Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Allyall wrote: »
    Just a heads up.. (For all devices containing the RK3188).

Blacklist table so far - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiEEGGIzDDkPdDljbUVkSHNpZXpVbjN1UjAwM0UtNmc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Original Information from here - http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?9829-Blacklist-of-locked-Down-Version%B4s-of-RK3188-CPU

EDIT - It can get quite confusing, but best to check the list.

Tronsmart A928 - the one that I have got is not in the list. Is there any other way to verify if the chip is genuine or not other than taking the box apart which I am not going to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Tronsmart A928 - the one that I have got is not in the list. Is there any other way to verify if the chip is genuine or not other than taking the box apart which I am not going to do :)

Not yet, as far as I know, the only way is to open it.
    But, as I was writing that post, I was editing it quite a lot. Where I originally saw that information, was on cnx-software.com and I then googled it. I think somebody had taken apart their A928 and said it was the genuine chip. But it was a reply in a thread. Possibly Freaktab.

This is what the ungenuine chip looks like:
    zVjMpuR.jpg?1

In the pic its RK3188-T. Did you not say that the 'T' ones are the imitation chips.

So A928 may have genuine chips. That's good :)

In the pic its RK3188-T. Did you not say that the 'T' ones are the imitation chips.

So A928 may have genuine chips. That's good :)

Yep, The "T" Version are the lesser quality. They cause all sorts of problems apparently. Flickering/stuttering and are of lower quality in General.

Yep, I read that the A928 does have the Genuine chip, so that's good :) As do all Minix apparently.

This looks like it may be decent for €62 Delivered using EMS.
    It has Samsung Exynos 4412 Quad Core. But not available until 25th of Feb.. :(

EDIT. A link would be handy. :o

The Originally Named - NanoPC Box

interface.jpg
    CPU processor

Samsung Cortex-A9 Quad-core Exynos4412, 1.5GHz

Memory

RAM: 1GB DDR3 RAM, 32bit data bus
    Flash: 4GB eMMC Flash

NanoPC Box interface

HDMI output resolution: 1080P (1920x1080)
    One Audio Out in jack
    USB OTG: One MicroUSB interface
    USB Host: two USB Host 2.0 interface
    Ethernet: 100Mhz Ethernet, RJ45
    SD Card slot
    DC 5V/2A input
    Size: 100x60mm

I'm very tempted, but I hate waiting. It'd nearly be St. Patrick's Day by the time I'd get it.

• Advertisement

^^ Looks decent enough. Will it come pre installed with Android or anything or you will have to install it yourself.

^^ Looks decent enough. Will it come pre installed with Android or anything or you will have to install it yourself.

From what I'm reading it will come with installation disks.. :confused: I must be wrong.. :o

Software information here - http://armbest.com/NanoPC_Software.html

That will come on a DVD, so I presume you extract whichever you want onto an SD card or USB, and install it that way.

EDIT - I just followed a link from their site to CNX-Soft.

The ODROID U3 seems to blow it out of the water ($59). As does the CuBox i4 Pro (The Cubox is a lot more expensive though ($124).)

The ODROID has been mentioned before (I was going to buy the U2 Last year) a few times on boards.

I think I'm going to go for the ODROID, as I didn't last year, and reading the reviews on CNX, I probably should have. They also state that the cubox is good, but it's not worth the money, preferring the U3 for value and performance. I know they were speaking of the previous versions, but I'd say both new versions are similar again.

From the Cubox Review (Previous versions, but...)
    The CuBox Pro sells for $159 with a universal power supply (5V/2A DC Output, 2.1mm/5.5mm standard connector) and a 4GB microSD with Ubuntu pre-installed. If the original CuBox was sold at a relatively competitive price ($135) in 2011, $159 for this type of system in 2013 is not what I would call a bargain, although it could be an option if eSata and Gbe is a must for your application, as those are not available on most boards. If you just need 2GB RAM, go get yourself an ODROID-U2 ($89) instead. Nevertheless, if you are still interested by this system, you may pre-order the board on Solid-Run Cubox Pro page, and you should receive it later this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Yep, The "T" Version are the lesser quality. They cause all sorts of problems apparently. Flickering/stuttering and are of lower quality in General.

From earlier in the thread................;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

eamonnq wrote: »
    From earlier in the thread................;)

:P Yeah but first post says its not really a bad thing which was earlier in the thread:P

It is ordered anyway and on route so will just have to try it out when it arrives...no point crying now....as mentioned if it does what is says on the tin and I like it I will invest in better model......wish I hadn't backed out of buying the more expensive model now:(

• Advertisement

There's an EDIT just underneath where he says it's not really a bad thing ;)
    EDIT - The RK3188T is apparently an imitation chip.

It may work ok for your needs you never know. It's already in post so you will find it soon. These things are always a bit of hit and miss.

Yes, getting this as an after thought wasn't probably the right move since you cancelled the other one.

Big Nelly wrote: »

It mightn't really matter. The main reason most are upset is because they purchased what they were told at the time, was an RK3188.
    It is the reason that some models were reduced in price. They knew these were inferior chips that cannot be clocked.
    That said, It is not a huge problem, and most problems people have been experiencing can be fixed.

It just runs slightly lower than the RK3188. Some people are saying that theirs runs at 1.6 - 1.8GHz, but that is unlikely. The RK3188T will run max 1.4GHz on the official ROM.
    It's unlikely (For the moment) that you will be able to install Picuntu on it, which isn't a problem unles you had intended to.

If you flash a ROM, many people ae saying that is when the screen starts flickering, won't play 1080p and other problems start. So probably bst not to do that either, yet.

Also unlikely that it will be able to play some of the more powerful games.

It looks like most issues will be fixed very soon. The main problems seem to have been isolated including an update from RockChip themselves.
    There's a lot more to it, but unfortunately I'm in a rush out, I will try and post the update from RockChip later.

It mightn't really matter. The main reason most are upset is because they purchased what they were told at .......It's unlikely (For the moment) that you will be able to install Picuntu on it, which isn't a problem unles you had intended to.

If you flash a ROM, many people ae saying that is when the screen starts flickering, won't play 1080p and other problems start. So probably bst not to do that either, yet.

Also unlikely that it will be able to play some of the more powerful games.

Thanks for info, I don't even know what Picuntu is so no issue there about running it:p

Also not planning on playing games, just going to use for videos/movies etc and streaming......

Its my first move into xbmc so can use this more or less as a test box till I get it up and running and then will probably upgrade.....as mentioned I had the better box on order and cancelled it for this one so my own fault....

But then again I blame geekbuying, if they just had to ship when I ordered I would have left it, the 7 days cool off period was a pain:D doesnt work with my impluse buying

Box arrived today.....f**k been in work.....will post up a review once I get it up and running over weekend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I got my hands on a K10A which apparently has the 'bad' chip, set up XBMC and it works fine so would not be too worried about it to be honest.

Have not tried it out 'extensively' though but it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Has anyone used the Minix Neo X7? I'd like to pick up that or the Ouya for XMBC and Netflix however the Ouya doens't have analogue audio out, so I'm leaning towards the Minix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Is anyone else using the tronsmart a928 and have any feedback? Thinking of taking the plunge for one myself, is there roms or support available for them? Basically I just want it to mess around with xbmc :)

5500 wrote: »
    Is anyone else using the tronsmart a928 and have any feedback? Thinking of taking the plunge for one myself, is there roms or support available for them? Basically I just want it to mess around with xbmc :)

I have the A928.

See these posts:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88715844&postcount=166

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88716090&postcount=167

XBMC comes pre-installed on this.

T-R42 Quad Core Google Android 4.2.2 RK3188T 28nm Cortex-A9 1.4 GHz Mini TV BOX HDMI HDD Player 2G/8G Bluetooth/RJ45/External Wifi Antenna with IR Remote Controller-Black
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6-GHz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-BT-RJ45-External-Wifi-Antenna-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317424.html

Arrived yesterday, value according to VAT its worth 20 dollers. So no hit from geekbuying:)

What's in box: Device, full length HDMI cable, power adapter, EU plug, and remote

Remote is crap, just put in batteries but have a wireless mouse so just plug the USB adapter into side and used that. Picked it up straight away.

Box is small, tiny and is very light. Has big button on front to push and put into sleep mode which is handy, light is blue when on and red when in sleep mode so handy

Dont know how to run test on performance yet so will google and run post...

Nothing preloaded...so had to start from fresh but didnt take long

Streamed a few HD films last night and was running perfect...but again I am new to this so just have run on Samsung Tab before and alot better than that.....

Have direct connected into UPC BB, so not sure what performance is over the wireless.

Not much else to report yet as away for weekend so only got using for a few hours.....

• Advertisement

^^ Install Antutu from play store and run test. See what score it gets.

^^ Install Antutu from play store and run test. See what score it gets.

will do tomor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

XBMC Gotham, even the alpha/nightly build runs, much better than Frodo on android.
    As it's only in alphannot all addons may be updated/compatible but the main ones I use are.
    HD streaming is much improved.

XBMC Gotham, even the alpha/nightly build runs, much better than Frodo on android.
    As it's only in alphannot all addons may be updated/compatible but the main ones I use are.
    HD streaming is much improved.

Do you have to manually add in addon's? or is there quick packs to use>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Do you have to manually add in addon's? or is there quick packs to use>?

Same Add on wizard/installer as for frodo will work but not all the addons included in the 'bundle' may work until they developers update them.

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-gotham-on-its-way-to-beta-status/
    Especially for Android users there is a great benefit of installing the Gotham version over Frodo as it contains a vast amount of improvements which were to intrusive to be included in the Frodo 12.3 release. Also Gotham has an Android release for x86 hardware architecture which some manufacturers start using. Before downloading see if your device uses ARM or x86 hardware.

Performance results

CPU Integet - 2618
    CPU Float Point - 1842
    RAM Operation - 2024
    RAM Speed - 985
    2D Graphics - 1361
    3D Graphics - 2066
    Storage I/O - 968

^^ Results look decent, what was the total score?

How is the wifi on this thing? Did you do a speedtest?

^^ Results look decent, what was the total score?

How is the wifi on this thing? Did you do a speedtest?

Will run again and get final, just pulled those numbers

At the moment just running it on direct connect to UPC as it is sitting beside the router, will just set up wireless when I get a chance and run

Says 18083

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

are dual core tv sticks with 1GB ram

ok for 720p video playback and sports streaming?

I've got one on the way and that all I need it for

http://www.focalprice.com/EH0077B/UG007_Android_411_RK3066_DualCore_CortexA9_16_GHz_8G_Video_Player.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement