Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer liver photos-white stains???

• 20-10-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Lads got the stag this morning-nice healthy looking animal. After taking out the insides noticed something unusual on liver (see pictures).Didn't seet that so far on any I shot , so thought I'll throw the pictures up here to see what you think. Could it be the start of something bad that white part of liver? Also I think the colour of the liver was a bit yellowish, at least it looked like that, no really other liver to compare...Thanks for your opinion

dsc0741y.jpg

dsc0755pm.jpg

dsc0747g.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Looks like a cancer tumor.
    Check to see if there are any very thin,look like white string in the fresh cut or flat white yokes,They are either liver flukes or liver worms
    Unless you are going to use the liver for food, I wouldnt worry too much about it.If you are ,cut well back from the damaged spots and cook it well thru .. That will kill off any nasties.

Congrats on the stag BTW.Was out myself this AM,with nothing to show for it.:rolleyes::P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Thanks Grizz, not going to eat the liver thats for sure, just worried about the rest of meat.
    The stag was really nice. I'll put up the pictures in Photos thread in a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

looks like liver fluke to me also. the meet will be fine to eat just bin the liver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

zlezlius wrote: »
    Lads got the stag this morning-nice healthy looking animal. After taking out the insides noticed something unusual on liver (see pictures).Didn't seet that so far on any I shot , so thought I'll throw the pictures up here to see what you think. Could it be the start of something bad that white part of liver? Also I think the colour of the liver was a bit yellowish, at least it looked like that, no really other liver to compare...Thanks for your opinion

In the balance between the old sayings "waste not, want not" and when in doubt throw it out, I defer to the later.

If you are any way unsure, throw it out, unless an expert says otherwise.

Here's a link, scroll down to my post and there's a few links you may find handy.

Another link, maybe the one you need, if not, nonetheless a great read/view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

FISMA wrote: »

In the balance between the old sayings "waste not, want not" and when in doubt throw it out, I defer to the later.

If you are any way unsure, throw it out, unless an expert says otherwise.

Here's a link, scroll down to my post and there's a few links you may find handy.

Another link, maybe the one you need, if not, nonetheless a great read/view.

Liver fluke ! Can believe ya didn dose that stag befor shooting . Poor management

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

looks like liver fluke to me mate

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Sika98k

TriggerPL wrote: »
    Liver fluke ! Can believe ya didn dose that stag befor shooting . Poor management

Funny post !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

TriggerPL wrote: »

I disagree.
    It is up to farmers to dose Deer for fluke.
    Also, good drainage helps keep fluke away...

Poor form on the farmer's part ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭German pointer

What county did you shoot him in? The reason I ask is that I got a doe late last season in North Tipp with the same problem.:mad:

What county did you shoot him in? The reason I ask is that I got a doe late last season in North Tipp with the same problem.:mad:
    Co Offaly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

zlezlius wrote: »
    Thanks Grizz, not going to eat the liver thats for sure, just worried about the rest of meat.
    The stag was really nice. I'll put up the pictures in Photos thread in a minute
    a lot of deer have liver fluke , wouldnt advise eating it anyway

a lot of deer have liver fluke , wouldnt advise eating it anyway
    You wouldn't advice eating liver or the rest of the meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A good spell in a proper freezer for the non offal meat of the carcass will do the trick if you're in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 greengrasscork

Saw the same thing in a sika buck I shot last month he was in bad condition and liver was same as pic posted had a friend get the liver and lungs tested just to see was it anything other than fluke but came back as fluke.

Advertisement