Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Slipshaney wrote: »
    Did not think I would get so much grief for shooting low! Was a bizarre round - as in got up and down a good few times when I had no right to

Great score well done. Lots of ways to break 80.

Makes me smile when people trot out the bandit label for a score like that, no bandit ever submitted a card like that, especially near the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 linksrookie

New personal best of 111 this weekend. :D

Putting still a bit of but not as bad as previously. Driving is going well and helping me out a lot, as my irons still need work. Hoping to be able to play to a 28 when joining a club in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Did not think I would get so much grief for shooting low! Was a bizarre round - as in got up and down a good few times when I had no right to
    Don't mind him, Fix is just a bit jealous, he had an epic thread/journey on breaking 80 and even now that he's off 7 (I think) he still struggles to break 80, I think he sometimes fails to realise that that's "just golf" and is perfectly normal.
    I suppose the way he sees it is if he can't do it then how can anyone else, silly logic I know, but that's the way it is.
    Again congrats on your great score and all the best for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Thanks Norfolk! Ill be sure to post after my next round - should be a more realistic score
    Don't mind him, Fix is just a bit jealous, he had an epic thread/journey on breaking 80 and even now that he's off 7 (I think) he still struggles to break 80, I think he sometimes fails to realise that that's "just golf" and is perfectly normal.
    I suppose the way he sees it is if he can't do it then how can anyone else, silly logic I know, but that's the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

After 3 .1s on the bounce hit 37 points in Mitchelstown over the weekend. Pulled something in my back 2 weeks ago and couldn't seem to commit to a full shot, hence 24,26 and 31 points.
    7pars, 8 bogeys, 1 double and 2 scratches. Back out to 17, really think I'm playing better than that. Another session with the chiropractor this afternoon might be in time for weekend golf:-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

In fairness 48pts is not "perfectly normal", it might be "just golf" alright and happen once in a blue moon when the stars align but we appear to have very unusual constellation alignments every second weekend with all the high scores posted. Such scores as the 6 handicap shooting 46pts in Lucan at the weekend for instance, crazy scores.

I'm hoping they align this weekend again allowing me to shoot level par for a potentially competitive 43pts and smashing my all time best score of 41pts back in 2011 of a handicap of 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I had 46 points last year off 16, 6 over on a hard course that could have easily been 2 shots better with 2 silly double bogeys. I'm off 12 now and can't see myself reproducing that round anytime soon.
    The guys shooting big points in a weekly comp are hardly bandits, less than €100 prizes in most clubs is hardly worth getting 2-3 shots off your HCP if you are a bandit. People putting up huge scores in classic and team events are the real bandits.

In fairness 48pts is not "perfectly normal", it might be "just golf" alright and happen once in a blue moon when the stars align but we appear to very unusual constellation alignments every second weekend with all the high scores posted. Such scores as the 6 handicap shooting 46pts in Lucan at the weekend for instance, crazy scores.

I'm hoping they align this weekend again allowing me to shoot level par for a potentially competitive 43pts and smashing my all time best score of 41pts back in 2011 of a handicap of 14.

No excuse for earlier slurs on this thread. Apologies are owed in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Norfolk - touché.

I'm always delighted to see lads improve. Anybody, who knows me, can tell you that.

I just said it was a bizarre round - it was.

Fair play - brilliant stuff. We just don't often see a lad beat his handicap by 12 shots.

I didn't say he was a bandit - but it is a bit if a joke if anybody hammers their handicap by that much. People say "ya bandit". I was genuinely interested how he did it.

Lads have come on here and said they are real bandits for club comps - different thing all together.

I agree - golf and the handicap scene is way too cynical - I've been newly exposed to it over the last year. It is sad in a way. But I'm pretty sure I'm not to blame (lol). Particularly - as you say - If I can't play to mine and 36 points is a good day.

Norfolk - touché.

I'm always delighted to see lads improve. Anybody, who knows me, can tell you that.

I just said it was a bizarre round - it was.

