Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

time wasters

Options
  • 01-07-2008 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm not too sure but I think I'm dealing with a time waster, I'm selling my car, and this person has been contacting me for a week now, telling me he has to get a loan from the bank.... asking to hold the car, blah blah blah.

I'm not sure and I don't want to call the person a time waster outright.

But I want to hear some of your opinions, the ones that have sold lots of cars and have experience, do people like these ever commit to really buy a car or do they just pussyfoot around and just waste time, like I suspect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It is possible they need to get a loan but tbh, they should have sorted this first.

If they want to hold the car and you're happy to do it, then maybe ask for a non-refundable deposit of about €200 and this will hold the car for whatever lenght of time you decide.

If they baulk at the deposit and many people will, then continue to try to sell to others

I've never sold a car or owned a car, just giving my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm not too sure but I think I'm dealing with a time waster, I'm selling my car, and this person has been contacting me for a week now, telling me he has to get a loan from the bank.... asking to hold the car, blah blah blah.

I'm not sure and I don't want to call the person a time waster outright.

But I want to hear some of your opinions, the ones that have sold lots of cars and have experience, do people like these ever commit to really buy a car or do they just pussyfoot around and just waste time, like I suspect?

it a buyers market, he calls the shots im afraid.

you could ring him back and say that another party is interested in your car and ask him is he still interested. he might say "no", but then you'll know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If he is the only person interested, what's the issue.

If you have more than 1 person interested, sell it to the other one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks for the replies!

Well he did offer a deposit.

I guess I'll go along and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Well he did offer a deposit.

Take it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

AudiChris wrote: »
    Take it

Damn it, I already declined :(

Never had to deal with such a situation before, oh well, live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Damn it, I already declined :(

Never had to deal with such a situation before, oh well, live and learn.
    Don't worry, you can always ring back and say something along the lines of 'Listen, I know I said there was no need for a deposit, but i've had another offer, i'd be happy to sell the car to you but I need a non-refundable deposit just so I know that the car's definitely sold.' Write him a receipt giving a date (maybe 10 days) for completion and stressing that the deposit is non-refundable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Anan1 wrote: »
    Don't worry, you can always ring back and say something along the lines of 'Listen, I know I said there was no need for a deposit, but i've had another offer, i'd be happy to sell the car to you but I need a non-refundable deposit just so I know that the car's definitely sold.' Write him a receipt giving a date (maybe 10 days) for completion and stressing that the deposit is non-refundable.

+1

You're waiting on him. It's dragging on longer than you or he thought. He should have no problem fulfilling his original offer of a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Anan1 wrote: »

+1

Puts the pressure on :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The down-side to taking a deposit is that you've then entered into a contract to sell the car to him so if another punter comes along tomorrow with a fist full of cash, you can't sell it.

If you do take a deposit, as Anan said, make sure you stipulate a date in writing that the deal must be completed by, otherwise he could string you along for months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

First with the readys should get the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Ask for a deposit again citing another interested party.
    Then give him 48hrs to obtain the rest of the funds.

end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yep, whenever i agree i sale i always ask for a non refundable deposit of 250, if they are serious there will be no issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bah, you think trying to sell your car is hard? Try selling a €50k+ boat and watch the timewasters/dreamers roll in

Usually a refundable €1000 cash deposit before sea trial filters them out pretty well though

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

These days it's a buyers market and most people will then take the opportunity to shop around. It's not hugely likely the cars are going anywhere soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Yes. They do. I sold a car recently for a friend who'd emigrated. I got a call from a really nice lad up in Dundalk who needed a week or so to organise his loan and get a lift down.

I told him I'd hold it for him until he got sorted, but that I wouldn't negotiate on the price, which was already at a low price for a quick sale. When he came down he had the full ammount and didn't waste my time haggling. I gave him €50 luck money and a tank full of petrol for not being an arse and staying in touch while I waited for him to get his money organised.

So, yes, there are some decent sods who might need a bit of time. But being honest, I'd guess they're few and far between....

Advertisement