Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does it mean to be Irish?

• 10-05-2010 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Sorry you all may think this as a load of balls and it’s probably not in the correct forum but it is something I’ve been asking myself a lot lately and I’d like to know what you all think?
    So

What do we think of ourselves as a race and how do you feel we are perceived by the world as a people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭duffflash

Ok cool so we're not a race.

As a country? as a people? as irish even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

I get the impression we are fairly well perceived around the world. There are many countries that fare much worse in terms of negative sterotypes IMO.

However, what it means, to me, to be Irish? Almost nothing mate.

An accident of birth and location, that's all. I'm neither ashamed nor proud, just utterly ambivalent about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

duffflash wrote: »
    Sorry you all may think this as a load of balls and it’s probably not in the correct forum but it is something I’ve been asking myself a lot lately and I’d like to know what you all think?
    So

What do we think of ourselves as a race and how do you feel we are perceived by the world as a people?
    from a non irishman,on irish people, lovely and friendly people,great sense of humour, easy to get on with, they have a few problems but who has not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Ask Ian Paisley - “I would never repudiate the fact that I am an Irishman”.

It's all too complicated, makes my head hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...though we do seem to share a genetic propensity for a distended belly and hairy backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm neither proud nor ashamed of being Irish, because it's not something I achieved: it happened. But it was a fortunate happening, and I am very pleased to be Irish. It means that I have had to good fortune to spend my life (longer than most other people here) in a place that is relatively peaceful, prosperous, and free. I also enjoy, and identify with, many aspects of Irish culture, both the Gaelic and the Anglo-Irish traditions.

It's a bonus when I travel outside the country and find that Irish people are generally well-regarded and made more welcome than other visitors.

But when we have a collective outbreak of rage over Thierry Henry doing something that we would applaud if Robbie Keane did, I briefly lose my enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Celts could be considered a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Overheal wrote: »
    Celts could be considered a race.

But the word celt has been corrupted, bastardised and mislabled. Irish people aren't celts geneticaly just culturally and linguistically.
    http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/2006/10/mythsofbritishancestry/

fontanalis wrote: »
    ... Irish people aren't celts geneticaly just culturally and linguistically...

I accept that is broadly true. That's enough for me to consider myself Celtic.

• Advertisement

I accept that is broadly true. That's enough for me to consider myself Celtic.

Yes, but using the word celtic race really skews the meaning doesn't it? Sorry, being a bit pedantic but I find the whole ancestry thing very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Nodin wrote: »
    ...though we do seem to share a genetic propensity for a distended belly and hairy backside.

Why bring the women into this ?

fontanalis wrote: »
    Yes, but using the word celtic race really skews the meaning doesn't it? Sorry, being a bit pedantic but I find the whole ancestry thing very interesting.

Calling any population group in Europe a race is a bit iffy. I'd call us a Celtic people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The ancient Greeks, who took care to write stuff down, called all peoples to the north Keltoi.

Caeser, being a Roman (they had a big Greco fetish), reused the term when he landed in Gaul to refer to the tribes he encountered there. He also wrote stuff down.

And here we are today, reading stuff that some people wrote down. It is a meaningless term. There is no Celtic race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

"It means we're not fucking English."

What does it mean to be Irish? I think P. Breathnach nailed it.

loldog wrote: »
    Ask Ian Paisley - “I would never repudiate the fact that I am an Irishman”.

It's all too complicated, makes my head hurt.

It's best not to think about it too much.
    http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/003780.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I would call myself a Gael not Celtic

Personally i feel most irish when i visit a megalithic monument or am travelling through some beautifull corner of the country or sitting in a pub playing trad music. its a hard thing to articulate but i just get a feeling of being at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Were good at fightin n drinkin of course :D. Seriously though we do have a rep for being plastered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

begrudging the success of your friends and neighbours is what it means to be Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭creeper1

It used to be about having a good work ethic - that's been replaced with feelings of entitlements.

It used to be about respecting the church and being catholic - that's been replaced with one night stands and single parent families.

Some things never change though. A love of alcohol and quick wit are timeless Irish qualities. Also a good natured nationalism and love for Ireland.

