Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2 Delayed until 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dont see why people upset its crap, the 1st bunch were crap.

I will be upset if my pc can run it tho, usually takes 3 years before that happens.

What of all the fancy cryengine 2 tricks are they not in the demo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Dont see why people upset its crap, the 1st bunch were crap.
    You're most certainly in the minority here, while gameplay wise Crysis and Warhead didn't really push the envelope (and that's being kind) they were still both highly enjoyable and stunning technological achievements.
    What of all the fancy cryengine 2 tricks are they not in the demo?
    Crysis 2 is using CryEngine 3 which is basically the second iteration of the engine, highly optimised to run on consoles and with some added niceties for the PC and perhaps console.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gizmo wrote: »
    You're most certainly in the minority here, while gameplay wise Crysis and Warhead didn't really push the envelope (and that's being kind) they were still both highly enjoyable and stunning technological achievements.
    No they didnt, but come on, give me a shotgun/silenced rifle, and a cloaking generator, a jungle, and 20 very alarmed KPA soldiers on Delta difficulty, and I will show you a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

What the hell? Crysis' sandbox gameplay is unrivalled in ANY shooter before or since. Its not just some tech demo.

No offence but that looks remarkably like one of the promo pictures released before the game came out.

oh really? Well then let me furnish you with a couple more i took

qLeG8.jpg

ggjwV.jpg

no, theres no custom configs or photoshop trickery going on here. Theyre taken from a custom map called amazonian river. Whoever made it is a ****ing genius as thats what it looks like just walking around. (it a multiplayer map but you can boot it up in SP and walk around it). It the most impressive thing ive ever seen in a game

and if you STILL dont believe it, heres actual real video evidence i recorded myself

I know its a bit silly comparing PC to console, but the fact is this game was released in 2007, and almost 4 years later, thanks to it being release don console, were looking at a regression rather than progression because of the constraints of the current gen consoles, which makes me sad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Crysis was good but it had some flaws.

Alot of people complained it was too slow paced. Hence why Warhead was much more action heavy. The freedom to move in any direction mean't you could break the scripting if you want too far in a direction you where not suppose to go in or have enemy soliders spawn infront of your eyes. The story and characters didn't set the world alight either.

The Korean general was one of the worst bosses ever. When you first enter the alien ship it is very confusing on what way your suppose to be going. Less of an issue on subsequent play throughs. After you leave the ship and the island flash floods, its effectively a corridor shooter (which makes up about a 3rd of the game) with the alien enemies being vastly less interesting to fight than the Korean soliders. It also has a awful Vtol section. The final boss has a memory leak which was never fixed either. A complete non ending to set up the sequel.

Still I enjoyed the game. But I'm going give the sequal a chance. I think people are way too quick to judge. Multiplayer tells us nothing about the single player story or how interesting the aliens are too fight since they have undergone a radical overhaul. These are more important than graphics, which we have only seen the console version. I'm sure the PC version will have higher settings for textures etc.

Scaling down the play area does not equal dumbing down. The play area was always going be smaller in urban enviroment. Crytek have said that that the game will have emphasis on vertical threats more than Crysis did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Crysis has the reputation for pushing graphics and it's expected of Crysis 2 to push it even further. I doubt they'll dumb things down for the sake of consoles (maybe they will but not for the PC format anyways)

Whatever about the consoles but the PC, as always, will destroy all around it.

Anyways, I don't have a top-notch machine (still can play Crysis 1 on High with minor adjustments) so the graphics for this don't have to be mind-meltingly good. I just want better engines that can handle more advanced animations and physics. Graphics will only take you so far.

It's the gameplay at the end of the day. I just hope the single-player doesn't become, like so many shooters, a training ground for multi-player with no substance.

