Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Laws of Ireland

• 09-01-2009 7:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

It is illegal for a student to walk through Trinity College without a sword.

In Trinity college students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they are wearing their sword.

It is illegal to smoke any form of tobacco on Grafton St. in Dublin

Surely the first 2 are made up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

the trinners ones arent irish laws, only arcane college rules from back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Holders of the freedom of Dublin have the right to pasture sheep on common ground within the city boundaries. This includes College Green and St Stephen's Green. (this right was exercised as a publicity stunt by Bono when he brought sheep in to St. Stephens Green).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Berty wrote: »
    Holders of the freedom of Dublin have the right to pasture sheep on common ground within the city boundaries. This includes College Green and St Stephen's Green. (this right was exercised as a publicity stunt by Bono when he brought sheep in to St. Stephens Green).

Awaa that was nice. He gave them a day out - before they got the chop.
    Hang on...They are me chops! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

Berty wrote: »

think he technically broke the law as you're supposed to pasture your own sheep but he borrowed some

also - not allowed smoke tobacco on grafton street? - that'd be quite ironic given that all 3 of the main tobacconists in dublin are on grafton street!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

IvaBigWun wrote: »

In Trinity college students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they are wearing their sword.

None of these are true. Certainly the first two are not.

Edit: technically TCD students are supposed to adhere to a dress code (academic dress) and even "doff their cap" to many lecturers, but obviously these antiquated rules are overlooked. The rules you state just don't exist, though.

Ponster wrote: »
    Any person who shall pretend or exercise to use any type of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment, or pretend knowledge in any occult or or craft or science shall for any such offense suffer imprisonment at the time of one whole year and also shall be obliged to obscursion for his/her good behavior.

O' crap - those bewitching folk in the Dail then are in serious trouble. Someone tell them quick to stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You must hold a TV licence for any device capable of receiving TV signals even if you don't use it or it's broken or you just watch dvds on it.

You can drive around on public roads without ever proving your competency at driving.

javaboy wrote: »
    You can drive around on public roads without ever proving your competency at driving.

That I DO believe. Its explains many a TD's driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Tippling Act 1735 prohibits a publican from pursuing a customer for money owed for any drink given on credit.
    The law was aimed at stopping landlords demanding ale money owed to them by servants who resorted to robbing their masters to pay their debts.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    ...The law was aimed at stopping landlords demanding ale money owed to them by servants who resorted to robbing their masters to pay their debts.

Aaa whaa!

O' hang on. Tell the people on that site to go buy a comma or two...
    (I know its not your fault)

The law was aimed at stopping landlords demanding ale money, owed to them by servants who resorted to robbing their masters to pay their debts.

Its weird world we share. Funny mad place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You must hold a TV licence for any device capable of receiving TV signals even if you don't use it or it's broken or you just watch dvds on it.

But any conductor of electricity 'receives' TV signals:confused:

Sean_K wrote: »
    But any conductor of electricity 'receives' TV signals:confused:

...true but also must have the ability to decode them too.
    (sorry - I'm being sensible for a second - I won't do it again!)

:D

Biggins wrote: »
    ...true but also must have the ability to decode them too.
    (sorry - I'm being sensible for a second - I won't do it again!)

:D

phew, just as I was about to get a license for my cutlery.

Sean_K wrote: »
    phew, just as I was about to get a license for my cutlery.

I tried that. Played havoc with my dvd player when I inserted them.
    (O' cool. I'm back to my normal situation...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

you can take a piss or drop a dreadnought on the road as long as its at the back left of a carriage (taxi, car ect...)

One of the odder ones it that it's illegal to be drunk in a pub (or indeed any public place).

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Surely the first 2 are made up?

The second one is definately true. I thought it was a glass of port though.

You can shoot someone and kill them from the top of the campinile in Trinity on a particular day of the year and not be charged with murder.

...You can shoot someone and kill them from the top of the campinile in Trinity on a particular day of the year and not be charged with murder.

Ooo my mother-in-law is dying (or soon will be!) to know what day that is? Do tell!
    I will love you long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Sorry don't know!:D They don't tend to publicise the date for some reason!

• Advertisement

Sorry don't know!:D They don't tend to publicise the date for some reason!

I wonder why! :(

You can shoot someone and kill them from the top of the campinile in Trinity on a particular day of the year and not be charged with murder.

these things are definitely true but you think they're different???

they've fairly done the rounds

i heard it was guinness because it used to come in a dehydrated form (there's also the story of the guy who refused to sit his exam without his guinness/port/wine and was really smug until he was suspended for not wearing his sword at the time)

and i believe the story goes that protestants may shoot catholics from the towers in front arch without any repercussions

That one about killing someone from the Campanile has various forms:

* You can kill the Provost form the Campanile
    * You can kill Catholics from the Campanile
    * You can shoot Catholics with a cross-bow from the Campanile
    * The Provost is allowed kill Catholics from the Campanile

Lots of forms.

Back to the original post, I always thought the ban on music during drink-up time in pubs is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

figs86 wrote: »
    and i believe the story goes that protestants may shoot catholics from the towers in front arch without any repercussions
    Catholic priests, and it's pure TCD folklore.

Catholic priests, and it's pure TCD folklore.

obviously....but anyone who didnt cop that....well god bless'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 hashbones

well it would depend on whats broken wether it can recieve tv signals and decode them or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The legend is that it's a glass of port, and I believe it was supposedly only for Scholars, but I've been informed by reliable sources that such a rule probably never existed and certainly doesn't exist nowadays. It is not "definitely true".

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Defamation Act 2009, Section 36 - 36.— (1) A person who publishes or utters blasphemous matter shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable upon conviction on indictment to a fine not exceeding €25,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It's not true, it's a copy of a similar legend told about Oxford/Cambridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ Ford Fit Mall

One of the odder ones it that it's illegal to be drunk in a pub (or indeed any public place).

No it's not?
    Dónal wrote: »

Back to the original post, I always thought the ban on music during drink-up time in pubs is strange.
    Never heard of this ban either. I work in pubs - generally I've always thought the music goes off to get rid of people faster. Lose the atmosphere and people might want to go home... that kind of thing.

Advertisement