Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MBPr Overheating when using Flash

Options
  • 05-10-2014 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Has anybody experienced issues with this? It seems to be a massive problem on my machine, cant watch rte player or any online videos without the machine heating up to a very high temp so i just dont bother anymore to avoid damaging the machine.

I downloaded mac fans control but not sure about damaging the machine by using this.

Has anybody been able to watch flash without these issues or is there an alternative.

I have seen similar problems in mac forums and the outcomes are pretty inconclusive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Flash has sometimes been an issue with overheating in the Macbook Pro. Have you opened the Activity Monitor to see how much CPU is being used exactly? This is an interesting article on causes and solution for overheating.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Are you running flash in Safari? I've elected not to install flash player directly and use Chrome as my backup 'flash browser' when I need to use it as it comes with a version baked in.

Flash, and it's ugly cousin Silverlight are dying out, MS have completely abandoned Silverlight and Adobe has all but given up on a future for Flash. With Netflix lobbying for DRM in html5 which, you can currently use in chrome and is coming in the new Safari in Yosemite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Has anybody experienced issues with this?

Everybody with a portable Mac running OS X has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Yes, flash player makes the machine uncomfortably hot ...However MacBooks have thermal sensors which shut down the computer before they get to the point of causing damage.

BTW I live in a tropical country and do not use AirCon and have not had any problems for the past 6 years on 2 different machines, macbook pro and imac.

Every so often I need to run sudo purge from terminal to reset the ram and CPU witch fails to get released by flash player even after closing it. I only restart my computer every few weeks.

Just don't sit the thing near your testicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

Thank you so much for the replies all, ye are confirming what I have read elsewhere so. Well as long as it shuts itself off before damaging itself that's perfect. I am using chrome as my browser btw and have been using Mac fans control the past week and limiting the temp to 75 degrees as a test, the fans kick in once that temp is reached and they sometimes rotate up to 6000rpm, is that anything to be concerned about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

75C isn't too hot when the CPU is maxed out. I only see these soft of temperatures with 3Drendering.
    The RPM is fine, most fans spin up to those kind of speeds.

What sites are you using that require flash other than the RTE player?
    Here is a screen shot from Chrome (Version 39.0.2171.13 beta (64-bit)) using its baked in version of Flash (Version: 15.0.0.189):
    324927.png

This is running the latest episode of Love/Hate for about 10 minutes.

For reference here are results from running an intensive CPU and a GPU render in Blender.
    My fully maxed out i7-4870HQ runs at about 50C at 6000RPM with the GPU silicon taking some of that thermal load due to the shared heat pipe.
    Under GPU rendering the 750m hits 71C while the CPU heatsink is now dissipating most of that thermal load to ambient.

I believe Flash can use the GPU to render. You may see different results when using an Iris Pro only machine. I'm also assuming that the iStats widget is giving me accurate data, however the machine never got uncomfortably hot, however at 6000RPM the fan acoustic noise was pretty noticeable if broadband in tone.

Advertisement