Overheal wrote: »
    No they didnt, but come on, give me a shotgun/silenced rifle, and a cloaking generator, a jungle, and 20 very alarmed KPA soldiers on Delta difficulty, and I will show you a good time.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I loved the game, I was just quite aware that the technological achievements in terms of graphics weren't matched by similar advances in gameplay. That's not really a criticism to be honest, it was just a nagging feeling while playing. As for the second game, I already have it pre-ordered for the PC so I'll certainly looking forward to getting stuck in again.
    oh really? Well then let me furnish you with a couple more i took
    To be honest I was going to say the same thing about the second one until I saw the video. In fairness though, you're talking about a screenshot at nearly 1080p, with AA and with a post-release shader mod and comparing it to a console version which was never going to approach the original games graphics. It's not a particularly fair comparison even given the time difference given that the hardware in the consoles is over five years old at this stage.
    I know its a bit silly comparing PC to console, but the fact is this game was released in 2007, and almost 4 years later, thanks to it being release don console, were looking at a regression rather than progression because of the constraints of the current gen consoles, which makes me sad
    It's not really regression unless it looks worse on the PC too, which it won't. :)

Oh don't get me wrong, I loved the game, I was just quite aware that the technological achievements in terms of graphics weren't matched by similar advances in gameplay. That's not really a criticism to be honest, it was just a nagging feeling while playing. As for the second game, I already have it pre-ordered for the PC so I'll certainly looking forward to getting stuck in again.

To be honest I was going to say the same thing about the second one until I saw the video. In fairness though, you're talking about a screenshot at nearly 1080p, with AA and with a post-release shader mod and comparing it to a console version which was never going to approach the original games graphics. It's not a particularly fair comparison even given the time difference given that the hardware in the consoles is over five years old at this stage.

It's not really regression unless it looks worse on the PC too, which it won't. :)

Well tbh im only in it for the SP anyway, i really dont care about MP at all. I am worried that the smaller areas are going to lead to a more scripted, linear cod clone, but i guess well see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Is the MP demo up on Xbox ?

• Advertisement

weiland79 wrote: »
    Is the MP demo up on Xbox ?
    Yep, you can find it here too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

stupid demo keeps making my xbox freeze when im about to load a game

I have faith that there wont be too much scripted garbage. It's hard to think of too many instances where this actually did occur in the original. Aside from one or two KPA grunts that might get caught in a logic loop that don't know whether to turn this way or turn that way. The only thing that springs to mind is Helicopter spawns but thats about it. And those things are bastards.

/boss memory-leaked on me last night :(

4 years later I do have a fair amount of faith the AI logic will be a leap ahead, if at least not on par with anything we may have seen in other titles. They have already basically stated the name of the game will be to give you sandbox freedom when accomplishing objectives though.

And whats this about the VTOL mission? I happened to like it. The problem with it though is it's damn short and you don't get time to familiarize. Having a VTOL option in the tank mission might have been a smart choice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I have faith that there wont be too much scripted garbage. It's hard to think of too many instances where this actually did occur in the original. Aside from one or two KPA grunts that might get caught in a logic loop that don't know whether to turn this way or turn that way. The only thing that springs to mind is Helicopter spawns but thats about it. And those things are bastards.

/boss memory-leaked on me last night :(

4 years later I do have a fair amount of faith the AI logic will be a leap ahead, if at least not on par with anything we may have seen in other titles. They have already basically stated the name of the game will be to give you sandbox freedom when accomplishing objectives though.

And whats this about the VTOL mission? I happened to like it. The problem with it though is it's damn short and you don't get time to familiarize. Having a VTOL option in the tank mission might have been a smart choice.

I remember the during final boss battle, my frames per second went to powerpoint presentation levels, and when I looked in Task manager Crysis.exe had gobbled up something like 2.5 gigs of memory :eek:

I launched Task Manager during the seizure and it had consumed everything I had, yes. Almost made me stop and thing about the argument against more than 4gbs of ram. But memory leaks - **** memory leaks. Im sticking with 4. No point in 6 or 8.

edit: except i just checked it against my original purchase and my 2x2 ram is now half the price. mother ****er...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I launched Task Manager during the seizure and it had consumed everything I had, yes. Almost made me stop and thing about the argument against more than 4gbs of ram. But memory leaks - **** memory leaks. Im sticking with 4. No point in 6 or 8.

edit: except i just checked it against my original purchase and my 2x2 ram is now half the price. mother ****er...

