Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Castlebrand Cookware

Options
  • 27-09-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone remembers Castlebrand Cookware from Nenagh who went but a couple of years ago? They used to advertsise heavily on RTE radio back in the 60s and 70s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

Hi

I did flag up Castlebrand Cookware a couple of weeks back and wonder if anyone remembers them being used in the home. The brand was the biggest selling cookware brand in Ireland in the days when we would buy such things in Woolworths.

Castlebrand went into receivership a couple of years back, finding it difficult to stave off the international competition in the Irish market post accession to the EU.

Any memories?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

I do remember that some of the pots & pans at home were Castle Brand - they had a castle logo stamped on the bottom and lasted for years (wouldn't surprise me if I found some still in use at home, even if only for storing stuff in the shed!). No stories though, Scribbler!

Its interesting, I found some of them being traded on EBay! Were they mint or used I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ah yes, Castlebrand Cookware. I did a university project on them as I recall.

Briany it was sad to see the brand finally disappear a year or two back because it had been so much a part of everyday life through the 50s & 60s and beyond but tariff walls couldn't keep the international brands out forever. In its early days the aluminium cookware was pretty basic but it was treasured as a local brand. Indeed I remember the sponsored radio programme they had on Radio Eireann for many years. It had visibility like Jacobs, Fruitfield, Kennedys and many other local brands.

What was your university project about, mind my asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Briany it was sad to see the brand finally disappear a year or two back because it had been so much a part of everyday life through the 50s & 60s and beyond but tariff walls couldn't keep the international brands out forever. In its early days the aluminium cookware was pretty basic but it was treasured as a local brand. Indeed I remember the sponsored radio programme they had on Radio Eireann for many years. It had visibility like Jacobs, Fruitfield, Kennedys and many other local brands.

What was your university project about, mind my asking?

Hmmmm well this was about 2005 and it was only a page or two write up but as I recall it was about the business operation/marketing strategies of that company.

We used to have a 'porrindger' from Castle Brand as a kid. This was a two tier saucepan, the bottom had water in it and the top the porridge. the idea was that when applied to a gas flame the boiling water did not burn the porridge. Well it did if you ran out of boiled water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Hi

I did flag up Castlebrand Cookware a couple of weeks back and wonder if anyone remembers them being used in the home. The brand was the biggest selling cookware brand in Ireland in the days when we would buy such things in Woolworths.

Castlebrand went into receivership a couple of years back, finding it difficult to stave off the international competition in the Irish market post accession to the EU.

Any memories?

Dunno if this is true or not but a friend of mine from in or around Nenagh told me years ago that if you brought in scrap aluminium kettles, colliners and saucepans to Castle Brand you could trade for a new kettle or saucepan. I was asking him at the time about going in to the factory to buy the very large saucepan for boiling a ham at Christmas and he reckoned a couple of stone of aluminium might get one of the very large saucepans.

He could have been pulling my leg of course. Actually a couple of weeks ago I saw a large quantity of new 'Castle Brand' cookware mostly kettles and frying pans for sale in Clara Market. There were a bit pricey though.

Actually there may be a ring of truth in what your friend says although I rather discount the ratio of one new for one old! During the war years bauxite, the mineral ore that yields aluminium was in very short supply because it was in major use in the manufacture of aircraft. It was commonplace for smelters in Ireland as elsewhere to engage in significant recycling. This I am sure that some form of discount might have applied to the purchase of a new saucepan on surrendering an old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

No it wasn't a one for one, if you brought in two fertilizer bags of aluminium kettles and saucepans you might get one new one. Maybe it was true after all:D

• Advertisement

This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone happens to have a copy of the company logo anywhere in an attic, a brochure maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

just trying to buy a set there very good quality pity there gone

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Immaculata

My local hardware store has a few of their kettles in stock. I must invest before they're all gone, if the company's gone out of business.

Immaculata wrote: »
    My local hardware store has a few of their kettles in stock. I must invest before they're all gone, if the company's gone out of business.

if they have any saucepan sets let me no cheers

daithi55 wrote: »
    if they have any saucepan sets let me no cheers

Will do. :)

why didn ya just give a link?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Hi
    Only went looking for a new castle brand kettle last week to hear they out of business, sooo disappointed they were brilliant quality kettles!!
    I'm just wondering would anyone here know where I would get a new castle brand kettle in ireland.... I'm hoping someone may have one left on a shelf in a shop, or a few in stock somewhere...I want the light one about 2ltr...

My mam can't lift the available heavy stainless steel kettles when they are full and the aluminium ones are poor quality in comparison to the castle brand.

Any help really appreciated....

artieanna wrote: »
    Hi
    Only went looking for a new castle brand kettle last week to hear they out of business, sooo disappointed they were brilliant quality kettles!!
    I'm just wondering would anyone here know where I would get a new castle brand kettle in ireland.... I'm hoping someone may have one left on a shelf in a shop, or a few in stock somewhere...I want the light one about 2ltr...

My mam can't lift the available heavy stainless steel kettles when they are full and the aluminium ones are poor quality in comparison to the castle brand.

Any help really appreciated....

Give Paddy Bissett a ring on 01 8450944. His hardware shop is where I got mine. He might have some left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I know it well, I was friend with the owners son.

Used to race around the factory on bikes and get roared at by the foreman.

The roof was lead or some sort of metal, I don't know which. But it was like an oven in the summer, staff used to work 6am to 2pm as the heat was oppressive

There was a showroom at the front and they'd sell seconds cheap, just tiny flaws in them.

