Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ordering Pizza

• 11-11-2011 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

This I could never understand. People ordering pizza from the likes of Domino's, apache and what have you

For whatever you'd spend on ordering a pizza from one of them places you'd get a whole stack of perfectly good pizzas from the supermarket and throw them in the freezer. They are just about the easiest food to prepare you could think of and if you don't like the frozen stuff (which is certainly no worse than the shyte you'd order from these pizza places) they are not hard to make from scratch either.

I tried this once when I was in the States. Fella shows up in whatever time it normally takes to remove the packaging and wait for it to cook in the oven, with a hape of burnt on the outside and still raw in the middle slap up and if you wouldn't give him the $2 or $3 tip he expected he'd come back the next day and burn your house down. For the tip alone I could have got a fecking massive frozen pizza from Wal*Mart

Now the reason this has started to bother me is because I get shaggers ringing the bell at random times asking did I order a pizza. Had one fella today sneeze at me over the intercom and hang up then when I went down lo and behold some fecker standing there with a pizza for someone else.

Also these lads seem to be doing a roaring trade in the middle of the recession so it must be fairly high on people's priorities. So what is the fecking attraction? Its massively popular with students too, you wouldn't think the same fella robbing toilet paper from the college would turn around and spend the best of 20e on a bloody pizza
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Answering the intercom when you're not expecting anyone is shameful OP. Hang your head!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

If I want cheap, greasy food, I don't want to actually cook it myself. Then I could have cooked something healthy.

Also, seriously, that bothers you. You must have an incredible life. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Try a frozen pizza, then a takeaway/delivered one and then ask the question.
    Frozen pizza is horrible, even the name brand. Its easier to go online click a few buttons and then wait.
    So what about the cost its my money and I shall bloody well spend it as I please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

OP if you think a frozen pizza is just as nice as a fresh one you clearly have no taste buds! :eek: be honest, you are a student and want to save your cash for beer right?? There is no other valid explanation !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭zyxwvu

Good, I'm glad somebody else is pointing out the inconsistency in peoples' takeaway spending habits; why are people only willing to spend about 6 or 7 euro in a chipper but will fork out 20 quid for a pizza? Do they really value it that highly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Some of the fresh pizza you get in the chilled section are alright and I have a soft spot for the Dr. Oetker pollo pizza but 90% of frozen pizza is muck, also these days you can get some pretty sweet deals from pizza delivery places. dominoes did a thing a while back along the lines of spend over €40 and get the lot half price, 4 peole fiver each TONNES of unreal food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'll order any takeaway except pizza. You're right. I just class it as something you throw in the oven at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

stovelid wrote: »
    I'll order any takeaway except pizza. You're right. I just class it as something you throw in the oven at home.

You have obviously never tasted the dominoes warm chocolate chip cookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mackg wrote: »

You have obviously never tasted the dominoes warm chocolate chip cookies.

Wouldn't be my ideal pizza topping but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

Frozen pizzas from Lidl are actually unbelievable. Lovely thin base's and not skimpy on the toppings either. they also have a good selection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

only time Ill order a pizza is when its stonebaked in an oven from a restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Thread is under cooked,stick it in the microwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Obviously none of u have heard of pizza hut. 8€ all u can eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Try a frozen pizza, then a takeaway/delivered one and then ask the question.
    Frozen pizza is horrible, even the name brand. Its easier to go online click a few buttons and then wait.
    So what about the cost its my money and I shall bloody well spend it as I please.

I did and there is very little difference. Unless you're buying the worst of the worst shyte frozen pizzas altogether they'd hardly even be better. I doubt too many of these expensive places will be using all fresh ingredients either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

eth0 wrote: »
    I did and there is very little difference. Unless you're buying the worst of the worst shyte frozen pizzas altogether they'd hardly even be better. I doubt too many of these expensive places will be using all fresh ingredients either
    I see you're from Letterkenny OP. I agree with Doninos and fourstar but Bellarosa do maybe the best pizza I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Damokc wrote: »
    Frozen pizzas from Lidl are actually unbelievable. Lovely thin base's and not skimpy on the toppings either. they also have a good selection.
    Yeah they're tasty. Aldi do good pizza too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Apache have any size up to 16 inch pizza for €9.99 including toppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

worst thing about supermarket/shop bought pizzas is the fact they never make em for people who dont like cheese or are allergic to dairy.

dominos and pizzahut dont even allow them to be ordered online without cheese but at least someone can phone through an order plus they often give discounts that are only meant for pizzas being picked up-if the caller talks to them very nice.:pac:

go and try a deep pan BBQ base+mushroom+chicken+ bacon pizza [and cheese if must] before writing them off, god what a beauty that pizza is.

kingtut wrote: »
    OP if you think a frozen pizza is just as nice as a fresh one you clearly have no taste buds! :eek: be honest, you are a student and want to save your cash for beer right?? There is no other valid explanation !!

If I'd no taste buds I'd be distilling the alcohol from hand sanitisers in the college and be drinking that instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Scruffles wrote: »
    worst thing about supermarket/shop bought pizzas is the fact they never make em for people who dont like cheese or are allergic to dairy.

dominos and pizzahut dont even allow them to be ordered online without cheese but at least someone can phone through an order plus they often give discounts that are only meant for pizzas being picked up-if the caller talks to them very nice.:pac:

go and try a deep pan BBQ base+mushroom+chicken+ bacon pizza [and cheese if must] before writing them off, god what a beauty that pizza is.
    Why in the name of fuuck would you want to do that anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I love ordering a pizza fresh from domino's so tasty!:D mmmm nom nom nom!

I once had a pizza with only the red sauce on the bread. Awful stuff

apparently popular in the states as something that's supposed to please everyone but you'll always get some gluten intolerant tomato alergic fecker who doesn't eat sauce for (anti) religious reasons over there.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I see you're from Letterkenny OP. I agree with Doninos and fourstar but Bellarosa do maybe the best pizza I've ever had.

I must try it but if its not good you'll suffer the same fate as the lad who wouldn't pay his $3 tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Gawd I really want some pizza now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

I think we're all missing the point here....It's the thrill of ordering the pizza....the antisipation when you hear that knock on the door....the excitement when you first open the box...and then that glorious warm smell. Mmmmm pizza!

Only messin, i agree with you OP, total waste of money but i think it all comes down to laziness and fact that any food in general always tastes nicer when someone else has cooked it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

ah positive and negatives all round, they're both different, takeaway ones are cooked in proper oven and doesn't compare to the shop bought but then do i want to spend 20 quid on pizza? f no! the apache 10 euro for large is decent tho

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

They can take our lives but they will never take our pizza - William Wallace

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Noor kebabas in Limerick: 2 x 9" pizzas w 2 toppings, 2 chips and 2 cans of desired mineral €10 delivered. Pay around €3 on average for a frozen pizza alone from the supermarket and then you have the hassle of cooking it :p

Ordering this way is much better. Juss sayin'. Sure there are similar deals like this everywhere, not just Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I object to domino's and 4star using the term "pizza" greasy doughy bread with toppings in more apt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

eth0 wrote: »
    This I could never understand. People ordering pizza from the likes of Domino's, apache and what have you

For whatever you'd spend on ordering a pizza from one of them places you'd get a whole stack of perfectly good pizzas from the supermarket and throw them in the freezer. They are just about the easiest food to prepare you could think of and if you don't like the frozen stuff (which is certainly no worse than the shyte you'd order from these pizza places) they are not hard to make from scratch either.

I tried this once when I was in the States. Fella shows up in whatever time it normally takes to remove the packaging and wait for it to cook in the oven, with a hape of burnt on the outside and still raw in the middle slap up and if you wouldn't give him the $2 or $3 tip he expected he'd come back the next day and burn your house down. For the tip alone I could have got a fecking massive frozen pizza from Wal*Mart

Now the reason this has started to bother me is because I get shaggers ringing the bell at random times asking did I order a pizza. Had one fella today sneeze at me over the intercom and hang up then when I went down lo and behold some fecker standing there with a pizza for someone else.

Also these lads seem to be doing a roaring trade in the middle of the recession so it must be fairly high on people's priorities. So what is the fecking attraction? Its massively popular with students too, you wouldn't think the same fella robbing toilet paper from the college would turn around and spend the best of 20e on a bloody pizza

I don't know what's hard to understand. The pizzas you order are ten times as nice as the frozen ones. I haven't had one myself in months but it's something most people order the odd time because it's quality.

Advertisement