Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Check out hotwire.com for great deals too.
    Not sure this link will work but £263 for a five star in the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Many thanks, I will look into these. Actually, should point out, my main reason for going to London is to attend an all day event on the Saturday at Tobacco Dock. I considered a hotel closer to that(Indigo Hotel Tower Hill), but thought somewhere closer to the touristy/shopping area would be better off.

Where's Tobacco Dock?

just checked myself, yeah both the ones I suggested would be a bit of a stroll, though Apex Temple Court isn't too far away. You could also visit the Borough Market (a 10/15 minute stroll) which is worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Where's Tobacco Dock?

http://tobaccodocklondon.com/ , not really sure what you would call the area, Wapping/Shadwell?

http://tobaccodocklondon.com/ , not really sure what you would call the area, Wapping/Shadwell?

VII was my favourite one ;)

• Advertisement

Also should point out that if you're going to stay in the city or near there, try flying into London City Airport - it'll make the journey WAY more pleasurable!

Too late, I've already booked the flight to Gatwick. Don't mind, I'm a bit of a train buff anyway so would find the Gatwick Express interesting(having traveled the Brighton route up to Victoria plenty of times in Train Simuator..)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It would generally be referred to as St Katherine's Dock as a subset of Wapping. Hotels immediately around there include Guoman Tower (ex Tower Thistle), The Grange, Hilton London Bridge, Premier Inn Tower Bridge Road, the Shangri-La at The Shard.

You can guess I'm a bit if a local. Hotels in EC postcodes abutting this area will generally be very cheap at weekends as they are designed for weekday city business.

OP; unless you have particular shopping in mind, I would stay close to this venue. Lots of historical/sightseeing places around. Lots of restaurants on TBR and Bermondsey St as well as more chain offerings along the river.

The draft house is a fine pub (as is the Dean Swift). Borough and Maltby St food markets are close by (although I hate that the former has become a tourist venue).

A hotel near High St Ken would be unnecessarily awkward given your plans.

Too late, I've already booked the flight to Gatwick. Don't mind, I'm a bit of a train buff anyway so would find the Gatwick Express interesting(having traveled the Brighton route up to Victoria plenty of times in Train Simuator..)

An easier and perhaps more historic route would be Gatwick to London Bridge. If you're a true spotter, get out your Platform 5 and stay on the FCC train to St Pancras before reversing back to London Bridge. High St Ken would be a silly location with your travel plans.

Thanks for that post, I was leaning towards Guoman myself to be honest, will most likely just book there and be done with it :) Looked around and I can get the two nights for €283,72, seems quite reasonable to me. Thanks all for the advice and insight!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Hi , OH and I going to London for weekend Aug 15-18th, staying in Grange City Hotel, wish to visit Tower, Dungeons, West End show. natural museum of history and Madame Taussauds.
    could any of you advise me on The Shard and eating lunch there...is it a remarkable experience or best to avoid? Also whats the best option for shows regarding tickets and tube back to Tower Hill station late at night. Is it possible or is a taxi our only option, is the area fairly safe?
    lots of questions! I would appreciate any advice please!

Hi , OH and I going to London for weekend Aug 15-18th, staying in Grange City Hotel, wish to visit Tower, Dungeons, West End show. natural museum of history and Madame Taussauds.
    could any of you advise me on The Shard and eating lunch there...is it a remarkable experience or best to avoid? Also whats the best option for shows regarding tickets and tube back to Tower Hill station late at night. Is it possible or is a taxi our only option, is the area fairly safe?
    lots of questions! I would appreciate any advice please!

The Tower is very close to your hotel, maybe a 5 minute was. The Dungeons are now in County Hall by the London Eye and Merlin Group runs the dungeons, the eye and Tussauds for which you can get a combined ticket.

Tower Hill is fine at night, you won't even find many rough sleepers around.

As regards The Shard, I've lived and worked in London for nearly 20 years initially in the building which was knocked down to build theShard. I've worked in 44 storey buildings, was at the opening night party at TheGherkin (and back many times to the private bar and restaurant up there - very different as it all has a glass roof like a conservatory) but I still think it's worth eating or having a drink at theShard.

My favourite us Hutong, especially for the dim sum menu although you could have a drink at Aqua bar (3 storey atrium in the bar) and (almost) pee against the glass wall in the loo. It's only 33 stories up (as opposed the overpriced visitor attraction on 78) but that's a great height to get a spectacular view of London's skyline - certainly different from what you'll get almost anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hi,

I've been looking at taking a small apartment in London for 3 nights next month for myself and the family. There are some lovely ones on Craigslist and are very cheap - £50 - £60 per night for a 2 bed in central London!!

Has anyone booked any of these before. It seems too cheap to be true. Some of the ones i've required have come back to me and seem genuine - not an automated response with mobile number included.

Advice??

