Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCG Student Project 2015 (Torch)

Options
  • 16-09-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey guys! thought id start this thread for people doing the leaving cert DCG course. The breif looks pretty approachable. Seems like it will be ease to get a high mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Damn, that sounds like a nice one.
    Much better than a water bottle. Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As usual, please do not post images or specific details of exam work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 10SByrne

anyone any tips where to find the history of the torch

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ronan O Donnell

I feel like everyone is going to absolutely flog the first couple of results on Google. Try and avoid that if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ilovetorches

Hi,

I am also a Leaving Certificate student studying design and communication graphics, I'm pleased to hear that you are progressing well <grammar and spelling nazis not welcome, thanks - please read the charter>

I ventured on to this forum today as I was just wondering where some of the other students are at in their projects. I have fallen behind my class, they have progressed to Output 9 but I am still on output 8 as I am slow on the CAD parts. I hope I have not let time get away from me as i have heard Output 9 takes up to 2 weeks.

Hoping for a quick reply,
    T. R. Aveller

• Advertisement

Hi,

I am also a Leaving Certificate student studying design and communication graphics, I'm pleased to hear that you are progressing well <grammar and spelling nazis not welcome, thanks - please read the charter>

I ventured on to this forum today as I was just wondering where some of the other students are at in their projects. I have fallen behind my class, they have progressed to Output 9 but I am still on output 8 as I am slow on the CAD parts. I hope I have not let time get away from me as i have heard Output 9 takes up to 2 weeks.

Hoping for a quick reply,
    T. R. Aveller

It's not even October yet. Way way way too soon to start getting worried about being slow. When I did mine last year I was working on the solidworks up until Christmas, and didn't start my folder until I got back after. Did it all in about two weeks. Mine still turned out very well, but obviously don't leave it that late. Just slowly chip away at the folder between now and due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

Hi :)
    I was just wondering if anyone can explain output 1 to me, I dont really understand what to do apart from the history/evolution.
    *this is a general question not looking for your own original idea :) that's only fair !*

examstress wrote: »
    Hi :)
    I was just wondering if anyone can explain output 1 to me, I dont really understand what to do apart from the history/evolution.
    *this is a general question not looking for your own original idea :) that's only fair !*

Design Research?
    Materials, Shape and Sizes, Problems that torch's have and how you will fix this,
    maybe talk about bulbs, if you're really stuck for more write about the grips, and colour..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 10SByrne

hi my dcg teacher attended cource on it and said do not do history timeline it is worth no marks
    just describe all key words and add 3 of your own and describe in paragraphs. also include pictures to match the keywords

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The marking scheme for the project is part of the main marking scheme for the exam. It appears to be a standard marking scheme for each year. So have a look at it to see where you are awarded marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bingbongboom

How far is every one along on their projects.. I think my class is a bit behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gero797

Finishing up output 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1 synesteryogurt

are you allowed trace images and use them as skethches? and if not how can the examiners find out that you havent actualy havent free hand sketched the images?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

It is extremely obvious to a teacher with any experience whether something was sketched or traced. I equate it to doing the workings in maths or just writing down the answer. You simply won't get the marks if the workings are not there as well.

I'm not fully sure whether or not a traced image is allowed or not to be honest but I wouldn't let any of my students do it. You are trying to show off your sketching skills, that's the whole point of the sketches in the project. If everyone was allowed to trace the sketches would be a complete waste of time you might as well have photos, you are not showing any skills by tracing.

if you are not great at sketching just practice, practice and practice again eventually things will start to work out. However I would advise you to look at clips on youtube or somewhere online if you don't have anyone to show you the correct techniques. It can be very frustrating when things continuously go wrong and you don't know how to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Hi, I wonder if someone could explain a few things to me. Do we put the headings on the sheets? Eg, does my output 3 sheet have to say "freehand graphical representation" somewhere on it? I know it seems like a bit of a stupid question, but our teacher never mentioned anything about this until last week, and I barely have any room left on my first two sheets. Does output 3 have to have any other writing on it, or is it just sketches?

And where is everyone else, because I feel like my class is woefully behind. We got about one class for output 3 before moving on to solidworks, and now we're going on to the concept design and no one has anything done.

