Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's largest land bridge?

• 18-08-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I was on the new relief road in Mullingar which i read in a local paper has Irelands longest bridge. Would they mean land bridge or would it matter, a span is a span kind of thinking regardless of what it traverses or how high the land underneath comes up. Just curiosity.

Ps I think they are calling it after Joe Dolan.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

time lord wrote: »
    I was on the new relief road in Mullingar which i read in a local paper has Irelands longest bridge. Would they mean land bridge or would it matter, a span is a span kind of thinking regardless of what it traverses or how high the land underneath comes up. Just curiosity.

I thought that honour went to the new Foyle Bridge in Derry/Londonderry?

c4518_the_foyle_bridge.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its not new, been there 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I thought that honour went to the new Foyle Bridge in Derry/Londonderry?

c4518_the_foyle_bridge.jpg
    I'll dig out quote tomorrow if the paper it was in is still about. 20 spans 540m long I think..

lg-share-en.gif button1-email.gif
    Nation’s longest bridge to be named after Joe

Mullingar Advertiser, July 30, 2010.
    29242_thumb.jpg The Joe Dolan Memorial Bridge at Clonmore.

By Finian Coghlan
    The longest bridge in Ireland, the 540m completion section of the €40m Mullingar orbital road, is to be called the Joe Dolan Memorial Bridge, it was revealed at this week’s council meeting.
    “This was discussed with the family and they’re very happy their brother Joe could be remembered like this,” cathaoirleach Mick Dollard told the meeting.
    The final part of the C-Link road - which was begun nearly 13 years ago - extends from Clonmore Business Park to the Lynn Road roundabout and will be officially opened by Minister of Transport, Noel Dempsey TD, on September 6 at 12.30pm.
    This 780m stretch of road consists of a two-lane carriageway and with the raised section of 540m over marshy ground, including over the Brosna and Lacy’s canal, the council believes this to be the longest bridge in Ireland.
    By comparison, the recently built cable stay bridge over the Boyne on the M1 motorway is just 370m long, but has the single biggest span in the country at 170m. Work on the site began in March 2009 and of the €40m cost of the closing link, the bridge itself cost €12m.
    The bridge crosses the flood plain of the river Brosna as well as Lacy’s canal. There will be 3.1m (10ft) of clearance over the canal to allow for boat passage. The ground conditions, which consist of 10m of peat over 20m of very soft silt, mean that constructing the bridge was a “considerable engineering challenge”, according to county manager, Danny McLoughlin.
    Naas firm, Messrs Jons Civil Engineering Co Ltd, were responsible for the final design and construction, and this last stretch included piling, abutment work, approach embankments, and all the required tie-ins with the old N52 at the southern end and the C-Link at the northern end.

Found the article..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

That's the first I've heard of this Mullingar orbital road. What's the route number?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not in this forum you don't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Furet wrote: »
    That's the first I've heard of this Mullingar orbital road. What's the route number?

It seems to be made up of a number of R Routes - see the Westmeath County Council map here and a map which suggests it includes the R400 and part of the R394.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

lg-share-en.gif button1-email.gif
    Nation’s longest bridge to be named after Joe

Mullingar Advertiser, July 30, 2010.
    29242_thumb.jpg The Joe Dolan Memorial Bridge at Clonmore.

By Finian Coghlan
    The longest bridge in Ireland, the 540m completion section of the €40m Mullingar orbital road, is to be called the Joe Dolan Memorial Bridge, it was revealed at this week’s council meeting.
    “This was discussed with the family and they’re very happy their brother Joe could be remembered like this,” cathaoirleach Mick Dollard told the meeting.
    The final part of the C-Link road - which was begun nearly 13 years ago - extends from Clonmore Business Park to the Lynn Road roundabout and will be officially opened by Minister of Transport, Noel Dempsey TD, on September 6 at 12.30pm.
    This 780m stretch of road consists of a two-lane carriageway and with the raised section of 540m over marshy ground, including over the Brosna and Lacy’s canal, the council believes this to be the longest bridge in Ireland.
    By comparison, the recently built cable stay bridge over the Boyne on the M1 motorway is just 370m long, but has the single biggest span in the country at 170m. Work on the site began in March 2009 and of the €40m cost of the closing link, the bridge itself cost €12m.
    The bridge crosses the flood plain of the river Brosna as well as Lacy’s canal. There will be 3.1m (10ft) of clearance over the canal to allow for boat passage. The ground conditions, which consist of 10m of peat over 20m of very soft silt, mean that constructing the bridge was a “considerable engineering challenge”, according to county manager, Danny McLoughlin.
    Naas firm, Messrs Jons Civil Engineering Co Ltd, were responsible for the final design and construction, and this last stretch included piling, abutment work, approach embankments, and all the required tie-ins with the old N52 at the southern end and the C-Link at the northern end.

Found the article..

Don't think so! The Waterford bypass bridge is longer than the Boyne one, it's 230m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suir_Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Longest, probably. In any way imaginative or worth celebrating? Definitely not.

It's not as bad as the Westlink mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How about nominations for Ireland's most beautiful bridge or is that for another thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Could slap up another thread, there's a lot more candidates for "most beautiful" than longest I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Alhthough its a Rail Bridge isnt the longest bridge in the Republic the Barrow rail bridge which is about 650/680m long ? (Individual Spans are about 45m)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Will the New Ross bridge be the longest if it gets built?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Will the New Ross bridge be the longest if it gets built?

Yes end to end nearly 1k in length, also longest span will just top the River Suir Bridge at the moment which is 230m..........bridge engineers alway talk in longest spans as opposed to end to end (abutment to abutment) lengths when rating bridges' lengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Would you count the stretch floating on the Bog of Dromin and bog of Annaholty as a bridge?

limklad wrote: »
    Would you count the stretch floating on the Bog of Dromin and bog of Annaholty as a bridge?
    Can't help you there. I would know very little about bridges bar manys the Bailey bridge I helped build. Maybe someone else can answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

richardjjd wrote: »
    It seems to be made up of a number of R Routes - see the Westmeath County Council map here and a map which suggests it includes the R400 and part of the R394.

Bit of a bump - but bridge was only recently officially opened.

Co Co mentions the "R394 CLONMORE LINK ROAD"

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie//en/servicesa-z/transportation/eu-ndpfundedprojects/index.html

So does this mean that the R394 now continues straight through the roundabout near the hospital to connect to the new bridge?

Advertisement