Cheap Transfers by Easybus from £1 for August.

http://www.holidaypirates.com/others/cheap-airport-transfers-london-bus

Haven't used them myself and would usually get the train from Gatwick myself but thought it worth putting up for budget constrained and time-rich people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Folks,

Can anyone reccomend a place to eat in London for a group of 20? A good steakhouse will do. Can find loads online but would like a recommendation and some places don't really want to take a group on a Saturday night.

Any help very welcome

How much are you willing to pay and what are your preferred areas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

If you want steak go to one of the Gaucho restaurants....cant be beaten on quality. Can be pricey depending which one you go to

hi could anyone please advise me on whether to pre order /pay for tickets to the following
    madame toussauds
    tower of london
    the shard
    London dungeons

or should I wait until I am there to buy them?

hi could anyone please advise me on whether to pre order /pay for tickets to the following
    madame toussauds
    tower of london
    the shard
    London dungeons

or should I wait until I am there to buy them?

If you intend to travel in peak holiday season, you would be mad to rely on walk up ticket purchasing. Tussauds and The Tower particularly have enormous queues during school holiday times. Merlin, which operates Tussauds, the Dungeons, London Eye etc, do various combo tickets which you should also consider vis a vis saving money.

any advice please on Windsor.... we really want to visit just St Georges chapel .
    I see I would have to get the tube from Tower Hill (our hotel is here) to Paddington and then to Windsor.... 1.5hr. Is Windsor really worth going? Just want to visit Henry 8th tomb really.
    Also going to purchase London pass& travel if we go this option as train to WIndsor are included
    Any advice on Windsor please? Would it take a full day as we really want to spend 1/2 day on this option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

any advice please on Windsor.... we really want to visit just St Georges chapel .
    I see I would have to get the tube from Tower Hill (our hotel is here) to Paddington and then to Windsor.... 1.5hr. Is Windsor really worth going? Just want to visit Henry 8th tomb really.
    Also going to purchase London pass& travel if we go this option as train to WIndsor are included
    Any advice on Windsor please? Would it take a full day as we really want to spend 1/2 day on this option

Windsor is well worth a visit.

The castle will take anything from an hour to three hours to go around, depending on what you want to see. You can queue for ages to see the dolls house and then the state rooms, or just go straight to the state rooms, which is usually a shorter queue.

There will be no queue for St George's chapel.

Windsor is also good for shopping, a riverboat ride, mooching around the old streets/tourist trap or an open top bus tour. Eton is across the river and you can stroll over to the college, or the bus tour takes you there.

To get to Windsor, you can either go from Paddington and change at Slough, or there is a train from Waterloo which takes 55 mins. Both Windsor stations are in the heart of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 derm58

Hi all,
    Hoping to travel to London for 3-4 nights with the kids.

Flying in to Stansted and want to go to Warner Bros. Harry Potter World, Lego Windsor and see a few sights in London itself. Was thinking of hiring a car for the first 2 attractions and then busing/ Train into London for the rest.

Anyone done anything similar ?

Any tips, suggestions re. driving, parking, transport or must-see attractions etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

derm58.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

I would recommend taking them to a musical. There are a fair few that are child friendly. I've been to Shrek and Matilda myself and would recommend them.

Maybe head to Hyde park and hire out the pedal boats. I think there is a big playground in either Hyde Park or Kensington gardens. Remember playing there years ago as a kid and it was a pirate ship in sand. Might be gone now though.

Sights wise I would recommend the Tower of London or maybe the dungeons depending on their ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 derm58

Daisy03 wrote: »
    I would recommend taking them to a musical. There are a fair few that are child friendly. I've been to Shrek and Matilda myself and would recommend them.

Maybe head to Hyde park and hire out the pedal boats. I think there is a big playground in either Hyde Park or Kensington gardens. Remember playing there years ago as a kid and it was a pirate ship in sand. Might be gone now though.

Sights wise I would recommend the Tower of London or maybe the dungeons depending on their ages.

Thanks for the prompt reply Daisy03, dunno about the dungeons, might be a bit grisly for them. I've never been to the tower myself. Is it something similar or more historic? Any advice on staying on the outskirts of London and commuting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not sure the Tower would be a good idea for kids. OP, how old are your kids and what's the gender mix? HMS Belfast (near the Tower) would be a good option for boys but not too young, some steep steps to go down as you explore the bowels of the ship.

Again, for boys, the RAF Museum in Hendon (10 mins walk fom tube station Colindale on the Northern Line) is free admission and has a huge array of old planes on show.

London Zoo (Regents Park) would be worth checking out but as with the Tower, check the admission charges and make sure that you don't start too late in the day if you need a few hours to properly do the tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

You're welcome. Tower of London is very tame. More historic than anything else as far as I remember but it was very interesting. The tour was given by a Yeoman Warder in uniform which they might like.

The hop on-hop off bus might be an idea for them to see everything and then suss out what they like the best.

Sorry, no advice on commuting.

Advertisement