Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gameathon in aid of The Meningitis Trust

• 21-01-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭

I was asked to post this up - it's being run by some site regulars and it's a terrific cause.
    Gameathon Info

What are we doing?

A 72 hour gaming event where there will always be at least one person playing a game. The people who are playing have challenges to complete. There will also be group tournaments for certain games.

It starts at 9pm on the 3rd of February and ends on the 6th.

What is the charity?

The meningitis trust. You can contact Ger Mills to confirm any details (PM Jazzy for the contact details)

How will the money be donated?

Money will be donated through a mycharity page. This way the money goes straight to the charity. I'm guessing that we will also be collecting a bit of cash money from family/friends. This will be added together and sent to the charity. We can have a money jar at the event for this too.

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/gameathon

Other info:

We are planning on having a basic website with a live webcam feed of the event (technology and bandwidth permitting)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mr E wrote: »
    I was asked to post this up - it's being run by some site regulars and it's a terrific cause.

How much bandwidth do you need for the streaming aspect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Spear wrote: »
    How much bandwidth do you need for the streaming aspect?

we arent sure tbh. a few of us will be online so we are gonna see how she handles before committing to a stream. we will probably just have the stream on at certain times and off at others. we will post here when its on anyhow :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Jazzy wrote: »
    we arent sure tbh. a few of us will be online so we are gonna see how she handles before committing to a stream. we will probably just have the stream on at certain times and off at others. we will post here when its on anyhow :)

So just something small scale, justin.tv level?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

The stream will be set up on a basic website that i am making up at the mo. The site should be live by monday.

I had checked out a free streaming service based in the uk, but if anyone else has any recomendations i will give them a look. Cant remember the name off the top of my head and im on my mobile at the mo.

As jazzy said it looks like we will have times when a number of people will be playing games over the net so im not sure how it will effect the feed. We will test it before the event.

The stream will be set up on a basic website that i am making up at the mo. The site should be live by monday.

I had checked out a free streaming service based in the uk, but if anyone else has any recomendations i will give them a look. Cant remember the name off the top of my head and im on my mobile at the mo.

As jazzy said it looks like we will have times when a number of people will be playing games over the net so im not sure how it will effect the feed. We will test it before the event.

I could potentially arrange a proper streaming facility rather than a free service. But if the audience count is low, it may be pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ustream can work well with 30kb upload.

fair play

Spear wrote: »
    I could potentially arrange a proper streaming facility rather than a free service. But if the audience count is low, it may be pointless.

Cheers for the offer but I dont expect there to be that many concurrent users. I will experiment with a few options next week.

Just want to say thanks to the boards crowd for helping us get the word out there.

As mentioned above we are each doing a number of challenges. A good few of these still have to be confirmed but I thought we would put up what we have so far.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for challenges put them up and we will see what we can do. Between us we have almost every console back to the Nes and loads of games.

Challenges so far:

All games are to be completed.

Cunning Alias:

Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Cybernator
    Mario world (Speed Run)
    Megaman X
    Sonic 3
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Resident Evil 2 (Speed Run, A Ranking, Leon A)
    Metal Gear Solid (Speed Run)
    Possibly Mirrors Edge if I am in the mood.

Jazzy
    Chrono Trigger
    Super Metroid (Speed Run)
    Streets of Rage 2

N
    Fable Trilogy (Yep TRILOGY. He assures us this can be done)

Wiggles
    Italia 90 (Win with Ireland)
    Streets of Rage 2

The Real Phil Collins
    Prince of Persia Sands of Time

Falchion + JanaD
    WoW Start at level 1 and go as high as they can.

JanaD + Cunning Alias
    Endless Setlist of RB1

Bunch more people to confirm what they are doing.

There are also group events like a SSFVI tournament, Mario Kart, Goldeneye etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Cheers for the offer but I dont expect there to be that many concurrent users. I will experiment with a few options next week.

If you're not expecting any more than 50 concurrent viewers, then you might want to try Livestream. Otherwise uStream or Justin.tv are your best bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Donated your first 15 euro.

My full message didn't show :P

It was "SeantheMan demands someone complete "Endless Setlist of RB1" if possible :) ...great challenge to do

Cheers SeantheMan for the donation. We didn't expect anything until the event started. :D

Myself and JanaD are going to give the challenge a go. It will most likely be something we play for a bit and then come back to every now and then (this will leave a 360 running for most of the event. It not RRODing will be a seperate challenge.)

I will set up a gallery on the website for photos (coming Monday) to prove that we completed this and all the other challenges.

Our current plan has the webcam covering the main retro consoles, and the modern consoles will be in another room so there may not be a live feed of this challenge.

Keep them coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

SeantheMan wrote: »
    It was "SeantheMan demands someone complete "Endless Setlist of RB1" if possible :) ...great challenge to do

Beat me to it , was going to say RB2 though both those have a song at the end that makes my hand ache just thinking about playing them. I'd take green grass and high tides over visions any day :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If there's any real men amoung you then they'll try to beat both loops of Ghouls n' ghosts on the arcade. It can be done, I've done it but it's going to take a lot of those infinite continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I've seen this done a couple of times before.

You should really get a proper stream going. Also, have a chat window so people can comment. You should also have one person who isn't playing answering questions and chatting about what game is being played etc.

Spam facebook and twitter beforehand to generate interest.

Don't skimp on thr stream though, people want to see what they are giving money to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maybe you could try some of the games that are attempted in Game Centre CX. Super Mario 2 (ie the lost levels) is a whore of a game and would make a good challenge.

quarryman wrote: »
    I've seen this done a couple of times before.

You should really get a proper stream going. Also, have a chat window so people can comment. You should also have one person who isn't playing answering questions and chatting about what game is being played etc.

Spam facebook and twitter beforehand to generate interest.

Don't skimp on thr stream though, people want to see what they are giving money to.

Looks like uStream will work for our needs (Video/Chat). One of the group is going to be doing the commentary but he will be missing on the Friday. The rest of us will keep an eye on it too.

The facebook page will be up soon, along with the site.
    If there's any real men amoung you then they'll try to beat both loops of Ghouls n' ghosts on the arcade. It can be done, I've done it but it's going to take a lot of those infinite continues.

Thats a good one. I think we have a copy of the snes version somewhere. I will look into it and let you know.

retr0 - you are talking to a guy that got into NMS for his stunning Lost Levels play ;)
    but you're right, it is a whore. not sure if ive got the ability in me any more. I was thinking of a play through of Kid Icarus though

The thing about kid icarus is that if you can get past the first dungeon which takes a lot of grinding enemies then you get to the first point where you level up and the game after that is an absolute breeze.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I've often streamed Street Fighter 4 on ustream while in a lobby. It's not as bandwidth intensive as you'd think and I'd certainly drop in and watch some play.
    SSFVI tournament

Who's playing? Could perhaps drum up some support in the FG forum.

Site is now live.

http://gameathon.arcadia.ie

Who's playing? Could perhaps drum up some support in the FG forum.

me, cunning_alias and 2/3 other guys. nothing fancy and we are comparitively **** compared to the guys on the FG forum

• Advertisement

we are comparitively **** compared to the guys on the FG forum

Ha. Yea, I don't think we would do too well against anyone who actually takes it seriously.

Facebook page is now also live: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Game-A-Thon-in-aid-of-the-Meningitis-Trust/121077197965822?v=wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭padair

Just want to say thanks to the boards crowd for helping us get the word out there.

As mentioned above we are each doing a number of challenges. A good few of these still have to be confirmed but I thought we would put up what we have so far.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for challenges put them up and we will see what we can do. Between us we have almost every console back to the Nes and loads of games.

Challenges so far:

All games are to be completed.

Cunning Alias:

Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Cybernator
    Mario world (Speed Run)
    Megaman X
    Sonic 3
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Resident Evil 2 (Speed Run, A Ranking, Leon A)
    Metal Gear Solid (Speed Run)
    Possibly Mirrors Edge if I am in the mood.

Jazzy
    Chrono Trigger
    Super Metroid (Speed Run)
    Streets of Rage 2

N
    Fable Trilogy (Yep TRILOGY. He assures us this can be done)

Wiggles
    Italia 90 (Win with Ireland)
    Streets of Rage 2

The Real Phil Collins
    Prince of Persia Sands of Time

Falchion + JanaD
    WoW Start at level 1 and go as high as they can.

JanaD + Cunning Alias
    Endless Setlist of RB1

Bunch more people to confirm what they are doing.

There are also group events like a SSFVI tournament, Mario Kart, Goldeneye etc

Finish Deamon Souls twice ;-) each time with a different class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Cool, I have posted around about this to get more intrest too. Great idea, I will be watching!
    You should set a theme like the guys on extralives.org with a mix of games though.

Best of luck!!!

padair wrote: »
    Finish Deamon Souls twice ;-) each time with a different class

One of they guys I haven't put on the list yet was thinking of playing this. It will probably be only once though as he doesn't think he will be available for that long over the weekend.

I have been doing my research on streaming a console feed (thanks to Tallon for his great guides) and I have just ordered the equipment I need. Seems simple enough, so we should have the main Snes hooked up to a live feed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

me, cunning_alias and 2/3 other guys. nothing fancy and we are comparitively **** compared to the guys on the FG forum

Ah, if everyone's around the same level it'll still be good fun. Thats the joy of it.

You should do commentary for it, always a good laugh!

Jazzy has been constantly bigging himself up here as some sort of uber gamer. I'd happily pay money to see a stream of him fail :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

If someone finishes Supermariokart for the snes at 150cc in one go, I'd gladly donate :)*

*will donate regardless:pac:

batari wrote: »
    If someone finishes Supermariokart for the snes at 150cc in one go, I'd gladly donate :)

I can do that with a bit of practice.

Do you mean all the cups or just the special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

The whole thing, start to finish! :pac:

• Advertisement

batari wrote: »
    The whole thing, start to finish! :pac:

Yea I can give that a go. I seem to remember the star cup being a b**** for some reason. Special has one or two that are easy enough to win, so that gives a bit of a safety net to come 1st overall. Should make for a fun stream.

Advertisement