Fair play - brilliant stuff. We just don't often see a lad beat his handicap by 12 shots.

I didn't say he was a bandit - but it is a bit if a joke if anybody hammers their handicap by that much. People say "ya bandit". I was genuinely interested how he did it.

Lads have come on here and said they are real bandits for club comps - different thing all together.

I agree - golf and the handicap scene is way too cynical - I've been newly exposed to it over the last year. It is sad in a way. But I'm pretty sure I'm not to blame (lol). Particularly - as you say - If I can't play to mine and 36 points is a good day.

Why is it a joke? You go out to shoot your best every time, you succeed or fail to diferent extents each time. He shot the lights out that's all, should he have pulled up?

Once you get below 18 then usually you are capable of parring any hole on your course, if it comes together on any given day then you'll score. Rare but all the more impressive for that.

(You might not have said bandit directy but you joined in with the sniggering btw, pretty much the same thing).

• Advertisement

I feel like I should get my original post deleted ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Just for clarification. My gif was tongue in cheek at you.

I couldn't care less if you shoot 20 or 50 points and if you were a bandit or not(not saying you are) as I can't change any of it.

Cairny . Lots of conditional aspects to your brackets there.
    Before you bring yourself into your own apologies- actually look at posts.

If i scored 12 below my handicap. Lads would joke calling me a bandit. I'd expect it . I'd laugh at it. Not sure i would do that . Unless i knew lad well and he would know i was joking.

Yes perhaps that is wrong. But common enough.But most lads at some stage are called a bandit or a hacker.

I entered into this with genuine curiosity.

That would be - what did you win ? What cut did you get ?

Slipshaney. Why on earth would you remove post. Tell us more is all i asked. Fair play round of your life. A one off. First time I read anything like it. So was curious.
    A couple of lads joked. But it was an incredible post.

Cairny. Your looking for something else.
    But lads are coming on here and have told me they are told to mind their handicaps for club comps. That is another subject . And nothing to do with this.

Open a thread if you want .

Cairny . Lots of conditional aspects to your brackets there.
    Before you bring yourself into your own apologies- actually look at posts.

If i scored 12 below my handicap. Lads would joke calling me a bandit. I'd expect it . I'd laugh at it. Not sure i would do that . Unless i knew lad well and he would know i was joking.

Yes perhaps that is wrong. But common enough.But most lads at some stage are called a bandit or a hacker.

I entered into this with genuine curiosity.

That would be - what did you win ? What cut did you get ?

Slipshaney. Why on earth would you remove post. Tell us more is all i asked. Fair play round of your life. A one off. First time I read anything like it. So was curious.
    A couple of lads joked. But it was an incredible post.

Cairny. Your looking for something else.
    But lads are coming on here and have told me they are told to mind their handicaps for club comps. That is another subject . And nothing to do with this.

Open a thread if you want .

I'm going to leave the off topic stuff in your post if you don't mind. I don't understand what you mean anyway.

Slipshaney posted about shooting the round of his life and all he got was sarcasm etc. I think that's wrong. I don't think anybody else would be encouraged to post in this thread about a good score after the reaction he got.

I've explained already why a person minding their handicap wouldn't record that type of score, team comps etc are not relevant here.

Again . Cairny . Everything your talking about is nothing to do with me. So if you don't mind stop quoting me and move on.

Slip .

Can you reply.

Was it counting .
    what did you win
    Did you get a cut.
    Was it in a comp.
    A society.

Well done.

Sure thing, wasn't in a comp or society or anything, just played a round with a mate.

Didnt win anything either unfortunately, just got a good buzz after it.

Wont be posting my score for another while after this me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Had 36points, 76 strokes off 4 around castleknock today, could have been 40 easily, had a decent birdie putt on the first 10 holes, was 2 under after 9, left a really good round out there, hit 92% of fairways and 72% of gir, putting was bad though. 6 bogies on the back nine!! Disaster!!

