Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water based Satinwood or Oil based Gloss

Options
  • 08-10-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for a bit of advice in relation to painting wooden skirting boards and doors .
    They are in good nick but havent been painted in almost 20 years ,it looks like a white gloss paint to me ;its smooth ,I can see the grain in places but alot of the shine is gone.

I'd normally use oil based gloss on them ,(I have done alot in the past) but I got some easycare satinwood and used that on some of the skirting boards after I had lightly sanded them down.
    Reason for selecting a water based paint is due to carpets and the ease of use/cleaning brushes/fumes/drying times etc .
    I was also informed that water based paint is alot better than it was before.

The Satinwood seems to have gone on well ,it passed the scratch test and it looks decent but it will need a second coat as some minor marks are showing through and it doesnt seem to be as thick as an oil based gloss.I might need to use bin primer to block marks ?

The finish is a bit too dull for my liking but its very even and smooth .
    Should I have used an undercoat or primer or is it ok to apply the water based satinwood over the oil based old gloss ?
    Is easycare satinwood the retail version of Dulux Diamond Satinwood ?

I have read that oil based gloss isnt what it used to be due to lower voc levels and eu regulations that have made it turn yellow faster.
    Would I be better using the easycare satinwood on the doors or oil based gloss ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Zardoz wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm looking for a bit of advice in relation to painting wooden skirting boards and doors .
    They are in good nick but havent been painted in almost 20 years ,it looks like a white gloss paint to me ;its smooth ,I can see the grain in places but alot of the shine is gone.

I'd normally use oil based gloss on them ,(I have done alot in the past) but I got some easycare satinwood and used that on some of the skirting boards after I had lightly sanded them down.
    Reason for selecting a water based paint is due to carpets and the ease of use/cleaning brushes/fumes/drying times etc .
    I was also informed that water based paint is alot better than it was before.

The Satinwood seems to have gone on well ,it passed the scratch test and it looks decent but it will need a second coat as some minor marks are showing through and it doesnt seem to be as thick as an oil based gloss.I might need to use bin primer to block marks ?

The finish is a bit too dull for my liking but its very even and smooth .
    Should I have used an undercoat or primer or is it ok to apply the water based satinwood over the oil based old gloss ?
    Is easycare satinwood the retail version of Dulux Diamond Satinwood ?

I have read that oil based gloss isnt what it used to be due to lower voc levels and eu regulations that have made it turn yellow faster.
    Would I be better using the easycare satinwood on the doors or oil based gloss ?

Many thanks

Dulux Satinwood water-based is crap compared to it's non-water based brother. If you are unsure which is which, buy the can that says you need to clean the brush(es) with white spirits ;)

Handy to be able to clean brushes with water, but it comes at a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

dodzy wrote: »
    Dulux Satinwood water-based is crap compared to it's non-water based brother. If you are unsure which is which, buy the can that says you need to clean the brush(es) with white spirits ;)

Agree 100% with above, last painting job I did at home I bought 2.5 litres of oil-based satinwood and got it tinted to an off-white shade as I find it can be difficult to get oil-based satinwood in some places now. I've tried easycare water-based and found it very poor- very poor hiding/ cover and brush marks can show up, especially when doing more tricky stuff like panelled doors etc. I don't think that waterbased stuff is as durable either. Only exception to this is in my opinion is the water-based satinwood by Colourtrend- great for furniture and cabinets etc but haven't used it on doors or skirtings, otherwise it's oil-based all the way for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

if you're putting it over old Gloss then you should have used a primer undercoat.
    While it may look ok now you will find that with the slightest knocks it will lift and chip away easily from the old paintwork.
    you should also get some Owltrol oil to prep the old paintwork save yourself a lot of Sanding. you can also add it to primer coat and it makes the paint very easy to spread.

i also agree that Water based paint does not get as high a gloss as Oil based, but I think it probably will hold the colour especially White for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

sky6 wrote: »
    if you're putting it over old Gloss then you should have used a primer undercoat.
    While it may look ok now you will find that with the slightest knocks it will lift and chip away easily from the old paintwork.
    you should also get some Owltrol oil to prep the old paintwork save yourself a lot of Sanding. you can also add it to primer coat and it makes the paint very easy to spread.

i also agree that Water based paint does not get as high a gloss as Oil based, but I think it probably will hold the colour especially White for longer.

Don't you mean esp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Don't you mean esp?

You're right Irelandspurs, it's ESP for the prep work and Owtrol oil to add to primer coat. I think they are both made by the same company Owtrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thanks guys
    dodzy wrote: »

Thanks dodzy.
    I have read that the new oil based paints arent as good as they used to be though due to certain chemicals being removed to lower the voc content ?

It actually seems to be very tough ,I tried scratching it and banging a few things off it but its very solid .

I'm disappointed to hear that the water based paint is so poor ,I half guessed it wouldnt be as good as the oil based.
    Think I'll have to leave the rest of the work until next summer when its a bit warmer and can open windows,that oil gloss is rank.

sky6 wrote: »

Yeah it seems to come off in places if I scratch it with a bit of pressure with my nail .:(
    What should I do to remedy this ,repaint everything with an oil based undercoat and gloss or would I get away with 2 coats of oil based satinwood ?

I tried sanding it down and putting bin primer on in a few spots but that doesnt even seem to be sticking either .
    I think I will have to get the electric sander out as rubbing it by hand isnt good enough I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

Fleetwood do a primer undercoat and it seems to be pretty good. Seem samples of it compared with Bin primer on glass and it was stuck on there. It is also water based.
    You could put a coat of it on and them your satinwood on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Zardoz wrote: »
    Yeah it seems to come off in places if I scratch it with a bit of pressure with my nail .:(
    What should I do to remedy this ,repaint everything with an oil based undercoat and gloss or would I get away with 2 coats of oil based satinwood ?

I tried sanding it down and putting bin primer on in a few spots but that doesnt even seem to be sticking either .
    I think I will have to get the electric sander out as rubbing it by hand isnt good enough I reckon.

You will need to get all the paint that you have put on, Off.
    Because when you are painting water based /acrylic over oil based paints ,then you need a bridging /adhesion primer. I would use zinsser bullseye 123 or coverstain after rubbing down then 2 coats of the satin water based.
    Water based paints have come on massively in the last few year they just take a little bit of getting used to.

You will need to get all the paint that you have put on, Off.
    Because when you are painting water based /acrylic over oil based paints ,then you need a bridging /adhesion primer. I would use zinsser bullseye 123 or coverstain after rubbing down then 2 coats of the satin water based.

Damn it ,thats alot more work .
    Skirting boards with carpet are tricky to paint as it is .frown.png

I actually did 2 rooms with the satinwood over the old oil gloss and one room is actually fine,the paint is sticking well .
    I had sanded it down lightly before hand but it seems to be sticking well .

The other room it comes off if you scrape it with a nail ,especially under the window sill.
    I have sanded as much old paint off in this area as possible ,it just peeled off ,I am wondering if there could be a slight dampness issue here thats making it worse.
    Water based paints have come on massively in the last few year they just take a little bit of getting used to.

Whats the water based gloss like ?
    I must say the satinwood finish is too dull for my liking ,I like a smooth finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

So fleetwood primer then satinwood on top seems to be the best option?

Advertisement