No you definitely don't have to put something like "freehand......" You can put Output 3 for example on the sheet if you wish but you don't have to.

No output 3 does not have to have any writing on it

My class have O1,2,3 done and are currently working on Solidworks Part A. I have started to get ideas for the concept design also while working on Solidworks

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Alright thanks. :) My teacher was complaining I didn't have any headings, so I was starting to get a bit worried.

Most people would usually put them on, I don't remember seeing it written anywhere as a requirement. To an examier they will know exactly what each page is without a heading. However if your teacher wants it it doesn't take up much space putting "output 3" on a page

Hi guys just checking in about how everyone is getting on. Also does anyone know if i can get solid works on my iPad or Mac or do i have to go out and buy a pleb laptop?
    Wheres everyone at in their projects? My torch is totes amazeballs.

Hi guys just checking in about how everyone is getting on. Also does anyone know if i can get solid works on my iPad or Mac or do i have to go out and buy a pleb laptop?
    Wheres everyone at in their projects? My torch is totes amazeballs.

Had to point out the irony ;)
    No Mac version though..

• Advertisement

Had to point out the irony ;)
    No Mac version though..

Clearly a pleb

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bucks456

Hi guys, just wondering who's doing the new concept and if so what sort of themes are ye using?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ciaran.cassidy

I love lamp.

Hi everyone ! I am wayy behind on my project ! Would there be any past or present DCG students who could please help me with ideas etc. on private message ? I need to do well in my project as my written exam isn't A standard :( Thanks would really appreciate it !!

How much have you done so far?

Doing solidworks in class at the moment. I have output 1 and 2 nearly done....I dont have enough written :/ -Ill do output 3 at the weekend sometime(had to redo it) ,my sketching is okay so that will be fine. Were going onto output 7 next week still havnt thought of any ideas yet... :/

You are doing fine so, once you finish your solidworks for the first one soon enough you will be fine. You can do outputs 1,2,3,7 and 8 at home, plenty time in evenings and at weekends if you are willing to use it.

rather than just trying to think of a random idea, do your output 7 to inspire your design rather than trying to work backwards. Many students make this mistake, they think of a design for part B and then they try to create outputs 7 and 8 around this design and it usually looks terrible.

Start with the question, who are your target market and then what is your theme. Try to gather images from the theme and see how they can relate to your target market. The idea doesn't have to work, or actually do anything, its all about the design process rather than making the thing in solidworks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ronan O Donnell

Does the concept design have to be realistic/practical or can you explore an unusual theme while still showing the design process, without it being practical or realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DottiSka

I've run into a slight issue. Need advice please.
    I've done both graphical free-hand presentations on two blank A3 papers. The free-hand presentations that have to be handed up in the portfolio are meant to be the originals, implying the actual ones you drawn on - not scanned copies. My foolish thinking (and the lack of information on my teachers part) brought me to believe that I could draw them sketches on blank paper and scan them, then put them on the PowerPoint presentation (with a little neat cropping), lastly printing the slide off. I understand I did the opposite of what I was meant to do but you see, I have a nice border set in the slide where I intended to put the free-hand sketch into the blank space.
    A solution would be to print off the slide with the borders and draw on that however that would require me to repeat the two hours of work I spent previously and I don't want to squeeze out as much time as there already is. I rather not stress myself out.

I have a suggestion, would it be possible to cut out those drawings on the blank papers and glue them onto the printed slide? Then scan them? I don't think I would be penalized for that surely? As long as everything fits within the border I hope. It shouldn't detract from presentation.

• Advertisement

All the sketches in Outputs 3 and 8 must be the originals when handed up at the end. Any other sketches in other outputs can be scanned and printed off.

The sketches can be cut out and stuck onto the sheet template you have, obviously try and make it the neatest job possible. There are marks going for presentation so you may possibly lose some marks for this but I would imagine the amount would be fairly small in the overall scheme of things, whether you feel its worth dropping a couple of marks vs hours spent redoing the sheets is completely up to you but that option is available to you.

Not sure what you mean by then scan them, I presume you don't mean scan them and then print it out, I presume you are talking about how all pages get scanned afterwards for the CD

Advertisement