For all it's faults we can still call this country "the best little country in the world"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

creeper1 wrote: »
    It used to be about respecting the church and being catholic - that's been replaced with one night stands and single parent families.

No complaints here. I'm very happy to see things changing at home (east clare) and becoming more open while at the same time retaining a good community spirit. The taboos are disappearing, 'tis great.

It used to be about having a good work ethic - that's been replaced with feelings of entitlements.

Some things never change though. A love of alcohol and quick wit are timeless Irish qualities. Also a good natured nationalism and love for Ireland.

For all it's faults we can still call this country "the best little country in the world"

Yeah because that's worse than an organisation on a moral high horse protecting child rapists, grow up. And because of this alone it can't be called the best little country in the wold. Oh and mass emigration would also see to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Calling any population group in Europe a race is a bit iffy. I'd call us a Celtic people.

Contradict yourself much ?
    It used to be about respecting the church and being catholic
    So Jews, Protestants, Atheists, Pagans, Druids etc = not Irish (or just not as Irish as the followers of a foreign cult introduced by an illegal immigant from Wales) ?
    dlofnep wrote: »
    "It means we're not fucking English."
    I will copulate with who I like without seeking permission from anyone (other than the person in question) thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

It used to be about respecting the church "

why should i respect rapists, paedophile-enablers and hatemongers?

It used to be about having a good work ethic - that's been replaced with feelings of entitlements.[/QUOTE]
    questionable
    as opposed to imprisoning women for having kids outside of marriage. as opposed to respecting one parent families. read up on you history prior to laudabiliter. the celtic church was allot better than the romans
    all the qualities you have mentioned are ones i want to eradicate

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭creeper1

bad2dabone wrote: »
    why should i respect rapists, paedophile-enablers and hatemongers?

You shouldn't. However its a case of one bad apple spoils the whole barrel. The vast majority of priest and religious people DO NOT abuse children. What are you? A prodestant? Get the hell out of here with your hate filled propaganda.

For every swine of peadophile priest there is a good honest and loving mother Theresa.

For the record, catholics just a two hundred years ago risked their very lives to practice their religion. They did it and they should be applauded for it.

But anyway that's ancient history we have the one night stands and single parents all over Ireland now. Like that;s GREAT PROGRESS for you.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

LOL.

nach bhfuil aon chullúr leis na duinne gaellach.

some of the things that make me feel proud of our culture

1: the life of St columbs by Adomnán of Iona: talks about homosexuallity in a liberal way before rome got its grubby hands on us.

2: the Táin Bo Cuaillaige: a fantastic epic which illustrates the futility of armed conflict

3: brehon law: although not perfect a shining example during the dark ages of logic and reasonable governence.

4: the first woman elected to westminster

5. our poetry from pangur bán to raglan road

6. the role the monks had in preserving learning and classical culture during europes dark ages

5: traditional irish music contains almost no irish instruments but still remains irish by spirit

what dulls that pride

1: the fact that unionist were right. for 80 year home rule was in fact rome rule

2: walking around Dublin and seeing so much of what was beautifull 40 years ago stamped upon

3: the gombeenism, hungry and corupt political class of today

You shouldn't. However its a case of one bad apple spoils the whole barrel. The vast majority of priest and religious people DO NOT abuse children. What are you? A prodestant? Get the hell out of here with your hate filled propaganda.
    irrelevant. members of an organisation may engage in criminal activity and others may be innocent. the fact is that is it was the policy of that organisation that the criminal activity should be facilitated. that makes it a criminal organisation no matter what way you look at it. if those members had any moral fortitude they would disassociate themselves from such an organisation. your accusations of protestantism clearly shows you prejudice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

For every swine of peadophile priest there is a good honest and loving mother Theresa.

For the record, catholics just a two hundred years ago risked their very lives to practice their religion. They did it and they should be applauded for it.

But anyway that's ancient history we have the one night stands and single parents all over Ireland now. Like that;s GREAT PROGRESS for you.:rolleyes:

It's posts like this that put me off posting on Irish political boards, generally engaging with Irish politics beyond voting and which by and large make me wish I wasn't born here.

Advertisement