There was also a display case that shows the original documents signed when the company was setup, they were decades old

Yeah the place is bust now. The products were expensive but quality.
    But it's hard to compete with cheap imports and it all came to an end. Gave employment in Nenagh for decades

I tried to get a summer job and with my connections I thought I'd be sorted but union only wanted family of staff to get the summer jobs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 potsnpans

Hey everybody, just stumbled on this forum. Got a wedding present 0f three pots (Castle Brand) in 1970. Glad to say, all three are still going strong and, before you say it - not being used as laying nests for the hens lol. Still cooking spuds,porridge, stews, etc. and in use virtually every day. Now who can match that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pete de Ceuilleur

Hi, I have 3 Castle Brand Pots (1.5l, 2l and 3l,) a pan with lid and a kettle from Castle Brand that I want to sell as I'm moving house. They are all made of copper with brass handles and maybe nickel lining. I won them in a quiz in '95 and have never used them, although I unboxed them and placed them on top of a Dresser. They were worth 500 punts at the time and are in excellent condition.
    I know zero about cooking, although they appear to be top notch.

Anyway, my question is: how much would I get for them? Any response from chefs and/or ornament fans would be appreciated. Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Noticed during the week that the hardware shop on the main street in Bray (its beside Hiltons chemist but I can't remember the name) has a stack of Castlebrand boxes in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ozbourne

I was wondering does anyone know did Castle Brand only make pots out of aluminium. We have been using a pot for 10 years given to us second hand from a relation and we always assumed it was stainless steel as it looks it and is heavy like it. On the base it has the Castle Brand logo and 5L D95 marked on it. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irene.

I would love to gather a few of these copper pots and kettle. Does anyone have pieces they can part with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Grovesa

Hi, am clearing out my late Mum's house and she has a great set of Castle Brand saucepans, frying pans, a double saucepan etc.... they are such great quality. Please advise if you want further info - I have the accompanying leaflet and a vintage doll's pram, also from Castle Brand - reckon they were the Le Creuset of their time! I am looking at the logo on one saucepan now and it says 'Pure Aluminium Ware Made in Nenagh Eire'

Grovesa wrote: »
    Hi, am clearing out my late Mum's house and she has a great set of Castle Brand saucepans, frying pans, a double saucepan etc.... they are such great quality. Please advise if you want further info - I have the accompanying leaflet and a vintage doll's pram, also from Castle Brand - reckon they were the Le Creuset of their time! I am looking at the logo on one saucepan now and it says 'Pure Aluminium Ware Made in Nenagh Eire'

where are you living

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irene.

Hello Grovesa,
    First of all, I am sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. I hope she didn't suffer. Secondly, I have been in the market for some Castle cookware and was wondering what size pots and pans you have. And lastly, I am of Irish descent, all four grandparents came from Ireland, but I was born in the US. Would you consider selling to someone across the pond?

I do look forward to hearing from you. Take good care of yourself.

Sincerely
    Irene

living in Kerry but regularly commuting between Dingle/Limerick and Dublin this days

Irene. wrote: »
    Hello Grovesa,
    First of all, I am sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. I hope she didn't suffer. Secondly, I have been in the market for some Castle cookware and was wondering what size pots and pans you have. And lastly, I am of Irish descent, all four grandparents came from Ireland, but I was born in the US. Would you consider selling to someone across the pond?

I do look forward to hearing from you. Take good care of yourself.

Sincerely
    Irene

Hi Irene

I just wrote you a long message but managed to delete it and I had even taken measurements of all the saucepans for you, grrr...!! Thank you for your kind words. My Mum was a special lady who lived to a great age and really looked after her things which is why I'm being particularly mindful about how I match them up with the right owner on their journey! I would considering selling to the States but it could be expensive on you as the saucepans are all very solid (ie heavy!).... If you are on FaceBook you may send me a friend request (Alison Groves)- I have set up a closed group called My Vintage Space where I will enclose photos of the 7 saucepans.. am new to boards.ie so not sure if there's a way to post photos or not

Saucepan 1: 12" base diameter - 2 handles with lid - excellent condition - only used at Christmas time for boiling the ham
    Saucepan 2: 9" base diameter - 2 handles with lid - excellent condition
    Saucepan 3: 7" base diameter - 2 handles with lid - v good condition
    Saucepan 4: 7" base diameter - 1 handle with lid - good condition -v regularly used
    Saucepan 5: 6.25" base diameter - 1 handle with lid - good condition - v regularly used
    Saucepan 6: 6.25" base diameter - 1 handle with lid (knob broken off lid) - good condition - v regularly used
    Saucepan 7: 6" base diameter - double saucepan with 2 lids and each saucepan with a handle - good condition - used for scrambling eggs, melting chocolate, making porridge

Let me know if you need any more info! They were the creme de la creme of saucepans in their day, clearly to have lasted nearly 60 years so far and there's plenty of life left in them!

Best wishes,

Alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ColmMcD

Found this thread relating to Castle Brand copper pots.
    My Father in law was in the restaurant business for many years and has a collection of 20 of these pots of various shapes and sizes(all unused), some in original boxes, some have been used on display so need a bit of cleaning but all in excellent condition. He will be moving to a smaller house and is looking to sell these, thought I'd post here in case any collectors are interested before posting on adverts.
    PMs welcome if you know of anybody interested or would like to see some pics.

Advertisement