Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'm sure IW are looking into legal restrictions to penalise Mr and Mrs Bloggs for doing such a thing at this very minute.

You'd find it incredibly difficult to do that, considering the set up used allows anyone walking down the street full and unrestricted access, another grip some have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

Has anyone from the government or IW given any explanation for the constant claim that IW 'cannot possibly be sold or privatised' when the actual wording of the legistlation clearly state that this is only so UNLESS THE MINISTER WANTS TO DO OTHERWISE??

That was the old wording from the Water Services Act 2013, it was amended in the Water Services (No2) Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

bladespin wrote: »
    You'd find it incredibly difficult to do that, considering the set up used allows anyone walking down the street full and unrestricted access, another grip some have.

Ditto if it turns out the tamper proof meters aren't sledgehammer proof, anyone could pour cement into the hole too.

Ditto if it turns out the tamper proof meters aren't sledgehammer proof, anyone could pour cement into the hole too.
    Ours certainly isn't tamperproof (not sure of the dials) the meter unit simply screws in on a treaded inster and only handtight too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

chasm wrote: »
    That was the old wording from the Water Services Act 2013, it was amended in the Water Services (No2) Act.

Is What you've just proven, is that it can be amended on a whim? Why cant they change it again?

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    This is the exact same as the lpt. Big fuss beforehand with lots of people saying they won't pay. Fast forward a year and compliance is over 90%. This will be the same.

No it isn't, property tax went down the road of being taken from welfare, pensions or wages thanks to revenue.

Irish water is a utility and unlike property tax it can't get revenue to collect.

If people don't pay then it's between Irish water, the householder and the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

buy bottled water like on holidays for brushing teeth and drinking and wash in the rain.let them cut the water off.

buy bottled water like on holidays for brushing teeth and drinking and wash in the rain.let them cut the water off.

They cannot cut the water supply off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

So.... From your posts you want to live on the side of the road drinking bottled water.

Please .... Please do so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lacco

They cannot cut the water supply off.

This is looking like a major headache for government and irish water very different scenario to the property tax but hey they only have themselves to blame.

• Advertisement

lacco wrote: »
    This is looking like a major headache for government and irish water very different scenario to the property tax but hey they only have themselves to blame.

Looks like the advisory fees etc didn't give great value for money there doesn't it? Surely they knew the basic human rights and how it would stop cut-offs? Reductions are a different beast but as detailed in the other thread that might not be as simple as they made our either.

Looks like the advisory fees etc didn't give great value for money there doesn't it? Surely they knew the basic human rights and how it would stop cut-offs? Reductions are a different beast but as detailed in the other thread that might not be as simple as they made our either.

Whole thing is completely mismanaged they definitely didn't do their homework.Consultants fees for what eh? It really looks like they are chancing their arm and hoping that people will buy it literally. What a joke.And did they never hear of lean business model obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I rang Irish Water and they confirmed to me that my annual bill will be 483 euro , and an allowance of 21,000 litres for child .

I asked them what this allowance equates to in money terms and Irish Water did not know the answer.
    If you rang them before today, then they didn't have the information because CER hadn't told them what the charges were.

Based on a price of €4.88/1kl, the child allowance is worth €102.48/year and the standard allowance worth €146.40

The pricing structure actually seems a bit strange at first glance, but it's quite logical. It's not possible to meter the amount of waste water someone produces, so they use the very reasonable idea that for every litre you consume, you will produce a litre of waste water. So you're charged both the in & out value of each kl of water that goes through the meter.

If you only use the in water, your charges are half. If you only use the public sewer, you're charged a flat assessed value.

There's also a pretty fair calibration period. Even if you have a meter, you'll pay the flat assessed charge until next June. If at that point, your meter shows that you would have been charged less over the previous nine months, you'll get a refund. If your meter shows a higher charge, you only have to pay the assessed rate.
    That effectively gives everyone nine months to check out their pipework and adjust their own behaviour to reduce water usage before the charges actually come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

The pay in IW must be terrible. Even the directors have to take a second job to make ends meet.

From RTE.ie
    "Minister of State at the Department of the the Environment Paudie Coffee has hired a former Waterford city mayor and current director of Irish Water Hilary Quinlan as one of his drivers."

Story.

No problem in someone getting hired as a driver as he seems to be out of work following losing his seat, they don't do themselves any favours regarding the recent jobs for the boys scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Relax folks,Brendan Howlin has been on RTE News telling us not to worry & everything is going to be grand:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

paulbok wrote: »
    The pay in IW must be terrible. Even the directors have to take a second job to make ends meet.

From RTE.ie
    "Minister of State at the Department of the the Environment Paudie Coffee has hired a former Waterford city mayor and current director of Irish Water Hilary Quinlan as one of his drivers."

Story.

No problem in someone getting hired as a driver as he seems to be out of work following losing his seat, they don't do themselves any favours regarding the recent jobs for the boys scandal.

Honestly, can we bring out the fupping guillotines yet?

"Mr Quinlan added: “You tell me one party out there who doesn’t look after their own. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s politics.” "

Scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

seamus wrote: »
    There's also a pretty fair calibration period. Even if you have a meter, you'll pay the flat assessed charge until next June. If at that point, your meter shows that you would have been charged less over the previous nine months, you'll get a refund. If your meter shows a higher charge, you only have to pay the assessed rate.
    That effectively gives everyone nine months to check out their pipework and adjust their own behaviour to reduce water usage before the charges actually come in.