Sure thing, wasn't in a comp or society or anything, just played a round with a mate.

Didnt win anything either unfortunately, just got a good buzz after it.

Cool well done . Serious golf.

You'll be down to single figures if you want ?

But . Maybe it is "just golf" to you.

I wish I was back to just golf at times . Enjoy. Lads were only joking . As we don't often see scores like that here. In fact it could be a record.

So as rounds of life go . Pity it wasn't a win.

I wish I was back to just golf at times . Enjoy. Lads were only joking . As we don't often see scores like that here. In fact it could be a record.

Thanks very much - would be nice to have been in a comp, but will take it all the same. Onwards and upwards....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Tis a different game with a card in your pocket in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I wish it was that easy. I have only broken 80 twice. Never in competition and they were rounds of 74 and 75. Second one was +4 on home course off 13 for 45 pts. Conditions were awful, wind and rain, I bet CSS would have been 34, maybe even 33.

Never come close to it since. What did I do different ? Only thing I can think of was I wasn't thinking about the golf. I was with a great mate and we were having a laugh and trying to survive the weather. So it can happen. And I work very hard at my game so it's not like I don't want to get there.

I guess what I am saying is that not everyone that has a great score is a bandit or would be a single digit player if they really wanted it. I have a bare mantle piece to prove I ain't no bandit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Thanks very much - would be nice to have been in a comp, but will take it all the same. Onwards and upwards....

Great golfing slipshaney. I don't think there was a single ill meant post on here in fairness, just a bit of friendly needling. If I shot a 74 at the weekend I'd be expecting a bit of stick myself!

I think anyone that has met Fix or knows him from the boards outings would say he is a gent (albeit a complete nutter :D)who is full of praise for a good round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

38 off 18 at a breezy and wet Roganstown today. 8 Pars and 6 doubles. Parred all the par 5s which was nice. Should be down to 17 now :)

Don't you think that's being a bit too sensitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

28 points of 21 Headfort New

Couple of pars and 3 scratches and loads of 1 pointers

Course was tough ( for me at least) today. Scratched 2 holes and tripled another due to loosing a ball in plain view. Rough was about 4", then the leaves and the rain made it hard to find anything or hit out of.

Next time

35 points today which included a scratch on the index 18 par 3.

Complete mi**** off the tee with an 8 iron. The ball only went about 50yards. Ended up behind a tree, then in a bunker, then thin over a bunker then I picked up before the ball just exploded.

14 out followed by a level par back 9 for 21 points.

Funny old game.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Don't you think that's being a bit too sensitive?

Was kidding ForeRight

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

dar_cool wrote: »
    Had 36points, 76 strokes off 4 around castleknock today, could have been 40 easily, had a decent birdie putt on the first 10 holes, was 2 under after 9, left a really good round out there, hit 92% of fairways and 72% of gir, putting was bad though. 6 bogies on the back nine!! Disaster!!

Played with Dar today and it could have easily have been a biggie. Pleasure to watch on the front 9 especially.

I had 19 points (with 1 Scratch) on the front and I didn't have the honour until the 10th!! Super golf from him.

Back 9 was was a let down for both of us, I had 14 points.... Played 6 holes very well & scratched the other 3 :(

33 points off 12 with 4 scratches (found water stupidly 3 times) and a day were my driving was well below standard.
    There's a lot of encouragement to be taken from it.

Edit: I played 5 holes very well on the back, scratched 3 and 4 putted another for a point :(
    Both of us found the green in reg on the index 1... A quiet walk to the next tee after taking 7 putts between us... Funny old game is right.

Was kidding ForeRight

My bad. Glad you're in good spirits now. Some people take this place very serious and get their knickers in a twist over nothing.

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    My bad. Glad you're in good spirits now. Some people take this place very serious and get their knickers in a twist over nothing.

Ha, that's me is it? Fair enough call I suppose.

Coincidentally I just got called a bandit on FB so I'll be busy for the next hour or so :-P

Advertisement