Yeah I wouldn't 't go lookning at RAM prices if you bought some over six months ago or thereabouts or you'll just get angry. Pretty well gone from 100 to 40-50 Euro for 4Gb of DDR3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

EA have relented and a PC demo is now planned.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/67305

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Minimum Specs:

Internet connection required for activation
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 x2 2 Ghz or better
    GPU Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB of memory or higher; ATI/AMD Radeon 3850HD 512Mb RAM or higher
    Memory: 2 GB of RAM
    Hard Drive Space: 9 GB
    DVD-ROM with 8x speed
    Audio: DirectX9c compatible
    Keyboard, mouse or Xbox 360 controller for Windows

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-02-crysis-2-system-requirements-released

hmm i have that :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Minimum Specs:

GPU Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB of memory or higher; ATI/AMD Radeon 3850HD 512Mb RAM or higher
    DVD-ROM with 8x speed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-02-crysis-2-system-requirements-released

Those minimum specs are for an ancient machine, better than a consoles capability, but still way behind current hardware. This does not bode well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Not really. Wasn't Crysis' original specs require a 2.8 Pentium 4?

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Those minimum specs are for an ancient machine, better than a consoles capability, but still way behind current hardware. This does not bode well.
    The minimum specs for Crysis at the time were a P4 2.8Ghz, 1GB of RAM and a 256MB graphics card. I think we'll be okay with this one...:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Spear wrote: »

Those minimum specs are higher than Crysis' minimum specs and as we all know you could really crank the settings up on that so it doesn't really tell us anything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

marco_polo wrote: »

For a youtube video the graphics look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I feel a little sad. For Crysis a year or two back, I cranked out a quad, 4gb ram, dual GTX260 (very pricey at the time) in an Antec 1200.....now, with Crysis 2 approaching, my PCs a small Matx cube, I do all my gaming on my 360, namely Halo Reach, and I'll probably get Crysis 2 for said console. Funny how in a year or two, I've gone from a PC nut to being, literally, indifferent, my PC has been relegated to being used to look at 'You laugh, you loose' in AH while I'm waiting between games in Halo....

Minimum Specs:

DVD-ROM with 8x speed

Interestingly those minimum requirement are practically identical to the reccommended ones for the original Crysis

Recommended System Requirements

Processor - Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Memory - 2.0 GB RAM
    GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

those graphics look pretty damn spiffy if you ask me.

Those aliens as previously speculated dont seem to be much different than the originals. I played through the floaty level just last week and they seem anatomically similar, if wearing rather trimmed down assault armor now and not Matrix Squid armor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

marco_polo wrote: »
    Interestingly those minimum requirement are practically identical to the reccommended ones for the original Crysis

Recommended System Requirements

Processor - Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Memory - 2.0 GB RAM
    GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

Afaik that's because DX11 is pretty much DX10, but packaged differently (with a few added features). I read much of the focus went to ease the developer burden as opposed to the technological side of things, so there isn't the same gap at the hardware level.

Afaik that's because DX11 is pretty much DX10, but packaged differently (with a few added features). I read much of the focus went to ease the developer burden as opposed to the technological side of things, so there isn't the same gap at the hardware level.
    This is really not correct, as an API advancement DX11 is nothing like DX10 at all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

This is really not correct, as an API advancement DX11 is nothing like DX10 at all. :)

But that was kinda my point, in a convoluted way. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read much at the time about DX11 trying to behave a bit like a superset of DX10 in terms of the API, in order to make it easier for developers to support the two in the same title. Whereas DX10, the focus was on the technological leaps (e.g. the addition of the geometry shader), DX11 was more about making these features easier to use (for example better render targets in order to make things like SSAO easier to implement). Been out of the loop for a bit so did I pick it up wrong?

Advertisement