Oh, I thought the assessed rate was a cap. If you hit the assessed rate then that's it. 9 months seems a long time to wait for a refund if you've been conserving water. I guess it's a fair calibration period though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

paulbok wrote: »
    It's right there in the article :)
    he gets €15,000 a year from Irish Water by being on the board
    To be fair, that's pretty typical of these kinds of directorships, primarily because these are often consulting-type roles rather than full-time jobs. The board probably meets for a couple of hours a month to discuss things and vote on a few others. It likely works out at something obscene like €200/hour.
    It also doesn't mention what kind of expenses he can claim for this directorship.

Big businesspeople make a massive living out of this, by maintaining directorships in multiple companies simultaneously.

Definitely a "jobs for the boys" stink from his appointment though.

seamus wrote:
    There's also a pretty fair calibration period.
    Wonder what is the meter's own calibration period, I'd imagine it would have to be performed annually, our's will be due around July then, do they provide certification or label you can reference for the certificate like a petrol station?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Daith wrote: »
    Oh, I thought the assessed rate was a cap. If you hit the assessed rate then that's it. 9 months seems a long time to wait for a refund if you've been conserving water.

But now it is actually in our interests not to conserve water, unless you can make massive savings. If everyone makes small savings then IW will just increase the rates to comensate (they have already said this).

So if you are even close to the limit, turn on all the taps as the fee can't be more than the assessed rate and it will put their data out of whack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wonder what is the meter's own calibration period, I'd imagine it would have to be performed annually, our's will be due around July then, do they provide certification or label you can reference for the certificate like a petrol station?

You can be 100% certain that this hasn't even been thought of by IW

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

lacco wrote: »
    Whole thing is completely mismanaged they definitely didn't do their homework.Consultants fees for what eh? It really looks like they are chancing their arm and hoping that people will buy it literally. What a joke.And did they never hear of lean business model obviously not.

It has nothing to do with lean business models or a fair system.

It's simply about offloading government responsibility for a crucial utility.

Government can now simply say it's nothing to do with them, like waste management and pass off the public to an unconcerned private company who'll just tell them to fuck off.

It's a money spinner for the lads and the public lose out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

How often do they calibrate your gas or electricity meter? I've never had mine calibrated.

Phoebas wrote:
    How often do they calibrate your gas or electricity meter? I've never had mine calibrated.

Think both gas and electric meters belong to the household and are therefore your responsibility to ensure calibration is correct and indate (calibration tags are visible on our electric unit though) the water meter is part of the IW equipment so the responsibility is theirs, you should be entitled to know the unit monitoring anything you must pay for is accurate.
    I'd also like to know the allowable error tolerance is on these as the numbers look pretty significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

I will sell them my PPS number for a guaranteed 50% of what they get for selling it on to others, because sell it they will. A complete up to date data base of such magnitude is worth a fortune. Ps if they have absolutely definitely no intention of selling, or allowing my personal details to fall into the wrong hands and are prepared to write to me and confirm same in a legal contract then I will consider giving them my PPS number for free.

Hitbit:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Am I entitled to ask Irish Water to prove that they are billing me correctly and that the quantity I am being charged for corresponds with the meter reading. Will they send someone to show me the readings are correct.
    When Electric Irl or Bord Gais come to read their meters I can verify that I am charged in accordance with the meter reading and so am assured that I am being charged only for electricity/gas that I have actually used.

Hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Daith wrote: »
    Oh, I thought the assessed rate was a cap. If you hit the assessed rate then that's it. 9 months seems a long time to wait for a refund if you've been conserving water. I guess it's a fair calibration period though.

It is a cap - don't know how people are getting the idea it's otherwise. (I did hear someoen on Newstalk say it was a flat rate though)
    Metered homes will be charged for usage - but capped for 9 months at the assessed charge for a household of their size.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/figures-for-water-charges-released.html

http://www.water.ie/customer-applications/charges/

Tony EH wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with lean business models or a fair system.

It's simply about offloading government responsibility for a crucial utility.

Government can now simply say it's nothing to do with them, like waste management and pass off the public to an unconcerned private company who'll just tell them to fuck off.

It's a money spinner for the lads and the public lose out again.

Yes you are absolutely right the government have off loaded the problem and yes yet again we are the losers. My point was that 40 million has already been wasted on consultants who haven't even managed to get the basics right and have obviously no understanding of adding value for the customer judging by the level of dissatisfaction people feel and the mess that the whole thing now is .People are just being walked over left, right and centre. But I don't think people will realise what they are letting themselves in for till the bills starting rolling in and by then it will be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Think both gas and electric meters belong to the household and are therefore your responsibility to ensure calibration is correct and indate (calibration tags are visible on our electric unit though) the water meter is part of the IW equipment so the responsibility is theirs, you should be entitled to know the unit monitoring anything you must pay for is accurate.
    I'd also like to know the allowable error tolerance is on these as the numbers look pretty significant.

That isn't correct.
    Except in cases where there is a special agreement to the contrary, the amount of electricity supplied to your home will be measured by a meter or meters and other apparatus supplied and installed by ESB Networks. This equipment remains the property of ESB Networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Like other utilities, will there be the possibility of other water companies starting up or will Irish Water have a monopoly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement