcon isn't quite supported yet as they haven't figured out the timings but it'll come, somebody out there will figure it out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I guess the Xenon CPU isn't susceptible to the glitching. Different CPU revision and different track layout? Falcon isn't quite supported yet as they haven't figured out the timings but it'll come, somebody out there will figure it out.

Its to do with the lack of HDMI port I read (The glitch uses the HDMI chip)

Nick

• Advertisement

This glitch hack is a game-changer I'd imagine Microsoft are pissed!

This glitch hack is a game-changer I'd imagine Microsoft are pissed!

Is it really though, surely XBL retains its security still? I'd wager MS care more for XBL subscribers than those with lone consoles off the grid. Plus the 360 is almost at the end of its run, with the successor tipped to be annouced at E3 2012.

yoyo wrote: »
    Its to do with the lack of HDMI port I read (The glitch uses the HDMI chip)

Nick

The glitch uses a call on the HANA/ANA to slow the clock of the CPU to get the timing right but the Xenon has a HANA/ANA chip so I can't see why that's the problem :confused: Oh well, either way a Xenon version doesn't look likely since they're the most abundant version available cheaply and the guys didn't release one initially

The glitch uses a call on the HANA/ANA to slow the clock of the CPU to get the timing right but the Xenon has a HANA/ANA chip so I can't see why that's the problem :confused: Oh well, either way a Xenon version doesn't look likely since they're the most abundant version available cheaply and the guys didn't release one initially

Could be due to different pinouts? The xenons have a surface mount style ANA chip while the HDMI versions are mounted by BGA

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is it really though, surely XBL retains its security still? I'd wager MS care more for XBL subscribers than those with lone consoles off the grid. Plus the 360 is almost at the end of its run, with the successor tipped to be annouced at E3 2012.

Ah yeah, XBL security is still very much intact and that is the way it should be to be honest. You either get your console and do your homebrew offline or you stay way from homebrew and enjoy online gaming/benefits. That's cause enough for two consoles in my book.

As for the 360 being almost at the end of its run - nah, not unless Microsoft throw some serious money at the project. E3 2012 is 10 months away but Microsoft were only advertising jobs for Hardware/System Architects in March 2011 (rumoured to be Xbox 360 successor jobs). I expect nothing, but an early prototype at E3 2012 is a possibility. Microsoft was looking at the life of the current gen of consoles extending until 2014/2015

Could be due to different pinouts? The xenons have a surface mount style ANA chip while the HDMI versions are mounted by BGA

Ah yes, I suppose I could change around my original hypothesis that it was a difference in CPU revision to a difference in HANA/ANA revision preventing the lowering of the clock in Xenon models. I would read more into it but the bottom line doesn't change, no Xenon exploits :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd say Microsoft have teams working around the clock trying to counter this glitch hack.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'd say Microsoft have teams working around the clock trying to counter this glitch hack.

Just don't update the box :P:P

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Just don't update the box :P:P

Nick

Indeed, once a console is jtagged there's very very little that can't be done on it with regards future games/security etc.

New hardware revision? Unlikely.
    New mandatory dash? Highly likely.
    Patchable? Maybe not, but with added security I'm sure MS will find a way to compensate?
    Will it matter? The XBL users will have to go with it. It's buy a 2nd console time in my eyes though :)

New hardware revision isn't likely? Nah, of course it is. If this can be defeated with a hardware solution they'll see what they can do in future slim revisions - it's Microsoft and they're changing up the DVD drives often enough to let you know they mean business :D If they have a software solution to fix it then yes, they'll be releasing a new dash so don't update.

Get your glitchable xbox and get your virgin for Live; the homebrew train is here and isn't going anywhere :P

• Advertisement

New hardware revision isn't likely? Nah, of course it is. If this can be defeated with a hardware solution they'll see what they can do in future slim revisions - it's Microsoft and they're changing up the DVD drives often enough to let you know they mean business :D If they have a software solution to fix it then yes, they'll be releasing a new dash so don't update.

Get your glitchable xbox and get your virgin for Live; the homebrew train is here and isn't going anywhere :P

I don't know, you'd really have to be privvy to the $$$ figures to make a good guess at their strategy. Would it pay to r&d different cpu architecture, implement the change at the manufacturing level, & possibly re-engineer the current dash kernel for the new architecture...as opposed to investing more in the successor which is roughly due in around a years time. Maybe it would pay off, maybe economically, it won't really affect MS & could in fact boost sales :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    I don't know, you'd really have to be privvy to the $$$ figures to make a good guess at their strategy. Would it pay to r&d different cpu architecture, implement the change at the manufacturing level, & possibly re-engineer the current dash kernel for the new architecture...as opposed to investing more in the successor which is roughly due in around a years time. Maybe it would pay off, maybe economically, it won't really affect MS & could in fact boost sales :D

You're mad about the E3 2012 successor bit :p Of course it would make no sense to R&D if that's the case, but I really don't think it is. Maybe a name/architecture announcement, very early prototype in E3 2012 is what I'd put my own money on, with the Xbox reaching EOL around late 2013/early 2014. It wouldn't be a CPU architecture change either, just hardware changes necessary to alter the POST boot process with updated CBs to block glitching is all that'd stop this attack vector.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

4 pages in and nobody's mentioned the bloke making the video is in the nip????
    (1:08)

Topless wearing khaki trousers, unless that black line around his middle isn't a belt.

I wasn't looking for a topless man tbh more interested in homebrew on the Slim!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Topless wearing khaki trousers, unless that black line around his middle isn't a belt.

Damn Autobots, always ruining my fun!!!!

:P

You're mad about the E3 2012 successor bit :p Of course it would make no sense to R&D if that's the case, but I really don't think it is. Maybe a name/architecture announcement, very early prototype in E3 2012 is what I'd put my own money on, with the Xbox reaching EOL around late 2013/early 2014. It wouldn't be a CPU architecture change either, just hardware changes necessary to alter the POST boot process with updated CBs to block glitching is all that'd stop this attack vector.

I didn't mean to imply that in a year we'd all be looking to jtag 720's :D, just its announcement & a timescale for introduction. A new hardware revision is a fairly massive deal though, particularly with the slim so new still. I would imagine MS will probably point investment heavily towards a newer platform, especially with XBL unscathed by this...who knows though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So can someone very basically sum up whats involved in this? Everything I find is far too detailed and fragmented for someone who's just a bit curious about it.

Is there extra hardware involved?
    Is there soldering needed?

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    So can someone very basically sum up whats involved in this? Everything I find is far too detailed and fragmented for someone who's just a bit curious about it.

Is there extra hardware involved?
    Is there soldering needed?

Yes & Yes :)

Basically:

• Dump the nand using a nand programmer
    • Install Python & variables on your pc (programmimg language/scripts)
    • Use a Python command to modify your dumped nand image
    • Use the nand reader to flash the newly modified nand image, back onto the 360.
    • Additional hardware required, for precise execution of the glitch, programme this new hardware over lpt with your pc via Impact.
    • Solder additional hardware to necessary points on the 360's board.
    • Boot the console :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Thanks. So a little more complicated then plugging in a USB memory stick...

At least you don't have to do something crazy like drilling through a chip :P

Advertisement